Tracer GT Fuel Range and RotopaX Options

Purchased my 2019 Tracer GT just a short time ago and getting accessories lined up for Ontario based touring this coming season.

One trip in particular is in the north and gas stations are few and far between.  God forbid that the one you are counting on is closed when you get there with a virtually dry tank.

Wondering what people are experiencing in real world riding re Tracer fuel range? Talking about a routine back road pace, not racing around.

Thinking about fitting a RotopaX container, something in the 1 - 2 gallon range.

https://rotopax.com/rotopax/rotopax/

I have the stock side cases and a GIVI 52L Maxia top case, so wondering if anyone has mounted a RotopaX to their Tracer, where did you place it and what mount did you use?  I was thinking that a RotopaX mounting bracket could be attached or adapted somehow to the left side passenger peg assembly, but who knows.

https://rotopax.com/rotopax/mounting-hardware/

Any info provided would be appreciated

Edited by ReSTored

This is what I've used when I traveled to places where I wasn't sure about the availability for gas.

ZETh53WdaL9Z2mM0qMVSWoOyNP6eQrzWpNAryXgURveqCHW8T5JBQaamu2UPwS9_HMrPRnpUx1U6QZZi7k_YxFvaZyGeu_LgQdAVeTWnJ5Q30-BZ2RTBZmI8VNooXhdnZ_Vh-GXUkmQmbr6n_Js9PKG75-MqO9l9y3GYQgrNjf14gzgKxTTxEcbS_4yyIBqitJXmIr2_aFfyVAeezJMxOjoGrk40OIBd2AELt0CmMelA_Vpgn2XJETZFUXzemh24-zIzdzHVDtIXv4SrLix4DZ-w0iYkWPfkFBa-jma3liuGoG4eOqyAeewLAu1C_614vVY0GHENmsBxpS80APYKcW4PISUIDGS9OdaDf24r4qOfc1fmNte9R9PAdmsK0OFZA4zflLjvHM-t2oPMg9JJY2hbQyPEOiMkhoo8LKm0eKDMZF_-LlL9MHsitDPjhtftiWaaKwCKkFc39bPB4aJdo1HFtMejg4Nuoa9ItUVYEV7TiBc-gUEpAuEUQwsdfQzx-2mIO654J9qHk0_MDGg1Af4JjVqtFUQgIRrZQhDhISRRvCPTEnXQtj4bVjczdN2fFNW2eNUJKdp5GOvQVJaKpbjV6v8JkdADoOYYQ-hTDYGPiO9U7ecrRDF0kQCvjGLfBotUx-viu_r9o7ii1EzGHVi0H8EZ_JBQYGfJUal8immDfHyJ_tGmd6VRn365xTQ=w529-h939-no?authuser=0

The brackets are made to carry fuel bottles.  They have other brackets that'll hold about a half gallon of fuel in a black container.  A nice part about this type of option, is any fuel that might escape, will be outside your panniers.

You don't mention where you're going to.  In the western USA, fuel isn't much of a problem if you plan for it.  Like when going over Lolo Pass, there's no fuel for over 100 miles.  So I fill up before starting out, just to make sure I have enough to get all the way through it.

Chris

• Thumbsup 2

So here is a source for the brackets.

The brackets are not Touratech, so you can find them elsewhere by searching for Zega Pro.

This is the bracket that stays on the pannier permanently.  

This quick-release base plate is the foundation of the modular...

The foundation of the modular accessory system for Zega Pro panniers, the quick-release base plate.

The bracket above allows you to press that button in the middle and top of the bracket to release the other brackets.  It's a pretty slick system they have.

Here's the 2-liter fuel can and bracket. 

01-050-3412-0_i_01.jpg

Here's the two individual liter fuel bottle bracket.  

Suitable for two water bottles for example 070-0530. Can be...

01-050-0911-0-i-01.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

I have the FJ... but I think the same should apply here. I had a chance to test the range from full to dry on my trip to James Bay. I had a gallon of fuel in the Rotopax with me to take me the next gas station. I ran out at 378km (370km by GPS). Reserve was good for 63km. That was at ~100kph on cruise in 6th gear, in 6C weather... just in case you want the data. 🤓

I have been looking to get a proper Rotopax hardware fitted on the bike... but on that trip I just threw it on top of the tail bag and tied it off with a rubber cord.

rotopax.PNG.2bdb65d8459a49be37936b6b8fe6fc0e.PNG

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

Many variables, of course. The FJ/Tracer seems to be more sensitive than most to wind conditions. So if you mount a larger windshield and/or routinely ride at speed above 100kph you should expect to see poor fuel economy. I have a 26" Madstad barndoor windshield on my FJ-09 and I seem to average around 39-41mpg US, which I think is below average. So for me that would mean a max range of 192 miles / 311km, but realistically stopping for fuel around 150 miles / 240km. Fine for most people, I suppose, but if you plan to ride in areas with sketchy fuel availability it's not optimal. 

My solution was to go Full Retard and mount a 3.25 gallon aux fuel system plumbed directly into the main tank:

2021_0207_10110200.thumb.jpg.87a263146055ac09d46563470386dffd.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

5 hours ago, daboo said:

You don't mention where you're going to.

Planning to be north of Lake Superior on Highway 11, west of #631.  Don't appear to be many options, in particular if a station you're counting on is closed.

I have the OEM Tracer GT cases, so the brackets and system won't work for me.  Nice system though.

• Supporting Member

As much as I love the simplicity of Rotopax, they are bloody spendy, or can be.

My g/f's bike came with modified rear footpegs...small sheet metal trays that will hold a 2 gal jerry can.  Cheap!

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, ReSTored said:

Don't appear to be many options, in particular if a station you're counting on is closed.

On trips like that I make it a point to call and confirm a) that the place still exists, and b) business hours.

Northern Ontario and possibly Quebec will be my playground this year.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

5 hours ago, keithu said:

My solution was to go Full Retard and mount a 3.25 gallon aux fuel system plumbed directly into the main tank:

2021_0207_10110200.thumb.jpg.87a263146055ac09d46563470386dffd.jpg

Oh yes.  The moment I saw this thread, I thought of your beast, and every post I scrolled by, I was waiting for it 😃

This is utter madlad stuff right here!  So awesome.

• Thumbsup 4

I've ridden a fair amount in the western states and have never run out but have come close a couple of times.  Once it was a lonely gas pump at a crossroads in Wyoming!  If not for that I would have run out.  My 2020 Tracer GT seems to do OK on gas mileage and will get 41mpg at 79MPH, better if I slow down.  Range has been between 150 miles and over 200 when going slower.  I have a 1.5 liter fuel canister but have never used it.  Took it with me one time and left it behind last time.  My biggest concern is what if I go down?  Will the fuel container leak or catch fire?  Where Daboo has his bottles mounted seems to be a safe place.  my current thought is to buy a RotoPax and put it on the rear seat under my duffle bag.  in that location would be protected if I went down but not too difficult to access.  I have a top case that I intend to keep empty just for helmet storage but could put a fuel container in there.  I've thought about a fuel cell but worry about the angular lines and what will happen if I crash and bang into it. I may be overthinking this :-)

• Thumbsup 1

Hey guys,  just curious:

Are these aux fuel solutions "crash worthy?

Being surrounded by a few liters of 93 octane during a low side or other motorcycle misadventure might be a problem if a container was breached or leaked.

Or am I just a nervous Nellie ?

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

2 hours ago, nhchris said:

Hey guys,  just curious:

Are these aux fuel solutions "crash worthy?

Being surrounded by a few liters of 93 octane during a low side or other motorcycle misadventure might be a problem if a container was breached or leaked.

Or am I just a nervous Nellie ?

Nervous nellie.  

As @Peteinpa said, you're already straddling 4 gallons.  It's not like you're filling a 2l pop bottle up with gas, either, you're filling a fuel tank (rotopax) or steel fuel bottles.  They're sturdy, every bit as much as the gas tank is.  And gas is surprisingly hard to ignite.  A leaking container is just one that's going to make stuff smell bad.  But even then, any crash that actually damages a steel fuel bottle or Rotopax is going to be pretty severe and the damage will be obvious.