Innovv K2 Dash Cameras

SC3896

6 minutes ago, knyte said:

I've got several SJCAMs and love them (for the price), been thinking about doing the same thing you did.  I gather you mounted them in the waterproof housing?  How did you wire a power lead through the case?

Drill and hot glue my friend. The glue is easily removed and replaced when you need access to the camera, which I haven't needed to do since I got the DVR settings setup right.

• Thanks 1

I like the idea of a dash cam type camera but the quality has put me off.  I've been running GoPros for years now not only as an action camera but as a forward facing dash cam.  On my long trips I'll turn the camera on when I see a cool scene and then off when I have enough.  I still wind up with huge file space and after the trip the problem with keeping the good and discarding the bad.  My current Hero 8 makes great videos and the frame grabs not too bad either.  Like others I'm surprised the technology has not advanced more rapidly.  As for battery life it is better than my gas tank and I have 4 batteries and will swap at gas stops.  Need a better mounting solution as it would be nice to be able to change to view from ahead to either side while moving.

The nice thing about the dedicated dash cams is that they are much less noticeable. The remote lenses make tucking them in out of the way much easier than a GoPro (or clone). 

Here is the front camera:

opi-sqJCwJUu2ZmJYMQWzeoZrBqcKVBB6yp5ckKI

And the rear just poking out under the top box:hBvp6sLju9pSykEXlGqagOhS0vI6_upyXFfsnTgC

• Thumbsup 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,   My build was linked earlier, just seeing this now!

Yeah I designed my own parts to mount the cameras for the Innovv K2,  it works very very well.   Its subtle, reliable, and I never need to pay attention to it.     If you wanted I could look at printing another set of mounts if you wanted, I have the material on hand, but would need to find the time to hammer it out. 

To give an idea of the quality that I get out of the K2 I made this video with most of the video coming from the K2 over 8 days:

I've done 3000miles with the camera on the bike and its never missed a beat.    I saw the K5 came out, but I am not keen on the new design nor the need for 4K (highly compressed 4K actually can look worse  - while still using way more space - than high bitrate 1080P).

I did a lot of shopping and comparing of systems before I went with the K2.   There are a bunch of others, but few if any check all the boxes the K2 did for me (Remote GPS antenna, smart power control/brick,  2 1080P waterproof cameras, solid app, and easy memory swapping).   The closest camera to it I found was the Thinkware M1.  

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 4

On 1/24/2021 at 3:57 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Member Clegg78 did, but some of the images aren't showing up now

20200201_203558089_iOS-scaled.jpg?w=640

So last fall I sold my trusty 2005 Triumph Sprint ST motorcycle and picked...

from this thread 

I have the Innovv K2 installed on a different bike and although expensive, you can rely on it. It has been rock solid for me, starts recording every time I start the bike with front and rear cameras.

No issues in the 6 months I have had it. Very nice software, which is a complaint with the cheaper MC dashcams.

Are some photos not showing up for people?

• Thumbsup 1

45 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

Are some photos not showing up for people?

No problem today.  Back on 1-24-2021 I was only seeing the first couple of images, which was strange because I had seen your full array of photos previously.

But today, they are all there and load very quickly for me. I also have the  Innovv K2 installed on a different bike and it is rock solid.

Similar to Knyte and Skyflix, I had several SJCAM but was never able to depend on them. The date reset every time the battery was pulled, and if used as dashcam the battery had to be in place for it to work, then the overcharge - swollen battery issue happened over and over if USB power was supplied to the camera (so that it would boot up and record like a dash cam when ignition turned on).

The Innov K2 avoids that grief by running off the vehicle main battery with a relay.  

I just use it in case someone pulls out in front of me (dash cam) and test that it is recording OK about once a week, it is dependable.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

I just looked and the K2 is "only" $338 which is not bad considering what it includes.  Think I would still like to have a GoPro for recording cool shots and wouldn't have to worry about getting all the traffic safety video - let the Innova handle that part.  

32 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

I just looked and the K2 is "only" $338 which is not bad considering what it includes.  Think I would still like to have a GoPro for recording cool shots and wouldn't have to worry about getting all the traffic safety video - let the Innova handle that part.  

Yeah I have a couple gopros (and some off brand ones) that I take on various trips.  The K2 is good for 100% all the time recording but in very static positions (I have thought about getting a 3rd camera that I can swap out on one of the channels if I wanted to have another location for a part of a ride, but havent done that)

• Thumbsup 1