side cases removal

Skidood

I'm picking up my new GT a couple days from now and trailering it home.  I'd like to use ratchet straps on the rear of the bike as well as the front but it looks like the side cases (is that what you call them?) will be in the way of the straps.  There is nothing in the Tracer manual I downloaded off the net explaining how to remove them.  I will need to remove them at the dealer and this particular dealer is not the kind of dealer that you would want to ask to do it for you. 

Can someone let me know how to remove them?   Thanks so much.

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, Skidood said:

I'm picking up my new GT a couple days from now and trailering it home.  I'd like to use ratchet straps on the rear of the bike as well as the front but it looks like the side cases (is that what you call them?) will be in the way of the straps.  There is nothing in the Tracer manual I downloaded off the net explaining how to remove them.  I will need to remove them at the dealer and this particular dealer is not the kind of dealer that you would want to ask to do it for you. 

Can someone let me know how to remove them?   Thanks so much.

Baffling that a DEALER wouldn't tell you how to remove the bags. 🙄

I don't have the city bags so don't know how they operate but pretty sure you insert the key and lift the handle...  I have used ratchet straps on my bike many times and always attach the rear straps to the passenger foot peg mount, no need to remove the bags.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Nope, just the key lock.  Lifting the handle does retract a bar that locks them in place but you have to look to see the.  I've pulled mine off loaded and taken them in where I was staying.  Just a bit of caution so that I didn't pull the lever up with the handle and dump the contents on the ground - didn't have any problems because it wasn't raining and the ground was dry!

To remove case put in key and turn, lift handle cases are unlocked from bike, to open case pull up seperate lever, lid won't open till you do that.

If you lock case with handle up the lid is locked, a metal bar with red tab shows the lid is locked but you can't lock to bag to the bike

Edited by nigel5
  • Thumbsup 1

And to reinstall them guide the Mount on the bottom of the bag over the bracket and then drop the bag onto the top mounts and push down until fully seated.

Remounting them is a bit tricker than pulling them off!

I find it easier to do with bike on the center stand rather than on an angle on the side stand.

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09