My Tracer Turn Signal Mods

4 hours ago, Warchild said:

I am about to go down this exact path while the bike is down for painting,,. starting today, April 2, 2021  👍

I went with the Rizoma Vision Sequential Turn Signals.. these babies are pure Road Sex!   🔥   🔥   🔥   🔥   🔥  

Painting?  How ya painting it?

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Painting?  How ya painting it?

Whelp, similar to the S1000XR I bought last year.... it took a couple weeks of ownership to really determine that this metallic-orangy paint just isn't for Warchild, it just isn't.  😣

I mean, I tried to like it... in bright sunshine, I admit the metal-flake looks pretty cool, but in the end.... no, not for me.

So, the four orange panels, along with the windscreen, are off the bike and in the hands of my painter, same gent who took care of the beemer.

OffToPainters.thumb.jpg.cbf21f263d335f4da082c27d17f75305.jpg

Since I love the Candy Jet Black he did on the XR, the four Tracer panels will get the same treatment. Three coats of Candy Jet Black, and three coats of Clear on top of that. Each coat hand-sanded before the next coat - a very tedious process. But that is what gives the paint that deep "depth" when you look at it in bright sunlight, or bright cloudy days. 

Example of this paint:

CarbonBlackTE.thumb.jpg.605625f166acf842fc8d21119a5dbb23.jpg

RtSide_closeup.thumb.jpg.8b0939b5348deee1cbe5ccbb00ad2910.jpg

mirrorFinish.thumb.jpg.c877033698b7b32a498dce028f3b8ace.jpg

Even the windscreen gets painted - but only the inside. The outside of the screen is still the original clear acrylic:

darkNose.thumb.jpg.63a56214333df4106b7203c77725f672.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Mattf said:

One more thing-If you're considering a Tail Tidy you might as well do it while replacing the rear signals. Doh!

Yep, I agree. I replaced my tail light with the BlasterX, which has the integrated turn signals for the rear of the bike. I still haven't replaced my front bulbs though - maybe this year......

22 hours ago, Warchild said:

This was the XR before painting... so you can see why it needed changing.  🙄  😃 

1237732422_DSC00118(2).thumb.JPG.98b7fdf0d683d82b518a593f0198bca7.JPG

I feel that!

20191019_132932.thumb.jpg.23f9c98faca5e67b43fc4fe52ebb8da7.jpg

I'm not a fan of grey (not to mention grey with red highlights and random white panels because Yamaha); but it was a killer deal when I bought it.  Been thinking of just straight up painting it forever.  Thus far I've just wrapped the white panels and have some black ones on the way after She Who Shall Not Be Named broke the white ones, but... The grey needs to go.

38 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I feel that!

Even the pannier outer shells are grey? Oy...   

Yes, I can understand  how a repaint would be attractive here.  😁

On 4/2/2021 at 8:12 AM, Mattf said:

One more thing-If you're considering a Tail Tidy you might as well do it while replacing the rear signals. Doh!

Yeah if you ride your bike with the bags off all the time a tail tidy is nice. I ride with my bags on almost all the time. I have a rain suit, Rev-it H2O Gloves and a tool roll. Plus I can put groceries or other things I decide to pick up when I'm out and the thought hits me. Only thing is with the tail Tidy. You can't see the blinkers or brake light from the side. The bags block it. As usual YMMV.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

On 4/2/2021 at 12:36 PM, Warchild said:

I am about to go down this exact path while the bike is down for painting,,. starting today, April 2, 2021  👍

I went with the Rizoma Vision Sequential Turn Signals.. these babies are pure Road Sex!   🔥   🔥   🔥   🔥   🔥  

rizoma_vision_sequential_turn_signal_1800x1800.thumb.jpg.6e667a5c8c129d3c68c27ab48ffbf826.jpg

would love to see these on your bike when you get done.  Those are indeed great looking signals!

On 4/2/2021 at 5:40 AM, Mattf said:

I didn't like the look of the stock Tracer turn signal so after much research I decided to go with 12 O"Clock Labs turn signals and replacement flasher. Made in the US. Replacement lenses available! They are very bright. I ordered the optional Yamaha connectors so no cutting and soldering. The flasher is plug & play. Front running lights still work and there is an optional connection for rear running lights. I connected them to my Aux fuse block. Easy instal. Front panels come off easy. You need to remove the press fittings to separate the panel to get at the turn signal. I used a small screwdriver for that. When reassmbling I use a 8mm socket to press them back on. It's easier to remove the rear turn signal mount completely to replace the turn signals. Theres 3 connectors- left & right signals plus the license plate light. Then 4 nuts to remove under the seat. Don't lose the small spacers! On all the turn signals I used a little blue loctite on the threads.

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

Where is this aux fuse block you speak of?

10 hours ago, Mattf said:

I installed a 3 post fused block from Eastern Beaver. Been using their products for years. Comes out of Japan.

Thanks. Also, did you have any trouble mounting the front turn signals? Any tips for holding them in place since the mount is different than the factory ones?

• Supporting Member

I also installed the 12OClockLabs turn signals front and rear with running lights. You can order them plug and play if you select your model under Yamaha on the 12OClockLabs site. They have plastic mounting plates for the front or metal ones for the rear that fit the open space.

I took some of their rear metal plates and reduced them to fit in the front holes, to reduce the chance of cracking later. I filed them to size and spray painted to finish.  If you don't add a flasher relay the lights will work fine as they have resistors,  but the green turn indicator on the dash will flash quicker than usual. A flasher relay will fix the green indicators and it takes 10 seconds to install.

12OClockLabs have excellent customer service and you could speak to them over the phone before ordering and they will put your right.

BP 2.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/3/2021 at 5:35 PM, Wintersdark said:

I feel that!

I'm not a fan of grey (not to mention grey with red highlights and random white panels because Yamaha); but it was a killer deal when I bought it.  Been thinking of just straight up painting it forever.  Thus far I've just wrapped the white panels and have some black ones on the way after She Who Shall Not Be Named broke the white ones, but... The grey needs to go.

I will swap you some matte black pieces for the grey if you are interested.

5 hours ago, MustardTiger said:

I will swap you some matte black pieces for the grey if you are interested.

I ended up wrapping the white pieces in matte black, and just kept the grey otherwise.  I wouldn't really want to swap some pieces, though I'd swap EVERYTHING grey for black - but it'd cost more to mail them than to just paint everything.