Painting Gold Forks

Shizzle

Not a fan of the Gold Forks, anyone paint them? I have some Flat Black Plasti-Dip paint I thought I would try and see if I like the look. If I don't like it then I can peel it off. But if I do like it maybe more of a permanent solution. Thoughts? Anyone do this?

5 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Probably have to remove to paint right? On reinstall the paint will be scraped off by the triple tree.

Wasn't planning on removing them. Probably remove the fender and then tape everything else off. Or maybe just leave them the hell alone. Just not a fan of the Gold. 

Plasti-dip would be a good prototype test if you like the color. It will probably scratch a bit on reinstall since it's so flimsy.

A true (and quality) powder coat would be a permanent solution. Since the triples have a slight expansion, an extra couple thou from the powder coat on the fork diameter shouldn't effect fitment. 

'15 FJ09

I think vinyl wrap would be a better option. They make them for dirt bike fork protection. I had carbon fibre ones on a CR .looks great.. Or you can get full sheets and cut your own .If you don't like , peel it off.       Mike

• Thumbsup 2

Powder coat or you're just wasting your time and money. Of course that means the entire fork assembly is gonna need to be completely disassembled, but I can see no other way to do it right or permanent. 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

@Shizzle - I remember seeing someone here on the forum had wrapped the forks in a black vinyl, and it actually looked really good.   I guess you would just start below the lower triple clamp and work down from there...   

Worth a try, and easy to undo if you don’t like the way it turns out.  

15 hours ago, texscottyd said:

@Shizzle - I remember seeing someone here on the forum had wrapped the forks in a black vinyl, and it actually looked really good.   I guess you would just start below the lower triple clamp and work down from there...   

Worth a try, and easy to undo if you don’t like the way it turns out.  

Yeah the "real" 3M black vinyl wrap could be a potential winner, and yeah easy to reverse back if not happy with the results.

• Thumbsup 1