Recommend a new riding jacket

In similar situation and needing to replace a SPADA jacket and trouser set that have given a good few years excellent service. I am going to go for an Oxford Mondial Advanced set of Jacket and trousers. Good reviews and a good price for a laminated set of waterproof and all weather gear. But time will tell if I have made the correct decision. (Sorry, couldn't find a picture of the suit with a Tracer)

DSC_3671-scaled-e1578328697309.jpg

• Premium Member

I live in South Florida so my go to jacket for local riding is mesh. On trips I have been using a Firstgear Killimanjaro jacket. For travel it really suits my needs and style. It's a stand alone jacket. Waterproof (with no liner) but with enough venting options to keep you cool when it's not raining. I use normal off the shelf fleece for insulation when riding and it' has been fine down to near freezing 35* - 40* F. 

About the only downside  is the weight. It is pretty heavy.  I wore it on a recent trip to Murphy NC. where I did run into some extremely heavy rain with no leaks or seepage. 

There are some pictures of me wearing it in Ride Reports  "Heading to Murphy NC". For the record I am 6'1" 200lbs with long arms and legs 34" inseam and I'm wearing a standard XL. I'm not sure that a large would fit with extra layers underneath.

Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket - RevZilla

Heading to Murphy NC - Page 2 - Ride Reports - FJ09 Tracer 900 Forum

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, TurnerVonLefty said:

My current Olympic textile jacket is 8 years old and is starting to wear out. Looking for recommendations for a textile ADV style jacket - preferably something with multiple layers good for 4 season riding. 

Thanks in advance.

TVL

I’m not aware of any riding gear that is truly Fourseason comfortable, I have vented riding gear for summer and warmer days as well as waterproof riding gear for cooler, wet riding. 

I have tried adventure style jackets and pants in the summer and have never found adequate airflow.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I use a mesh jacket and pants in summer here on the right coast.  Where we Regularly have riding days in the 90s.

On a July trip to the Champlain Islands they made a big difference.  I don't think I could have continued the ride in non-mesh gear. As long as I was moving the cooling air flowed.

Mesh clothing is relatively inexpensive compared to textile gear.  I have a Bilt mesh jacket ($99) and Sedechi mesh pants ($149).

And while not as protective as my textile stuff, they are a hell of a lot better than a Tee shirt n shorts!

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

I've got an Olympia 3-layer that's similar to this

olympia_troy_jacket_black.jpg

The Troy does it all. Huge mesh for summer, rain jacket for wet...

...so the mesh is the main layer.  Then you can add a thermal layer (zipped to the inside of the mesh layer, and velcro tabs in the sleeves) and/or a rain layer.  The rain layer can be worn inside (also zippered in) or outside (which I prefer).

This was among the better choices for value when I was looking ~2 years ago.

EDIT:  it's the Alpha - and on sale for a scream of a deal:

olympia_alpha_jacket_slate.jpg

The Alpha Jacket is the first thing you'll reach for when...

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Im in the market for a new summer jacket but tend to more sport styled gear.  Here in the south it gets cold enough in the winter to need descent winter gear but the hot and humid summers really test gear.  Ive made several long trips and plan more.  They are in the summer months when the weather is nicer buuuuuut!  In lat May I left Alabama and rode to Southerner's Dakota, down across Wyoming and on th Moab Utah.  It was in the 80s when I left so wore my mesh jacket.  It was 100F riding to Moab, 99F the next day when I went to canyon lands national park.  The following day I rode to Rock Springs Wyoming.  350 miles with 250 miles in the rain.  Temperature when I left Moab were mid 60s, dropped to mid 50s after it started raining and continued to drop as I went north eventually bottoming at 34.7F and rain!  Basically a miserable day but since I was on a motorcycle riding it was a good day - or a memorable day!  I've looked at a lot of gear for that type of scenario.  100F means a T shirt under a mesh jacket with First Gear overprints.  Basically my philosophy is have a good safe jacket that works when it is really hot then add layers to get it to work in more adverse conditions.  When it get colder I add layers including a FreezeOut jacket from Cycle Gear - insulation plus wind breaker.  For more cold I add layers under it and a rain jacket on top for additional wind block.  For a rain jacket I just bought a good one but typically use the lightweight Frogg Toggs rain suits from WalMart.  They don't last long but a couple of days is about all I need on each trip and it is easy to cary a backup jacket.  LOL when I ran into the cold rain my heated glove liners were safely in the bottom of my duffle bag and the heated liner was at home.  I did 250 of the 350 miles that day with two T-shirts, a fleece jacket and a Frogg Toggs rain suit over my mesh jacket and First Gear pants.  Heated grips were on high and I got cold but made it thru OK.  On long trips I pack as light as possible with the plan of washing clothes every few days and if I have to will go to a WalMart and buy a sweatshirt.  

Whatever jacket you get please invest in some good protection in back protector, holder and elbow pads and chest protectors.  They don't make it cooler but will help if you go down.  I prefer the non Neutonian materials for the back protectors and other pads.

I'm working on installing a Neutrino for power functions and plan on using it as a heated gear controller.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

i just bought a Dainese Carve Master 2 over the weekend. initially zoom in X-Tourer D-Dry as it has plenty of zip to let the air in due to our 365 climate. the switch to Carve Master was because it was waterproof build in and has 6 zips for ventilation. X-Tourer has separate waterproof lining and winter which we dont need here. was asking myself, if i travel shot distant and it rains, the burden of having to remove my jacket and wore the waterproof lining and sametime need to bring along wherever i go (i dont have any top box or pannier) , hence settled for Carve Master 2. 

I had the Tourmaster Koraza Jacket and its hot as hell in our weather here, need to zip up half and at one time i had the puig touring and its sure hot as volcano, gotta stand up every 15 mins to catch some wind. 

• Thumbsup 1

HGP61,I hope you will like the oxford mondial,i went to sportbikeshop to try one on and it was like a thin rag so i bought the oxford hinterland about 3 times thicker tri-laminate instead of double and it is really good with not a drop of rain even staying on the outside let alone getting in.Also it was only £50 more so a no brainer for me.Also i got a blue one to go with the bike.

Edited by yamtracergaz

For my own comfort, I've yet to find riding apparel that is 4 season that performs well at the extremes. If the gear keeps me comfy at 110 degrees, it'll need way too many layers to keep me warm at 35 degrees. Conversely, the gear that keeps me toasty at 35 will make me have a heat stroke at 110.  So I have summer gear and winter gear, and in the spring/fall I pick whichever one fits the particular day. 

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Aerostich Darien.....all you need. :) 

+1. The Darien will be comfortable year round in leftern Canada where you live. It's vented and there are a variety of heated and unheated liners that zip in. It's expensive up front, but you'll still be wearing it 15 years from now. 

I tried this RST one on at Sportsbikeshop in UK but felt it was too big for me but seemed very well made.

£230 and identical airbag version for £400

RST Pro Series Adventure-X CE Textile Jacket - Ice / Blue / Red / Black...

In the end I went for a smaller one on the RST range with an incorporated airbag, RST GT Airbag CE

6 hours ago, yamtracergaz said:

HGP61,I hope you will like the oxford mondial,i went to sportbikeshop to try one on and it was like a thin rag

A riding buddy has one and gets on well with it and If it lives up to the reviews, it should do nicely, I was wanting something to replace an older Spada set and a lighter jacket I only used in the summer months. planning a Europe tour when we are able to travel again and wanted something with good airflow and vents as well as good waterproofing. My Mondial trousers arrived today and I am pleased with the quality and fit. The jacket arrived the other day but my wife is buying that for me as a christmas  pressy and when I told her of the sportsbikeshop return policy she decided she would keep it from me til the 25th of next month (because she likes surprises. 

Yes i was attracted to it because of the reviews [until i felt it] but the main thing is if it fits you well and you want vents then that's good,i wanted as few vents as possible to make it waterproof as it is mainly for winter,i use my leathers in the summer.Also it says it is waterproof so you will be happy with it.Oxfords do not come with back protectors,so i would suggest you invest in one,i got a ce level 2 oxford one for £25.

Edited by yamtracergaz