Crap.

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, Toddtr said:

I would almost bet I have the lowest IQ on this forum and I’m definitely the biggest d bag on here. Now who can argue with that? Reverend!

No one. Just sayin....🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

There is obviously a big enough issue for this to occur on multiple models of bikes using the same blocks, so yeah there is obviously something to it. I dare say it's mostly due to the outrageous torque setting, I won't be going over 70 ft lbs myself. Douchebaggery to assume this is only occurring to unskilled owners who shouldn't be wrenching on their bikes, but hey it's the internet and everyone is tough as hell and brave on the internet.......just sayin.

• Thumbsup 6

Wow, you guys are exacting in your chain settings.  I get by using the motion pro tool with the sliding bar fully extended forward for maximum accuracy.  Sighting down the length of the bar is pretty telling if the wheel isn’t perfectly aligned.

My supposition is the chain running over the sprockets has several mm of side-to-side free play and will track out of absolute center much of the time.

It is obviously good to get it as centered as possible, but not sure digital caliper accuracy is necessary.  Then again, I don’t own a digital caliper! :)

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 3
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

2 hours ago, nhchris said:

Wow, you guys are exacting in your chain settings.  I get by using the motion pro tool with the sliding bar fully extended forward for maximum accuracy.  Sighting down the length of the bar is pretty telling if the wheel isn’t perfectly aligned.

My supposition is the chain running over the sprockets has several mm of side-to-side free play and will track out of absolute center much of the time.

It is obviously good to get it as centered as possible, but not sure digital caliper accuracy is necessary.  Then again, I don’t own a digital caliper! :)

I think you are correct in that eye-balling with the motion pro tool is good enough. 

However if you do have a caliper. The measurement is very easy and about takes the same amount of time as attaching the motion pro tool to the sprocket (probably even less time actually).

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

3 hours ago, Ride365 said:

There is obviously a big enough issue for this to occur on multiple models of bikes using the same blocks, so yeah there is obviously something to it. I dare say it's mostly due to the outrageous torque setting, I won't be going over 70 ft lbs myself. Douchebaggery to assume this is only occurring to unskilled owners who shouldn't be wrenching on their bikes, but hey it's the internet and everyone is tough as hell and brave on the internet.......just sayin.

You make the point better than I ever could. Assuming owners are skilled mechanics is a bigger mistake than assuming they aren’t, most don’t know which way is tight and which is loose. 

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, nhchris said:

It is obviously good to get it as centered as possible, but not sure digital caliper accuracy is necessary.

47 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

I think you are correct in that eye-balling with the motion pro tool is good enough. 

However if you do have a caliper. The measurement is very easy and about takes the same amount of time as attaching the motion pro tool to the sprocket (probably even less time actually).

@nhchris - True that the caliper measurement probably isn't necessary (the MP alignment tool gets it pretty close) but I only adjust my chain a few times a year and as  @duhs10 mentioned, if you are adjusting the chain anyway, the extra step for final adjustment just takes a moment.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

This got me thinking @betoney...

Did you every caliper each axle block to insure they are exactly the same dimension?

Hey, a mm here a mm there. It adds up! 

• Haha 1
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, nhchris said:

This got me thinking @betoney...

Did you every caliper each axle block to insure they are exactly the same dimension?

Hey, a mm here a mm there. It adds up! 

Yes, they measure equal.  Funny thing, I go the extra step when making sure the wheel is square in the swingarm but am much more carefree with measuring chain slack.  I measure it when the chain is new and occasionally tighten it but for the most part I leave it alone.  When it is up on the center stand in the garage, I will occasionally give it a lift up from the bottom to check tension but as long as its not significantly loose, I'm not worried about an exact numerical value measurement. 

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

22 hours ago, Toddtr said:

You make the point better than I ever could. Assuming owners are skilled mechanics is a bigger mistake than assuming they aren’t, most don’t know which way is tight and which is loose. 

Damn you must be a real joy to hang around LOL, truth is you are also making assumptions. ;) I see that most here now are ignoring you, I mean we are supposed to be here helping/learning from each other instead of being snarky and cynical all the time. 👌

• Thumbsup 5

51 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Damn you must be a real joy to hang around LOL, truth is you are also making assumptions. ;) I see that most here now are ignoring you, I mean we are supposed to be here helping/learning from each other instead of being snarky and cynical all the time. 👌

Yet you keep replying so it must mean that you like me a lot. Although I’m very flattered I’m not that kind of guy, sorry if that hurts your feelings. Possibly a google search can help you out in your future endeavors, good luck and I hope you find what you’re looking for. 

22 hours ago, betoney said:

Yes, they measure equal.  Funny thing, I go the extra step when making sure the wheel is square in the swingarm but am much more carefree with measuring chain slack.

Got it @betoney.

I must admit that I see chain and sprockets as consumables and, like oil, nice to replace on a regular basis... maybe every two years.  They are really cheap money compared to lots of other items and easy to work on.

I used to feel that way about spark plugs also,  before bought the FJ!

• Thumbsup 1
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09