Tracer GT Sidestand

I agree and I havent even picked up my ride from dealer. I have seen extension plates that can be mounted to end of the stand on websites.  Will make decision after pick up in the next week of two.

• Supporting Member

I'm not sure the FJ stand and the Tracer GT stands are the same, but...

Two different issues come to mind:

The leg of the stand is too short

or

The foot of the stand is too small.

Before buying my FJ I researched every gripe and complaint.  One of them was the length of the stand, and one fellow welded a bit of an extension to make the leg longer.  My g/f's BMW 650 GS had this mod applied before she bought it, so it seems to be somewhat common mod.  OK, I thought, no big deal, I can adjust that if need be.

The first few rides saw that to be true - it did feel a bit short.  However, after about 5 rides - didn't notice any longer.  I can hook it fine with my heel now without looking, and have climbed on at various odd canted angles with no trouble at all.  I've pivoted the bike on just the stand - no weight on the wheels at all - to get out of tight situations and it's held up fine.  On very hot days, the foot does occasionally sink in to the hot asphalt, but neither issue has been bad enough to necessitate modifying anything.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

40 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

Those foot extensions help marginally, and have gotten ridiculously $$$$$. 

The one I got from Ali made out of the finest Chinesium works great. Did have to relief the top plate a little for clearance. And yeah, worst side stand ever. 

• Thumbsup 1

Only minor issue I have with the sidestand is that my heel can occasionally get pushed off by the footrest when I am pushing the sidestand down. usually need to look down to make sure my foot is positioned correctly, never had this on other bikes. I added a cheap chinese sidestand foot for any stops on softer ground works as well as the more expensive ones I have seen. only time I felt the sidestand too short was because of the way the road sloped towards the verge at the side of the road, but I could have just moved the bike forward a wee bit.

FILE0584.JPG

Mine is no worse than any other bike I've owned, but yeah I added a nice sidestand foot which made a world of difference for contact patch, and even raised the bike straight up a bit more.

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member
47 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Mine is no worse than any other bike I've owned, but yeah I added a nice sidestand foot which made a world of difference for contact patch, and even raised the bike straight up a bit more.

+1 on a good sidestand footpad.  Well worth the investment.

• Thumbsup 2
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

1 hour ago, HGP61 said:

Only minor issue I have with the sidestand is that my heel can occasionally get pushed off by the footrest when I am pushing the sidestand down. usually need to look down to make sure my foot is positioned correctly, never had this on other bikes. I added a cheap chinese sidestand foot for any stops on softer ground works as well as the more expensive ones I have seen. only time I felt the sidestand too short was because of the way the road sloped towards the verge at the side of the road, but I could have just moved the bike forward a wee bit.

FILE0584.JPG

Who is that person in the background, and why is he dancing a jig in the middle of the road?  😉

• Haha 3

I have the same issue. I ordered a cheap Chinese made foot stand enlarger (adds about 3~5 cm height and 1.3 times of the original foot stand size) but the manufacture was poorly made and couldn't fit at all.

I'm considering something more expensive but not so expensive, any suggestion?

PS: GIVI's foot stand enlarger looks decent, but its like freaking $40~$50 USD without shipment fee...

7 hours ago, TomTracer said:

For me, the stand seems too short and angled wrong on my level garage floor

When I park up in my shed I do put the side stand down on a 3/4 inch thick block of wood but that's more to keep it away from the side wall of the shed rather than stability.

6 hours ago, 2WHLOZK said:

Who is that person in the background, and why is he dancing a jig in the middle of the road

That's my pal Allan, We were on a bike tour for a week so if he's dancing a highland fling it must be because he is happy. Taking his life in his hands though that was a busy road on Mull, during tha 20 minutes we had stopped there a car passed us.  Other friend Wullie was at the other side of the bikes taking in the view we had stoped to see. Nice foreground for a picture.

FILE0582.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, Gakaza said:

I have the same issue. I ordered a cheap Chinese made foot stand enlarger (adds about 3~5 cm height and 1.3 times of the original foot stand size) but the manufacture was poorly made and couldn't fit at all.

I'm considering something more expensive but not so expensive, any suggestion?

PS: GIVI's foot stand enlarger looks decent, but its like freaking $40~$50 USD without shipment fee...

I ordered this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZPYGXB5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

Fit perfectly and was about 1cm thick .

• Thumbsup 1