Innovv K2 Dash Cameras

SC3896

Has anyone fitted the Innovv K2 dual camera system on a Tracer 900GT ?

If so, did you have any mounting/installation problems ?

What camera mounting points did you use ?

Thanks 

Edited by SC3896
Missed out info from a question

I have been looking at the same one. Know someone that has the older innovv dual camera setup installed on on FJ and they are happy with it. Install took a while but not difficult, the cameras are small and hard to see on the bike if your not looking for them, takes a little tweeking to get the camera positioned correctly. I am thinking about going full geek and using a pi zero to make an , auto upload the video to the home system  after the ride. built in wireless is apparently not great and the best way is to grab the video is from the sd card but that is a bit of a pain.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, riding_tall said:

using a pi zero

SWEET!  I've always had a crush on the 'car-puter' idea.  You're talking about making a bike-puter haha.  That's a great idea for video/content management.  Would be worth it in the long run.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

There's nothing wrong with the INNOVV cameras, but you might want to save some $$$ and look on Amazon for some alternatives.  Compare the specs and customer reviews.  You might save yourself a over a hundred dollars.

I bought the Halocam M1 a few years ago.  It's awesome.  It still sells for less than $180.

It's been a couple years since I bought mine, so I'm sure there are newer alternatives out there that are even better.

INNOVV is probably the best known dash camera system, but it is made in China...like all the others.  Great quality, but from what I have seen from my Halocam, the quality is the same.

image.thumb.png.b1a2203b995c78892b26a57aadae5d85.png

Chris

Edited by daboo
  • Thumbsup 3

What really blows my mind is that both the Innovv and Halocam systems are several years old now, yet they are still considered the best options available. I've seen footage from both of these systems. While I would consider them acceptable, they are far from the quality that you might expect to get from even the cheapest action cameras.

That's why I purchased two older SJCAM's that have built in DVR functionality. They automatically turn on and start recording with accessory power. I have one mounted just below the screen, and one mounted under the tail lights. Granted this setup is more difficult to get *just* right, and the cameras can be a little fiddly, but the video quality is much better in both day light and night time, and you don't have to find room for all of the extra hardware.

I was initially concerned about the cameras being stolen off of the bike but so far that has not been a problem. YMMV, of course.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SC3896 said:

Has anyone fitted the Innovv K2 dual camera system on a Tracer 900GT ?

Member Clegg78 did, but some of the images aren't showing up now

20200201_203558089_iOS-scaled.jpg?w=640

So last fall I sold my trusty 2005 Triumph Sprint ST motorcycle and picked...

from this thread 

I have the Innovv K2 installed on a different bike and although expensive, you can rely on it. It has been rock solid for me, starts recording every time I start the bike with front and rear cameras.

No issues in the 6 months I have had it. Very nice software, which is a complaint with the cheaper MC dashcams.

1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

I also have a Halocam M1. It has been going strong for almost 3 years now (moved it from my FJR to the Tracer last year). The video quality is fine for dashcam purposes, nothing amazing. The front camera is mounted under the front headlight area, and the rear of my rear rack. I have always been wary of the Inovv products after reading a lot of reviewers with long-term reliability issues. It seems they finally figured things out with the latest K2 units. They also just realeased the K5, but at almost $500, I don't see the value in it. I just want something to document an issue, just in case something happens. 

49 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

I have always been wary of the Inovv products... It seems they finally figured things out with the latest K2 units.

They had problems with K2 units as well, then fixed a firmware issue about a year ago and they have been OK.

The bad reviews seemed to stop after a while, and there was a Gold Wing forum noting lots of issues then it calmed down.
It almost put me off, but then I figured that maybe they evolved and learned and fixed it - and it seems that they did.

• Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

7 hours ago, SKYFLIX said:

What really blows my mind is that both the Innovv and Halocam systems are several years old now, yet they are still considered the best options available.

Indeed, as someone who's on-and-off thought of doing something for some years now, this market does seem to evolve a little more slowly than I'd expect. What I really want is a helmet cam (look where I look) with a battery that can just stand an all day ride and recharge overnight. January 15th was a 15h02m day (ride San Diego to Auburn CA, a little indirectly, 722.5 miles according to the Garmin watch), so I guess I need a 16 hour battery.

• Supporting Member

While it doesn't address the specific question by the OP, here's what I did regarding camera mounting points with the system I have and on a 2015 Tracer.

Hope it's of some help.

6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Something like this perhaps?

https://www.forcitehelmets.com/

Looks pretty cool. The integrated look for the camera especially, and it is well positioned to give the pilot's view.

However, the battery life is still only given as 3 hours with video. I always think along the lines of "couldn't they put a larger battery there?", but in reality having a huge battery in your head-protective-wear (aka helmet) to explode or ignite on impact isn't a great idea either.

Also, while the integrated look, fit and function is good, I prefer disintegrated. I'd rather not have to discard the electronics when the helmet dies or vice versa. The helmet may not even fit an individual's head very well (elongated head vs round, etc). Or one may prefer a different strap latch system, etc. Picking a helmet is a personal choice. What could be nice would be movement towards a standard specification for some helmet mounted systems, comm and video, so one can easily swap the electronics between helmets and still have a tight look and aerodynamics.

I just can't be satisfied!

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, wanderer said:

https://www.forcitehelmets.com/

but in reality having a huge battery in your head-protective-wear (aka helmet) to explode or ignite on impact isn't a great idea either.

The forcite helmet has ceramic batteries which won’t explode/ignite on impact. Regarding battery life, I wonder if one could recharge  with a rechargeable brick like device available for phones?

On 1/24/2021 at 1:21 PM, SKYFLIX said:

What really blows my mind is that both the Innovv and Halocam systems are several years old now, yet they are still considered the best options available. I've seen footage from both of these systems. While I would consider them acceptable, they are far from the quality that you might expect to get from even the cheapest action cameras.

That's why you have to decide what you want the camera for.  The INNOVV K2 and Halocam M1 (and others) are designed to be "dash cameras", not action cameras.  Riders might decide the quality is good enough for using as an "action" camera, and that's okay.

Eventually, the quality will improve on the dash cameras to fill the need for a dash camera.  I've used mine a few times for posting a video of some twisty roads.  The perspective of the camera being under the headlight, is nicer for capturing scenes like that, than a helmet mounted camera.

Chris

• Supporting Member
On 1/24/2021 at 2:21 PM, SKYFLIX said:

two older SJCAM's

I've got several SJCAMs and love them (for the price), been thinking about doing the same thing you did.  I gather you mounted them in the waterproof housing?  How did you wire a power lead through the case?

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount