Lifting the front

jetpilot5

• Supporting Member

From the Yamaha Niken owners forum on Facebook, one of the owners there built his own stand. Have requested information as to how he built this. 

8B58045E-FF87-4882-9E4F-B0AF3DD5DE49.jpeg

258371EA-7880-4B7C-A0CE-9FCC58EFD76B.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

That’s interesting, very similar to the factory tool. I’ll be interested to learn more. Haven’t had the chance to use my Yamaha stand yet, I’ve got the bike pickled with more snow on the way tomorrow. 🥶

• 2 months later...

Finally got the chance to try out my factory front stand. I picked up a scissor jack the other day just for this purpose. Slip both sides of the stand into the frame, slide the bottom bar in to place and tighten the thumb screws. Pop the bike up on the center-stand, slide the jack under the bottom bar and you're good to go. Simple and very stable. 

I've noticed my handling deteriorating lately and wanted to check the front and make sure everything was OK. Once the front wheels are off the ground it's easy to push, pull, twist, turn, shake etc. Happy to report everything seems fine, tight with no play but easy to move with no binding through full travel in all directions. I'm putting the handling degradation down to worn tires. I'm almost into the wear bars at the back and not much better off in the front at only 2,700 miles. I'll be surprised if the OEM tires make it to 5,000 miles. Pilot Road 4s sitting here ready to install.

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

Edited by jetpilot5
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, jetpilot5 said:

Finally got the chance to try out my factory front stand. I picked up a scissor jack the other day just for this purpose. Slip both side of the stand into the frame, slide the bottom bar in to place and tighten the thumb screws. Pop the bike up on the center-stand, slide the jack under the bottom bar and you're good to go. Simple and very stable. 

I've noticed my handling deteriorating lately and wanted to check the front and make sure everything was OK. Once the front wheels are off the ground it's easy to push, pull, twist, turn, shake etc. Happy to report everything seems fine, tight with no play but easy to move with no binding through full travel in all directions. I'm putting the handling degradation down to worn tires. I'm almost into the wear bars at the back and not much better off in the front at only 2,700 miles. I'll be surprised if the OEM tires make it to 5,000 miles. Pilot Road 4s sitting here ready to install.

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

That is ridiculous how short tire life is. Either you're  doing burnouts at every opportunity or the Niken is like the first generation '91 Acura NSXs that had the double whammy of extreme rear toe in and super grippy high performance rear tires where it was not unusual to be swapping rear tires every 5-6k miles. 

2019 Niken GT

• 1 month later...

Managed to find a second hand Abba lift with spindle adapter kit locally .

Made up a copy of the attachments for lifting front out of some box section that way destined for the scrap yard.

Works ok, so clean up and a coat of red paint will look like the real thing :)

Fitted my new Power 3 front tyres be interesting to see how they go ( 10,000kms from original fronts but well worn ! )

20210607_131005.jpg

20210607_125045.jpg

20210606_092727.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

From Baz Brown in the Facebook Niken owners page who gave  me his blessing to post his home made Niken scissor jack design. Obviously one would need access to the appropriate tools / materials to even attempt this, but am sharing as a public service announcement for all Niken owners. Special thanks to Baz Brown. 

52CB3052-4AEB-4E06-9292-A23BA779C667.jpeg

FA449684-14A9-4726-9463-F9FB310D8595.jpeg

83BABF69-435F-4F51-AE5F-6CAB022FE840.jpeg

DA284E53-F42F-4E3F-B2AC-6A61C25ADCAD.jpeg

4C18384F-4F5C-4FE4-88F8-E3AD53CF2D87.jpeg

B2D6BD93-ACDA-466D-8318-7AF7ED0FB5ED.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

With detailed measurements and build notes.  Leg support assembly schematics still in progress  - will post once available. Again special thanks Baz Brown. 

75A6659C-E8B7-4122-B267-C8F153E90C5F.jpeg

5EEB120A-EEC6-4DF4-A38D-20A5A2EE6609.jpeg

FD4DD359-919E-4227-AB5D-816E20D24E72.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 11/27/2020 at 3:26 PM, jetpilot5 said:

Finally got a definitive answer on this. The knowledge base on this bike varies widely between dealers. 

I sent an email to a dealer I'm working with on a potential purchase asking about lifting the front for service and whether there was a front wheel adaptor for balancing a non-traditional front wheel. Here's what I got back.

"Yamaha sent us 3 tools on the essential tool program. This is what they send out to dealers when new models come out and special tools are needed to service them.
Here is what we received,
Jack Stand #90890-01596  $233.99
Wheel alignment toe gauge #90890-01595  $540.99
Steering nut wrench  # 90890-01598  $106.99

Could not find out any info on an adapter for balancing the front wheels. In the Yamaha service manual under the static balancing section it just says to place wheel on balancing machine and add weight where needed.

Service manual is also available. #Lit-11616-32-18  $89.99  

You can purchase any or all these if you like."

In my case I would be inclined to purchase the Yamaha Jack Stand. Smaller and easier to store than a shop crane and also frees up the handlebars allowing anything on the front to be serviced. Not really any more expensive either.

Regarding lifting the bike from the headers, I did find a video where they did just that. In this case lifting from the right side and pushing down on the rear wheel. This put the entire bikes weight on the headers and the side stand. I wouldn't try this at home but it can apparently be done without damage.

Lifted.jpg

Am curious what the wheel  alignment toe gage and steering nut wrench tools look like....

2019 Niken GT

Not for the Niken apparently, but one of my favorite garage toys is a front 'pin' stand, which inserts a pin (duh!) into your triple tree and supports the motorcycle chassis while leaving you free to dismantle the entire front end if you so choose. Safe and secure.

There are a number of different size pins available, to fit the many variations out there. My kit came with 5 assorted pins, which has sufficed for every MC I've worked on in the last decade or so.

pin-type stand.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 7 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Has anyone attempted to use a Quickjack to raise their Niken?

Just saw that Quickjack has both a motorcycle and ATV kit for their quickjacks. 

BF5B887C-8935-448A-B9DD-59241E124D70.jpeg

BDBC3B43-C76D-4ADF-BC7E-111EE661F9A0.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Has anyone attempted to use a Quickjack to raise their Niken?

Just saw that Quickjack has both a motorcycle and ATV kit for their quickjacks. 

BF5B887C-8935-448A-B9DD-59241E124D70.jpeg

BDBC3B43-C76D-4ADF-BC7E-111EE661F9A0.jpeg

Those ATV lifts take up a lot of room and when working on a 2 wheel bike you have a lot of real-estate to reach over. There are quite a few bike lifts that have side panels that can be attached for ATV work when needed saving save floor space.

He who dies with the most toys wins.