RaceTech springs

Basket

I have ordered.90kg  Race tech forksprings for my 2020 Gt as I found the stock springs too soft for my 180+ lbs.  So my question is regarding whether or not the new springs will affect the air gap measurement.  Also what wt and brand of fork fluid are people recommending? Race Tech says air gap should be 130mm but that seems to be quite low to me.   Any insight or advice is much appreciated!

• Supporting Member

130mm is what has been recommended to me as well. 
Oil viscosity can be altered to alter suspension action.  I just had my forks serviced and the suspension shop used Motul 5w @ 130mm height. 

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Nope I will not be going Ractech again, it's bullshit they simply sell universal springs and you must cut down or add spacers. I am hoping the FJ-09 springs will work in my GT when the time comes, I will be calling them since the Tracer models aren't listed. :(

8 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Nope I will not be going Ractech again, it's bullshit they simply sell universal springs and you must cut down or add spacers. I am hoping the FJ-09 springs will work in my GT when the time comes, I will be calling them since the Tracer models aren't listed. :(

Not bullshit, It’s the only way they can sell springs for a reasonable price. (I used to own a spring company) 

If Stoltec Moto is still in business get in touch with them. I worked with Nick to develop springs for the FZ-09 when it came out. I think they also worked on the early FJs, might work on the Tracers as a drop in.

120-130mm for oil level is generally good.

130 mm is not low but higher than the 175 mm stock setting . You measure down to the oil with out the springs in the fork.  The oil level  affects the air shock above the oil. The more oil the less air to compress and harder to bottom out under hard braking. For myself I found that 150mm works for the way I ride.

12 hours ago, RD52 said:

Not bullshit, It’s the only way they can sell springs for a reasonable price. (I used to own a spring company) 

If Stoltec Moto is still in business get in touch with them. I worked with Nick to develop springs for the FZ-09 when it came out. I think they also worked on the early FJs, might work on the Tracers as a drop in.

120-130mm for oil level is generally good.

Understand to a point, however Sonic Springs makes bike specific drop in which IMHO is what most are looking for. Sonic and Racetech are about the same price, so how are they selling springs which are universal for a so called reasonable price?

5 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Understand to a point, however Sonic Springs makes bike specific drop in which IMHO is what most are looking for. Sonic and Racetech are about the same price, so how are they selling springs which are universal for a so called reasonable price?

Nick came to me back in 2014 and wanted a drop in design for the new FZs. Unfortunately, the stock length was different than what most USD forks use. I was very reluctant, and normally would have refused. But I thought the FZ was going to be a big seller, and Nick committed to buying a good quantity. So I took a chance. Luckily it all worked out and I didn't get stuck with a bunch of oddly shaped scrap steel. :)

Basically, a case of the stars lining up just right. Not something that's workable in most cases.

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I have received my race tech springs now and unlike peteinpa the springs I have are 270mm in length. I haven't removed the forks from the bike yet, can anyone tell me the length of the stock tracer gt springs? I would like to know if I need longer spacers, and not have to cut down like others have had to do?