• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Lifting the front

jetpilot5

I was super impressed with my Niken test ride and am considering buying one. I'd like to be able to pull the front wheels for tire changes without going to a dealer. I understand there's a front work stand that is a Yamaha dealer tool. I've never seen a picture of this stand or been able to find it online. The only other option I've seen is the Abba stand which would be nice to have but at $700 is pretty expensive just to be able to change tires. Could you lift the front using a shop crane with a strap around the handlebars? You'd only need to just get the tires off the ground, maybe a half inch or so. Any other options?

Abba stand.

Abba stand.JPG

I did manage to grab a screen shot of the Yamaha service stand. The tech in the video said it's not available to customers though. He's in the UK so I don't know if that would be the case here in the US. You can also see the front end alignment tool sticking out from in between the front wheels.

Stand1.jpg

Stand3.jpg

Stand4.jpg

Edited by jetpilot5
Added information.

• Supporting Member

Doesn’t the Niken have a center stand?   If so, it should be easy to pull the rear down a bit to lift the front off the ground.   My FJ is slightly nose heavy on the center stand, but a couple of tie downs from the rear rack to something solid on the ground (I use the rear eyebolts on my lift) and the front lifts right up.   You can put something under the exhaust headers for added support and safety.   

If there isn’t a center stand on the Niken,  then I guess this isn’t going to help you... 

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Doesn’t the Niken have a center stand?   If so, it should be easy to pull the rear down a bit to lift the front off the ground.

VERY easy to do on the FJ/Tracer but the Niken is a full 100lbs heavier... all located in the front end.

A Pitbull front stand wouldn't work due to the wheel placement, the only thing I can think of is a narrow jack between the 2 wheels, (could be disastrous) or 2 jacks on the outside of the wheels with a cross bar lifting in sync. or tilting the bike to lift one side off the ground and replacing one wheel at a time. 🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, betoney said:

VERY easy to do on the FJ/Tracer but the Niken is a full 100lbs heavier... all located in the front end.

I figured it was heavier, but I had no idea it was by that much...   Still, I would be interested in pushing down on the back and seeing how much effort it takes to pivot the front off the ground.   Weight on the back and a block under the exhaust still seems like the easiest thing to try.   

• Thumbsup 1

I hadn't thought about trying to pivot on the center stand. If it's not too heavy up front that would work. Using a shop crane with a strap around the bars would be dead simple as long as you knew for sure it wouldn't do any damage. The bars are way out in the open and easy to access.

I'm also going to try and run past a dealer this week and check on getting a factory service stand. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

From your pics, this looks easy/cheap/effective:

image.thumb.png.3d8ecbd2ef8364729370a79e188f7d4d.png

..otherwise, I'm sure you're right about an engine hoist or overhead crane.  Obviously there'd be a specific point to lift from.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I plan to put some Michelin Pilot Road or Sport on mine (the OE tyre is rock hard and slides too easily - their crap).

I'm just gonna put it on the centre stand and jack up using the downpipes. As long as the wheel bolts are loosened a little whilst on the floor I dont see a problem with this approach, as although the front end is heavy, jacking is not a dynamic load.

• Thumbsup 1

Is there a flat enough spot to use the pipes?

Stand1.thumb.jpg.74fe20a3cf1f26347f19a6d789441d16.jpg

I do think you make a good point about the load. Thinking about lifting by what would normally be the top triple clamp on a regular bike puts a load on all the bearings that are normally loaded from below when riding. I would think that if those bearings can survive the beating a poor road surface gives them or a badly landed wheelie they could sure stand up to being lifted from above with just the front end weight while stationary.

Then again, what do I know. I plan on running past the dealer on Tuesday and will post up what they have to say.

Where are you finding a US supplier of sporty tires in the 15 inch size? I don't even own a Niken yet but have been looking at different tires.🙄😉

• Thumbsup 1

I'll probably knock up a plywood cradle that sits on the jack. I do have an electric hoist, so could use that to lift the front. Using the downpipes to lift the front or lifting by other ways should be fine. The actual weight of the front end is about 160kg, so not a huge amount.

Im in the UK. The Niken is limited to 130mph, so i will get 120/70 15 56H tyres and likely Michelin Pilots (about £75 each) - these are way stickier than the rubbish it comes with. Will also put the same make on the back - the OEM rear is also naff.

Edited by pilninggas

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, jetpilot5 said:

Where are you finding a US supplier of sporty tires in the 15 inch size? I don't even own a Niken yet but have been looking at different tires.🙄😉

Most standard scooter tires should be 15”.   Lots of quality tires made for scooters. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have lifted the front wheel on my 2015 FJ-09 by using the center stand and having a patient friend sit on the pillion.  It's not too hard to lift the front that way.  If I were to work on a Niken, I have an engine lift I use in my shop for cars.  I think it would be easy to rig a loop under the front suspension of a Niken and lift it while on the center stand.  Since you can purchase engine lifts fairly cheap that can be folded up when not in use (got mine for $199 on sale), this might be another option.  

Ride Safe.  

On 11/22/2020 at 11:13 PM, betoney said:

Most standard scooter tires should be 15”.   Lots of quality tires made for scooters. 

just make sure they are H or V rated so good for the top speed of the Niken.

thought id had that i have the Gt model, which has a centrestand (mainstand) - i assume the North America model has one also. Having the bike on the centrestand with a jack on under the downpipes or similar seems reasonable, but i wouldnt be considering it if the rear was on something like a paddock stand (i tried my oxford paddock stand on mine, out of interest, the niken started to bend it!)

Edited by pilninggas

Speaking with my local Yamaha dealer didn't provide much information. The service advisor assured me that they could do any service the Niken required yet when I asked if they had the tools and stands needed to service the front end he wasn't aware of anything special required. They never had a Niken in stock and initial response to me having a questions about the bike lead to a "We don't know anything about them" response. Sounds like I wouldn't be using my local shop for front end service work.

The dealer I'm working with on a purchase did tell me they do have the service equipment. If it comes time to sign paperwork on a deal I'll check and see if they can give me more info on the stand. Too bad they're 150 miles away.

The Yamaha cradle for lifting the front end is a listed special tool. I'm sure if they sell them, then they will have it for doing tyre changes. I couldn't justify it for my own tyre changes and services (i service myself and have a shared ownership of a tyre machine which is kept in my workshop). I do have engine bars, so might fab-up something in mild steel that can transfer weight from them to the jack head.

• Thumbsup 2