Recommend a new riding jacket

On 11/23/2020 at 3:23 PM, Ride365 said:

Aerostich Darien.....all you need. :) 

Or Klim (Latitude for sport touring). Gore-Tex. Waterproof for life. Good venting. No removable layers and all you need is heated liner (if you ride in colder weather).

• Thumbsup 3

1 hour ago, Rick123 said:

Or Klim (Latitude for sport touring).

No offense, but I wouldn't touch anything from Klim thats not snowmobile gear. They are going heavy into that right now and neglecting the quality on their moto gear right now.

16 hours ago, kilo3 said:

No offense, but I wouldn't touch anything from Klim thats not snowmobile gear. They are going heavy into that right now and neglecting the quality on their moto gear right now.

Yup and nothing out there is more expensive either, even with the quality going down and other flaws. 

Back when Olympia was still operating, I used to compare things like my AST2 jacket against Klim and wonder why anyone would pay that much more for Klim.  I really hope my current Olympia gear lasts for the rest of my riding career because I see little that compare for the quality, attention to detail and price.

Chris

1 hour ago, Clem Fandango said:

Aerostich makes functional and durable kit, but I just can't get past the "homemade from a potato sack" look.  Call me shallow.

I don't feel that at all, especially comparing to ANYTHING that is off the rack. KLIM and Stich both are Gore-Tex, but Stich is less expensive and the major advantage is personal factory repairs and alterations. I love my Stich gear, have the Darien light jacket and the AD1 britches.

21 hours ago, kilo3 said:

My Latitude Misano is back from 2015 and no complaints so far. Can't say much about how is it now but I think you're right - not the same quality as it used to be. Welcome to Made in China.

4 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Yup and nothing out there is more expensive either, even with the quality going down and other flaws. 

Perhaps you should check Rukka for pricing.

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, daboo said:

Back when Olympia was still operating, I used to compare things like my AST2 jacket against Klim and wonder why anyone would pay that much more for Klim.  I really hope my current Olympia gear lasts for the rest of my riding career because I see little that compare for the quality, attention to detail and price.

Chris

I like Olympia too (have X-Moto for years) but people pay more because Klim is made of Gore -Tex. If Olympia had they gear made of Gore-Tex it wouldn't be cheaper. I wouldn't mind to buy from them though because I always liked their design and functionality.

• Premium Member
On 11/24/2020 at 6:36 PM, Rick123 said:

Or Klim (Latitude for sport touring). Gore-Tex. Waterproof for life. Good venting. No removable layers and all you need is heated liner (if you ride in colder weather).

I'm disappointed in my Klim Apex. Have a rip at the bottom zipper snap on the inside of the storm flap at 14 months old. I think it's a function of the stress from the snap pulling on the Gore. They won't warranty.

I can pay them $70 + shipping for a repair that won't color match and they make no guarantees about. They're really just sending it back to Gore. 

They're charging Aerostich money without Aerostich reliability.

I bought AD1 pants and I looked long and hard at the Darien but decided it wouldn't vent well enough for the Deep South in the shoulder seasons.

I just thought a $650 Klim would last longer than my first $200 Tourmaster. 

Back when Olympia was still operating, I used to compare things like my AST2 jacket against Klim and wonder why anyone would pay that much more for Klim.

Gore tex works. There was even a Fort 9 video showing how good Gore tex was. They charge a premium for the name brand, but other breathable waterproof membranes don't work as well. 

When I bought the Klim I thought I was buying a 5 to 10 year jacket so it didn't bother me (or, more importantly, my wife 😁 ) to pay $650 for a jacket compared to $350 for a jacket. 

• Thumbsup 1

I have Klim Latitude jacket and pants.  They're fantastic and keeps me totally dry in heavy rain.  I bought my Klim gear last year.  No trouble with the quality what so ever.  To each his own.  I come from the FJR touring crowd.  Many of my friends there recommend Klim also.

• Thumbsup 2

Aerostich but it doesn’t fit everyone off the shelf, I’m not the everyone though. 🤪

I prefer the Roadcrafter one piece always have. I have the two piece but rarely wear that. Down to 65 degrees I’m in my Vanson Sportrider jacket! 

5C45ED8E-B5C2-4929-A8C1-FD0ABF79E77D.jpeg

12 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

I'm disappointed in my Klim Apex. Have a rip at the bottom zipper snap on the inside of the storm flap at 14 months old. I think it's a function of the stress from the snap pulling on the Gore. They won't warranty.

I can pay them $70 + shipping for a repair that won't color match and they make no guarantees about. They're really just sending it back to Gore. 

They're charging Aerostich money without Aerostich reliability.

I bought AD1 pants and I looked long and hard at the Darien but decided it wouldn't vent well enough for the Deep South in the shoulder seasons.

I just thought a $650 Klim would last longer than my first $200 Tourmaster. 

Gore tex works. There was even a Fort 9 video showing how good Gore tex was. They charge a premium for the name brand, but other breathable waterproof membranes don't work as well. 

When I bought the Klim I thought I was buying a 5 to 10 year jacket so it didn't bother me (or, more importantly, my wife 😁 ) to pay $650 for a jacket compared to $350 for a jacket. 

Made in Vietnam all I had to see. Yes I have many friends who’ve bought it. 25 years with aerostich and I’ve had not one issue with a zipper, fading yes,some Velcro failure after 10 years, oh well,  fit yes I lost weight and had to rebuy it all. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, roy826 said:

Made in Vietnam all I had to see. Yes I have many friends who’ve bought it. 25 years with aerostich and I’ve had not one issue with a zipper, fading yes,some Velcro failure after 10 years, oh well,  fit yes I lost weight and had to rebuy it all. 

Promise you - Aerostich zippers fail. They'll tell you that with the newer, more waterproof ones. They are very up front with what works well on their suits and what doesn't.