Crap.

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

They are "knock offs"  Just ordered the real ones from Revzilla. It's only money.... 🤷‍♂️

I also have the Chinese knock-offs I bought in early 2017 but other than a little slop between the bolt and integral stop (I shim with some aluminum), it's worked as expected.  I think there are at least 2 or 3 outfits knocking off these things, maybe some better than others.  Mine does not have an open end on the adjuster hex but I'll have to check if it's cross-pinned (and ensure it stays put).  The bottom nuts that employs the ball detents does not stick out as far as some I've seen.

I think the high torque on the axle nut is to being the swing arm sides into contact with the wheel spacers.  I too do not use spec #', lowered it to 85 but clean threads every time with a bit of moly grease.  Maybe I'll try 80 or even 75...

20200720_140354.jpg

20200720_140429.jpg

20200720_150118.jpg

20170310_161827.jpg

20170310_161855.jpg

20170310_161905.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I also have the Chinese knock-offs........

Would you recommend these knock-offs considering the price savings? 

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I also have the Chinese knock-offs I bought in early 2017 but other than a little slop between the bolt and integral stop (I shim with some aluminum), it's worked as expected.  I think there are at least 2 or 3 outfits knocking off these things, maybe some better than others.  Mine does not have an open end on the adjuster hex but I'll have to check if it's cross-pinned (and ensure it stays put).  The bottom nuts that employs the ball detents does not stick out as far as some I've seen.

I think the high torque on the axle nut is to being the swing arm sides into contact with the wheel spacers.  I too do not use spec #', lowered it to 85 but clean threads every time with a bit of moly grease.  Maybe I'll try 80 or even 75...

20200720_140354.jpg

20200720_140429.jpg

20200720_150118.jpg

20170310_161827.jpg

20170310_161855.jpg

20170310_161905.jpg

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, NormR said:

Would you recommend these knock-offs considering the price savings? 

yes

lightech-yamaha-mt-09-13-16-mt09-tracer-

CNC Machined from billet Ergal 7075 and 6082 alloys anodised and with...

vs

s-l400.jpg

Material: 6061-T6 Billet Aluminium,CNC Machined. For YAMAHA...

USD 220.45 vs $ 51, fa sure

• Premium Member

Ok. For the record.

The chain adjusters are chinese knock offs. @betoney didn't care for them, had them sitting around. Didn't like the marking system(?) on them. He sent them to @new1709rider  who machined a better mark on them for me.  Who sent them to me.  All of this was free of charge. I paid shipping IIRC. Thank you again guys!!!!

These have been on the bike for ~10,000 miles. 4 or 5  chain adjustments. These were put on in the purchase of a new rear tire and a chain with a few miles on it. :)  With no problems.

I feel this is an oversight of the tech. I can't prove it. (It was missing within 100 miles of the service... but) My dumb ass adjusted the chain in hotel parking lots with no issues so...  Make you own conclusions .

I have no experience with the LightTech stuff. I will find out. And comment appropriately.  This may end up being. "You get what you pay for.  @new1709rider @betoney Please correct any inaccuracies. :)

On edit.

I was completely happy with them until this. Is this their fault? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, fddriver2 said:

Ok. For the record.

The chain adjusters are chinese knock offs. @betoney didn't care for them, had them sitting around. Didn't like the marking system(?) on them. He sent them to @new1709rider  who machined a better mark on them for me.  Who sent them to me.  All of this was free of charge. I paid shipping IIRC. Thank you again guys!!!!

I have no experience with the LightTech stuff. I will find out. And comment appropriately.  This may end up being. "You get what y  @new1709rider @betoney Please correct any inaccuracies. :)

On edit.

I was completely happy with them until this. Is this their fault? 🤷‍♂️

I already had a set of the ones that @piotrek showed, which work perfectly, unfortunately I cant find them available any more.

s-l400.jpg

I decided to buy a set of the Chinese adjusters just to try them out, (they were only about $40) the set I received didn't come with any reference marks, so adjustment was a vague guess. - I went back to the blocks pictured above. 

I found the swingarm marks to be inaccurate on my bike, (about 1/8" - 3-4mm difference side to side) .  I have since changed the method I use to set chain tension, I now use the Motion Pro alignment tool to get the chain close to alignment and then use a digital caliper to measure the back of the axle block to the end of the swingarm to get the alignment even side to side, I don't use the swingarm marks at all.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, betoney said:

I already had a set of the ones that @piotrek showed, which work perfectly, unfortunately I cant find them available any more.

s-l400.jpg

I have since changed the method I use to set chain tension, I now use the Motion Pro alignment tool to get the chain close to alignment and then use a digital caliper to measure the back of the axle block to the end of the swingarm to get the alignment even side to side, I don't use the swingarm marks at all.

"Motion Pro alignment tool" "then use a digital caliper to measure the back of the axle block to the end of the swingarm to get the alignment even side to side"

Something I'm not doing in a hotel parking lot on a week(s) long trip. YMMV

The reason I asked for the one I got off of you was  (Ease of use) Worked just fine,

Something to consider. The super expensive Light tech  system has a click system. (so they say) Once set. a click either side is 1 MM.

Stay tuned.

• Like 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, fddriver2 said:

Something to consider. The super expensive Light tech  system has a click system. (so they say) Once set. a click either side is 1 MM.

The "1 click = 1mm" sounds like a great feature.  👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, betoney said:

The "1 click = 1mm" sounds like a great feature.  👍

Right!! 😃

Hoping it's true. If it is... It's worth the bucks to me. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

My Chinese ones I pictured also micro-click which is controlled by a detent & ball that is held in place by a spring and threaded stud locked by a nut which is seen on the bottom of the units.

The light Tech ones if I recall correctly were half a millimetre per click, I'll double check that.  Checked, they don't say -

"CNC Machined from billet Ergal 7075 and 6082 alloys, anodised and with stainless steel fittings. Allows precise adjustment first time every time."

To adjust simply turn the small adjuster by hand, which has small detents that click when turned, and a metric scale is stamped into the alloy so you can achieve 100% accurate line up of left & right sides.

My Chinese units I think have less than one millimeter but it's easy to carry a cheap vernier calliper that doesn't even have a dial on it because all your doing is checking for go no-go,or close enough for the girls we go out with.  In the shop of course I use a digital vernier caliper 

The adjuster hex extension is nice CNC SS with a sold end, not through drilled like some I've seen. 

My FJ is filthy haven't touched it since 20-12-02.

I did test fit yesterday a new style peg with 1 inch of adjustment to supercede the ebay rubber clad replacement to the ridiculous OEM pegs (too short & slippery when wet).

And I just received a 3rd set of brake and clutch levers, bare in mind the 1st set of levers were OK but when I installed the R1 MC, the 2nd set was consequently required. Then I went to a R1 OEM level (so not a set), and now another set but not folding or length extending.  All lever clickreach Chinese. 

20210212_131123.jpg

20210211_133859.jpg

20210211_133847.jpg

20210212_132841.jpg

Edited by 2and3cylinders
Checked Light Techs, see above
  • Thumbsup 2

On 2/10/2021 at 7:22 PM, Toddtr said:

Some people shouldn’t work on things, l believe this is a great example of one of those people. I’ve never had an issue with mine and I’m sure most haven’t but to each their own. Probably the same bike has many stripped out bolts as well, being your own mechanic has rewards only if you have the ability. 

betoney's block clearly deformed when it was being loosened. it's entirely possible that he did nothing wrong. 

• Thumbsup 1

36 minutes ago, Junkie said:

betoney's block clearly deformed when it was being loosened. it's entirely possible that he did nothing wrong. 

If that was his first time removing then yes but that just means someone else messed up. The block as you say works for it’s designed purpose, it’s not perfect but what is? 

Where did I say that it worked for it's designed purpose? It's possible that the nut refused to loosen and things had to be cut off. 

Given that there are apparently many stories of the FZ07 part failing the very first time it comes off, and it uses the same axle nut, it sounds to me like there's a failure at the design or manufacture phase.

3 minutes ago, Junkie said:

Where did I say that it worked for it's designed purpose? It's possible that the nut refused to loosen and things had to be cut off. 

Given that there are apparently many stories of the FZ07 part failing the very first time it comes off, and it uses the same axle nut, it sounds to me like there's a failure at the design or manufacture phase.

You just did again, it works or EVERYONE would be replacing it. Pretty sure that’s not the case and it’s FJ09 Tracer not FZ07. Are you saying they have the exact same parts and if so you know this because you work for Yamaha? If that’s the case then why have you not informed them of this terrible design flaw? Or perhaps it looks the same so that means it is the same? Hamburger 

Just now, Toddtr said:

You just did again, it works or EVERYONE would be replacing it. Pretty sure that’s not the case and it’s FJ09 Tracer not FZ07. Are you saying they have the exact same parts and if so you know this because you work for Yamaha? If that’s the case then why have you not informed them of this terrible design flaw? Or perhaps it looks the same so that means it is the same? Hamburger 

I'm saying that the part number for the axle nut is the same for the FJ09 as the FZ07, 90185-18009-00. It's easy to look at a parts fiche and figure this out. If you order an axle nut for either, you get the exact same part. 

No matter what the part, there are always manufacturing tolerances and therefore any given part has a quality range. Different axle blocks end up at different hardnesses, different fits vs the axle, different axle nuts lock at different torque values. It's entirely possible for most combinations to be tolerable, but some to fail due to no fault of the owner or any mechanic who touches it. If that happens when all of the parts are in spec, that's a design failure. If it happens with all OEM parts and some aren't in spec, it's a manufacturing failure.

Do I know that that's the case here? No, unlike you, who knows that Yamaha is perfect and could never possibly make a mistake. I'm sure they've never had a single recall or warranty claim either, as they've never had a single design or manufacturing failure. 

3 minutes ago, Junkie said:

I'm saying that the part number for the axle nut is the same for the FJ09 as the FZ07, 90185-18009-00. It's easy to look at a parts fiche and figure this out. If you order an axle nut for either, you get the exact same part. 

No matter what the part, there are always manufacturing tolerances and therefore any given part has a quality range. Different axle blocks end up at different hardnesses, different fits vs the axle, different axle nuts lock at different torque values. It's entirely possible for most combinations to be tolerable, but some to fail due to no fault of the owner or any mechanic who touches it. If that happens when all of the parts are in spec, that's a design failure. If it happens with all OEM parts and some aren't in spec, it's a manufacturing failure.

Do I know that that's the case here? No, unlike you, who knows that Yamaha is perfect and could never possibly make a mistake. I'm sure they've never had a single recall or warranty claim either, as they've never had a single design or manufacturing failure. 

This guy gets it. 😁