CP3 Engine astounds!

On 4/12/2021 at 9:38 AM, CJ3cyl said:

It'll get to 100 MPH damn quick, too. It's fast enough for me, and I came off a Gen II FZ1.

No doubt lol. About a week after I got my 2019 tracer 900 GT I got stuck behind an old lady on the turnpike going 40 MPH (all other traffic was going about 80. Scary to say the least as all the cars would keep at 80 until they were about 5 feet from my rear tire and switch lanes in ways that prevented me from being able to switch safely. I was new to the bike and dropped it into 3rd (I'd drop it to first now that I know better). I finally got a small break and pulled in behind a car that just passed me and I'm just pacing him. Thinking man this bike is so quick and smooth. I look down and I'm going 110 lol. 'oops'

• Supporting Member
On 4/12/2021 at 5:33 PM, mikerbiker said:

And love it more because I use 90%+ of the rev range on a regular basis. 

I think you’re spot on here:  I’ve owned much faster motorcycles before, but somehow the CP3 feels like the perfect sporting streetbike motor.  Ample (not excessive) power everywhere in the rev range, and it’s actually accessible on almost every ride.  It’s a gem, and I personally like the slightly rough edge it has... enough noise and vibration to give it a ton of character, but not be intrusive.   

Even after five years, it still puts a big smile on my face.  

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

People look at me funny when talking about the tracer and I get a big grin when I say” but that motor”.  It just works everywhere in the RPM range.

It hard to describe the type of road this was, but it was a twisty country road with little up and over type of sections. I was in gas saving mode, set CC at 35 and 5th gear. It never lugged once. Just did its thing.

Versatility is what makes it a true joy. Ive done the 25 in 3rd gear roll ons to close to 100 with ease.

After my ride with Kevin in the Sierras, I realized I wasnt properly using the gears. In the right gear at the right time makes this motor even more enjoyable and makes the bike easier to ride.

Enjoy

Another sweet aspect of the motor is how it wants to lift the front wheel pulling out of a corner in second or third gear.

I have a fave corner where I rail around in second gear and after the apex whack the gas as I stand the bike up. The front wheel lifts about six inches of the pavement and off we go to 9;000 rpm.

More fun than a 73 year old should be having!!

• Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Well guys I put her in STD mode for the first time today.   Response was totally manageable. I only had 100 kms on the bike and put on about 60 today.  Still cool here so wearing two layers under Oxford jacket and winter gloves lol.  Epic ride , sunny and dry.  Saw quite a few others out despite Covid warnings - usually groups of 3 or 4 riders- all on Hawgs.  The engine again is incredible!  I might have gone for the Tracer 700 if it was available here but it isnt. The MT07 lacked the wind protection and I read that the suspension is budget. Im glad I went for the Tracer 900 but   adapting to this motor has been a learning experience. The pull off idle is smooth and strong.  The intake moan is fabulous! Ive been altering RPMs during my break-in but have still wacked her wide open and the sound is exhilarating. Dont laugh but after my small Honda this bike makes you feel like Thor and his hammer! 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I put it in B mode for the first time today. It's a great mode for the rain. Yes, it still gets up and scoots, though you have to twist the throttle more. I like A mode the best. 😈