What Helmet do you ride in?

Cruizin

I wish there was a comprehensive guide for head shape. My Bell makes my forehead sore after 2-3 hours.
Have you seen this one: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

Just had that problem with my shark speed r, got me an Arai quantum st pro or signet I think it's called in murica. Long oval shape.
First helmet I've owned that touches the sides of my head lol

Shoei X-Spirit, Shoei GT-Air and Arai Tour X4
excellent choice sir.

I bought an x4 last week to replace my shoei neotec that I bought six months ago to replace my tour-x3, 7 years old. Very pleased with the x4...

The shoei I have given to a friend.

The x4 is better than the shoei, and an improvement on the x3.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Guest reeseyboy
Shoei X-Spirit, Shoei GT-Air and Arai Tour X4
excellent choice sir.  
I bought an x4 last week to replace my shoei neotec that I bought six months ago to replace my tour-x3, 7 years old. Very pleased with the x4...

The X4 was a bit of a gamble for me. I've always liked the looks of these types of helmets but was a little concerned about lift and drag from the peak. Has been faultless and very comfortable. The only downside is having to remove the peak to change visors.... 

• Premium Member
excellent choice sir.  

The X4 was a bit of a gamble for me. I've always liked the looks of these types of helmets but was a little concerned about lift and drag from the peak. Has been faultless and very comfortable. The only downside is having to remove the peak to change visors....
and the price...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I got the Diamond White for £350. The Shoei was 450, and whilst good in many ways, I missed the peak too much, low sun is easily shielded in the evenings.

The x4 is lighter and quieter than the x3, and the neotec
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
I got the Diamond White for £350. The Shoei was 450, and whilst good in many ways, I missed the peak too much, low sun is easily shielded in the evenings. 
The x4 is lighter and quieter than the x3, and the neotec
I'm happy with the end of line Shoei XR1100 (RF1200 in US) for £250. Bought a 2nd one as I have invested in a dark visor and thinner cheek pads.  
Hopefully the X4 idea of the removable layer on the padding is passed down to the cheaper models in the range
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest reeseyboy
and the price...
Got a deal on it; £150 off. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My prior helmet was a Fulmer full face which was 13 years old (yikes).

Since I upgraded my ride to a new FJ 09, a new helmet was clearly in order. The Shoei Neotec has been fantastic so far. I wanted a modular that fit well and was offered in white and had good ratings by Sharp. Chose the Neotec over the Schuberth based largely on the Sharp ratings.

This helmet vents far better than my prior helmet (pretty sure that one was chosen as the cheapest full face from the dealership). The visor is also much clearer. Have not had a chance to test out the pinlock or breath guard. Huge fan of the flip down sun visor. I ride the Blue Ridge Parkway frequently and it is often sun dappeled. Too bright with no sunglasses/dark visor in the sun, but just as quickly go through shaded portions where a dark visor makes it too dark. I don't have experience with a photochromic shield but would be surprised if it transitioned fast enough for me.

Wasn't sure how much use I would get out of the modular component, but it has been great. I love lifting the front at a stop light or during brief rest stops on the Blue Ridge parkway. Haven't had a chance to crash test it and hope I never will, but I like what Sharp had to say about it, 4 stars overall (higher than the GT air) and modular portion stayed closed during >90% of tests.

I ditched my Arai Signet GT early last year after about 10 years of use.  It worked great for years, but it fell apart on me while going 50 mph.  Thankfully I was on my way to a bike rally with alot of vendors, so I got to try several on at the same time.  I went with the Schuberth C3 Pro. I had some reservations about spending so much on helmet, but I got it at a good price ~$670.  

It is so quiet, light, and cool (looking and wearing).  All of the controls are easy to use with a gloved hand.  I have a big head, so if I can find a helmet that fits, price is not my primary concern.  

After putting in about 500 miles with my new Shoei Neotec, thought it was time for a review. In short this helmet is fantastic!

Fit
I found the fit true to size to just a touch on the small side. I have a head circumference of 56.7cm, this would appear to fall between the small and medium sizes. The small fit but was uncomfortably snug causing headache after a few minutes. The medium fit well, passed all the fit tests, much more comfortable. When looking through product reviews on this helmet, I noted many complaints about the cheek pads. Perhaps I have an oddly shaped face but they fit me appropriately. Proper fitting cheek pads should be snug and give you a bit of a chipmunk sensation.

Ventilation
My favorite part of this helmet. I have ridden in temperatures ranging from 50 degrees and raining to 85 and sunny. With warm weather open up the three vents and you actually get ventilation! Nice and cool. This is in contrast to my last helmet where the vents could either be open or closed but you never got any ventilation no matter what you did with them. Riding through the cold/rain I have kept the vents closed and my head stays nice and warm. If ventilation is a priority, give this helmet serious consideration.

Fogging
Noted some minimal fogging initially when riding through a rapid temperature change. After installing the pinlock and breath guard this is no longer an issue (now if I could just keep my side view mirrors and wind screen from fogging!).

Visor
Great field of view. Much clearer than my previous helmet. The visor does have relatively firm detents and is a little fussy to change the visor out (say to install the pinlock). The flip down sun visor is fantastic. Drops down far enough to not have an annoying line across your visual field. No distortion. Mechanism is easy to operate with gloves on.

Modular component
In all honesty I wasn't certain how much use this would get but wanted to give it a try. I love being able to stop at a light and quickly raise the chin bar to cool off a bit, or be able to get a quick drink in or have a conversation while taking a quick stop touring. I always hated taking my helmet all the way off in the rain just to get a drink/snack. Your hair gets wet and if you put your helmet on the ground so does your neck roll. Highly recommend a modular helmet if you are in to touring.

Safety
This helmet score 4 stars by SHARP and carried a DOT certification. The chin bar stayed down 93% of the time in SHARP testing. If you are not familiar with SHARP they are a UK based agency that evaluates helmet safety by testing different impact zones and assigns a rating of 1-5 stars. 4 starts I pretty solid for a modular helmet.

If anyone is on the fence about giving this helmet a try in my opinion it is well worth the investment. 

Oh, and I went with white for safety reasons. I don't mind that it makes me look a bit like a storm trooper. Really wanted to get the matte grey to match the bike though...