FJ-09 lowest OTD price thread. Dealers hate this thread lol

If we want to compare apples-to-apples, please leave out taxes, delivery, prep, and all the other garbage ;)
Actually I think you should include prep and delivery because some dealers charge those and some don't. They're basically just fake fees to pad dealer profit. But yeah, leave off the taxes/gov't fees.
Sorry, I misspoke. Agreed; If you pay $9,400 for a bike and $600 for 'dealer prep' you just paid $10,000 to the dealer for that bike.  Leaving out tax/tag/title levels the playing field.    I'm glad I'm past the purchase process! 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Purchased my FJ from Memphis Yamaha in May. They have since sold their 2nd FJ.

Advertised price = $9400.  There were an extra $100 in fees.  Bought it on a demo day, so Yamaha corporate discounted the bags $500.  Also traded in a 2008 WR250X for $1500 - we split the difference between their original trade-in offer and what I thought I could get retail.  Paid home state taxes, so that was a separate transaction at the local county office.

OTD price INCLUDING bags and mounts installed, NOT including trade-in, registration, or tax = $10,075

• 4 weeks later...
Picked up mine at Westfield Motorsports in Westfield, IN. $9595 out the door, including $395 handling/prep and $99 document fee. Everything marked on the card hanging on the handlebar on the showroom floor. They had one red (mine) and three grey, one of them was a demo machine. 10% off bags, mounts, key locks and heated grips. Considered it a good deal, six other dealers around all asking full $10,490. Had to drive 80 miles one way but next closest dealer was still 50 miles away.

I just came back from my dealer ( in Belgium ) and he's willing to give me a lava red FJ09 2015 model for 9990€ ( 500€ under msrp, thats 550$ US ) no added costs since it's the floor model.
He's alo giving me a coupon for 20% off 3 items (accesories or gear), and my first service is free.

i'm wondering if i should go for it instead of waiting for the 2016 model.
Seeing what Yamaha is doing with the colors for the FZ07/09 i'm afraid the beautifull red will be turned into some garish graphic that i want no part of.
But knowing my luck it will most likely have cruise control next year.

I just bought mine 2 weeks ago at Pro-Calibure Motorcycle in Vancouver, WA.  Paid $9500 OTD + tax and title.  negotiated the deal before going in and it was pretty smooth sailing after that.  They have several of both colors left on the floor.  They did try to pawn a 40 mile demo off on me but i noticed the tires were scrubbed in a little and asked.  said nope, i want a bran spanking new one.... .01 miles.  loving the bike. 

I have spoken to a few dealers in the southern Chicagoland suburbs and have been quoted $10,900 - $10,700 otd and no options. Seems high compared to the deals i'm seeing on here. How many of you had trade-ins?

I shopped around at my 3 local dealers and 2 were right at $11k otd and the other was $10,600. Found my bike listed at $9399 on cycle trader so I bought it that evening. There are deals out there shop around. I drove an hour away to get mine.

• Premium Member
How many of you had trade-ins?
No trade-in here. I bought mine $1000 off MSRP ($9490+tax) at a very high volume dealer near Salem, Oregon. The place is bigger than some car dealerships and they had at least 10-15 FJ-09s in stock when I bought mine.

My experience with larger dealers over the years is that it might be easier to negotiate a better purchase deal, but you are less likely to get personal, quality service. If you can find a great small, local dealer it might be worth spending a few extra $$$ up front.

I bought my red FJ09 from a rural dealer in western Pennsylvania, Ebensburg Yamaha. They had one red and one gray bike in stock. They advertised a price of $9,999 OTD in Cycletrader and came through with that price, which included all taxes (7%) and fees, including titling, plate, and inspection. Selling price of bike was $9,128.97 to make it all work out to $9,999. I also received 15% off accessories.

Kurt

Archived