Japanese D.I.D chain maintenance video

petshark

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

lol my wife caught me doing something like this once.  Was the windshield for my MT07.  Mind you, I was in the bathtub as well.  She didn't ask, or even say anything.  She just stared for a moment, then backed out of the bathroom and closed the door. 

Seriously, though, it was a way easier way to wet sand the windshield down and get it all new looking.  

*shrugs* Seems perfectly normal to me.

That is GOLD!  I'm still laughing. 🤣😂🤣

Kerosene in a spray bottle, wipe/rub chain down until all the grit and gunk is gone, then apply new lube to said sparkly chain. Typically get between 15,000 and 20,000 kms per chain so I'm happy. I have a grunge brush but it's in a box... somewhere out there...

2 hours ago, iamthedruman said:

Kerosene in a spray bottle, wipe/rub chain down until all the grit and gunk is gone, then apply new lube to said sparkly chain. Typically get between 15,000 and 20,000 kms per chain so I'm happy. I have a grunge brush but it's in a box... somewhere out there...

I also use kerosene in a spray bottle and have been very happy with how well it works. If I remember correctly DID still recommends to use it on the package of the VX3 chain as well.

It is disconcerting to see this chain cleaner test on FortNine though:

Kerosene penetrates the o-rings immediately in this test. (video starts at the specific test I'm referring to)

Except... if this is true: (another weird find)

600x600wp.png

‎Show Vital MX, Ep Tech Edition: We are going off the CHAIN! - Jun 26, 2020

A podcast interview with Clayton Solise of D.I.D Chains (US). It's a motocross podcast but they are discussing motorcycle chains in general. Clayton claims that the grease behind the o-rings is gone after a few 1000 miles and needs to be replenished by using chain lube. My gut feeling during the entire interview is that he actually has little knowledge of the technical aspects of the chains he represents. This claim also goes against everything I ever came across while researching chain maintenance...

• Premium Member

BS. I lube exclusively with 80w90 gear oil. I always break my chain at the master. There’s always been grease behind the o-rings/ rollers etc. Its black and looks terrible but  it’s grease and not oil. I get around 20k miles from a chain and sprockets. 

Let’s go Brandon

I personally believe the OEM don't want our chains to not last very long, otherwise they'd be losing money with such long intervals. Friend of mine NEVER cleans his chains but lubes every fill up, the dude seriously averages 40/50k miles on his chains. He like I will wipe off the chain occasionally with a rag, but that is literally all he does plus religious lubing. 

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, petshark said:

I have no idea why but I don't like the idea of an auto oiler. If I didn't have a car and had to commute every day I am sure I would get one. Thanks for letting me know they work so well though, maybe I'll change my mind some day and it's good to have options.

What don't you like about them?  

Unobtrusive, only oil when the bike is moving so a controlled amount is used, and a chain that's forever clean and lubed with no effort.  

The only negative I've found in the year and a half's usage mine has had is that it makes the underside of my left side hardcase dirty, so it's something to keep in mind if I bring them inside.

Not trying to convince you of anything here, just genuinely curious about the comment. 

On 5/21/2021 at 7:12 PM, Wintersdark said:

What don't you like about them?  

Unobtrusive, only oil when the bike is moving so a controlled amount is used, and a chain that's forever clean and lubed with no effort.  

The only negative I've found in the year and a half's usage mine has had is that it makes the underside of my left side hardcase dirty, so it's something to keep in mind if I bring them inside.

Not trying to convince you of anything here, just genuinely curious about the comment. 

I've always disliked the idea of them, it's not a rational thing. I think my brain just goes..  dripping oil = bad. 🙂

1 hour ago, petshark said:

dripping oil = bad. 🙂

Dry chain with grinding paste = worse.

I use the Scottoiler (vacuum system, the cheaper one). It uses one drop of oil per minute, only when the engine is running. It does what their literature says, flings off small amounts of oil and along with that will be road grime, dirt. 

Ever since I hooked that thing up my chain always looks clean, slightly shiny (oiled) and I have zero concern about my O-rings drying out and cracking apart as happened on an earlier bike. I do get some speckles of oil on the rim (none on tire) and it does cause some drips where I park (easily remedied with piece of cardboard). 

Again I am totally OK with the slight mess, because this is not an enclosed shaft drive and the chain needs as much care as it can get. In the 1970's I neglected a chain and had it fly off when I was accelerating onto the freeway. Maybe I am still overcompensating for my wicked past. I am lucky that chain came off the bike instead of breaking the engine case.

• Thumbsup 2
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

Managed to watch the whole video finally and yes, the subtitles seem to be a pretty decent summary.

When he introduces the toothbrush ~3:30 he does specify that it's soft (yawarakai) bristle - and I'm pretty sure I've owned that brand (for teeth purposes).

On the other side, the subtitles say to wait ten minutes, but he doesn't actually say that, but to wait some time until the dirt is loosening, before spraying again.

He does say not to use hard (bristle) items (kataimono) and gives an example of wire brushes per the subtitles, noting that they can scratch (kizu) the seals and worst cases the seals can be broken/cut by hard bristles.

Useless trivia: the tray he uses says Daidou Kougyou on it, which is DID's company name.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1