throttle body synch?

I know this has been discussed before but  Im new here...  Have most of you that have bought new tracers had the dealer synch the throttle bodies at the first oil change (which Id rather do myself) or is it not necessary?. One older thread I read said this is only in US/Canada and not Europe.

For what it's worth, I am picking up my bike Saturday (new 2020 leftover) and I have no plans to have the TB's synched at the 600 mile first service.  I change oil/filter adjust the chain and give it a good going over and continue on..  Just not something I ever really worried about unless the bike was running like crap. Owned a 2016 FZ-09 and never did it then either.  Just my 2 cents though......

• Thumbsup 1

You have a good point here.  The tool that you use to sync the throttle bodies literally only tells you that the engine is running lumpy with the added benefit of showing which cylinder is off.  Your butt can probably detect a problem by riding it.  So if you are sensitive to engine noises, you can probably hear and feel when it is time to check them.  Particularly with a 3 cylinder.

1 hour ago, Garz747 said:

I know this has been discussed before but  Im new here...  Have most of you that have bought new tracers had the dealer synch the throttle bodies at the first oil change (which Id rather do myself) or is it not necessary?. One older thread I read said this is only in US/Canada and not Europe.

Yes do it if you have the tools

Edited by quaxum

• Premium Member

The main thing you'll notice if the TBs are out of sync is more vibration, especially in the handlebars. Since you just got the bike you probably don't have a good frame of reference for what's smooth and what isn't, but this is a good clue in the future. 

I think the factory schedule calls for a TB sync at the first service in the US and Canada, but it's generally not necessary at that point. I'm sure they put it in there as a revenue opportunity for their dealer network. Notice that it's not called for in Europe, even though it's exactly the same bike. 

A good tool to do it can be had for £71 in the Carbtune Pro, or cheaper with basic vacuum guages - all the matters is that each cylinder pulls the same amount of vacuum; but the overall amount of vacuum doesn't matter so you don't care really about units ranges.  I wouldn't really recommend the DIY tool route, just get proper manometers - the DIY route doesn't really save you any money and is bigger and more janky.  Using the right tools is way easier. 

It's a fair bit of work to get the fairings off - I've got a tutorial posted here: 

Once you know how to remove and replace the fairings, however, it's really not a big deal.  The actual procedure is dead simple and very easy.  The first sync doesn't hurt, but I've never heard of the sync being out to any noticable degree at the first service.  

My recommendation is to not bother with it on the first service (unless you're having the bike serviced, at which point... eh, whatever, it doesn't cost much) unless you feel the bike is running rough/vibrating a lot.  It's hard to tell if it needs to be done until you get to know what the bike should feel like - after that, it's pretty obvious when it's out.

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, Jfundo said:

You have a good point here.  The tool that you use to sync the throttle bodies literally only tells you that the engine is running lumpy with the added benefit of showing which cylinder is off.  Your butt can probably detect a problem by riding it.  So if you are sensitive to engine noises, you can probably hear and feel when it is time to check them.  Particularly with a 3 cylinder.

What does “lumpy” mean? Rich?

I don't know if they were copping out but probably not because like someone mentioned, it's a revenue opportunity, however my dealer said they hooked up their little data cable and it didn't need a sync.  I'd rather do it myself anyway when the time comes, but I was willing to let them while it was so new.  I still don't really know if they're able to tell sync or not sync with their little plug in.

1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

I don't know if they were copping out but probably not because like someone mentioned, it's a revenue opportunity, however my dealer said they hooked up their little data cable and it didn't need a sync.  I'd rather do it myself anyway when the time comes, but I was willing to let them while it was so new.  I still don't really know if they're able to tell sync or not sync with their little plug in.

No, they can't. I believe they were referring to hooking up the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool and checking for codes and inspecting FI component values. It sounds like they were saying that it was "their opinion" that "it didn't need a sync".

-Skip

2 hours ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

What does “lumpy” mean? Rich?

You cannot measure rich/lean conditions with any sync tool out there that I'm aware of... what you're measuring is differences in engine vacuum and pressure as the intake valve opens and shuts. The VacuumMate DOES give a digital readout of what the valve sealing is looking like, and when interpreted by someone with skill it can indicate tight/loose valve clearances or other issues with the valve train (once the sync itself has been verified).

TB sync is adjustable on our bikes by changing the amount of air that flows around the throttle plates via an air (or sync) screw for each cylinder. The plates are set by the factory and are not adjustable.

"Lumpy" may need to be clarified by the JFundo, but he is probably referring to an "un-even sound from the engine" at idle or very small throttle openings. As you mentioned, "Lumpy" can also be caused by fueling problems but they would be unrelated to sync.(change of exhaust with fueling change, O2 sensor Closed-loop operation, etc).

HTH,

Skip

On 4/15/2021 at 9:55 PM, Waldo Jeffers said:

Wow, far out man! I think I’ll take it to the shop 

You can perform it yourself, just need the right tools and equipment. It’s not a difficult procedure but would require an investment. 

-s

• Thumbsup 1