Engine break-in: first oil change

cy685

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 7:46 AM, Warchild said:

"Finally cleared up..."  🤔  Very unusual.

In fact... I have never heard anything like this before on any modern engine, regardless of brand.

That's unfortunate.  

Same ,,got home from dealer didn't look great so changed it,,changed again at 1000k ,,3rd change it looked good 

turned over 600 miles today, oil change kit arriving on Wednesday but I'm still heading out to ride tonight and tomorrow too, oil looks good in the little window..

On 4/25/2021 at 7:23 PM, cy685 said:

I recently picked up my new 2020 Tracer GT and now have about 90 miles on it.  Per the dealer and the owner's manual my first oil change should be at 600 miles.  I've heard that some owners change the oil initially at 100 miles instead of waiting until 600 miles.  Is it common for owners to change it at 100 miles?  

IMO, waste of time if you are not completely anal!

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, Bill H said:

HUH ?? 1000,is a thousand 🧐Einstein

You wrote "1000k" in your reply to the thread which implies 1000 x 1000... usually 1,000 would be represented as 1k. 10,000 = 10k 100,000 = 100k and so on.

• Thumbsup 3

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

15 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

You wrote "1000k" in your reply to the thread which implies 1000 x 1000... usually 1,000 would be represented as 1k. 10,000 = 1k 100,000 = 100k and so on.

I can admit when I'm wrong,,,it was a brain typo,,,thanks 

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Bill H said:

HUH ?? 1000,is a thousand 🧐Einstein

Plato, Arisototle, Socrates.....Einstein? Morons. 

Let’s go Brandon

When I bought my ZX6R I changed the oil at 200 miles and again at 600 miles and learned a valuable lesson.  LOL only kept the bike 7,000 miles so all the careful planning the the longest possible life was for nothing.  Few months after I traded it got a letter from the police - it was impounded after being parked somewhere.  Purchaser had not registered the bike and was running with tag off a different bike so probably didn't take care of the bike either.  Probably my favorite fun bike but not so good for long trips.

So in order to maximize the life of my Tracer GT I changed the oil at 600 miles.  :-)

On 4/29/2021 at 10:25 AM, skipperT said:

.... you’ve never seen the screens on a KTM or Husky have you? You would freak...

-Skip 

Or the screens on a “modern” Lycoming or Continental GA engine...think the worst I’ve ever seen were R-985s that had been running “non-detergent” oil that were accidentally serviced with “detergent” oil-they would collapse and have to be levered out of the housing...

My nearly new (<400 miles) FJR oil and final drive changes did have me wondering...but after the first couple, and doing periodic oil analysis, Blackstone Laboratories assured me that everything was just fine.

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, thewrenchbender said:

Or the screens on a “modern” Lycoming or Continental GA engine...think the worst I’ve ever seen were R-985s that had been running “non-detergent” oil that were accidentally serviced with “detergent” oil-they would collapse and have to be levered out of the housing...

My nearly new (<400 miles) FJR oil and final drive changes did have me wondering...but after the first couple, and doing periodic oil analysis, Blackstone Laboratories assured me that everything was just fine.

How could an aircraft shop use the wrong oil?  THAT seems scary....

15 minutes ago, Skidood said:

How could an aircraft shop use the wrong oil?  THAT seems scary....

Short version is each engine holds 9 gallons and less than a gallon an hour is “acceptable”. And I may have mentioned to management several times that the only issue was gonna be line service dumping the wrong oil in the wrong engine (some planes were split left/right)...