2020 Tracer 900GT hot air flow

Most bikes have this phenomenon, some worse than others but heat build up from the engine flows to the nearest open spot to escape. For me it;s on both sides of the fuel  tank along the opening between tank and carbon fiber look trim piece hitting both of my thighs. Looks like that gap can simply be blocked with some foam roping I have, think I will try it this week before leaving on a trip to HOT Western US. I would think the heat would just find another opening behind the rider position.  Thoughts?

The water temp guage is not the issue! It is not a ride stopper but the hot air in the engine compartment area flows through the gap I mentioned right onto my inner thighs. Just looking for ideas to reduce that flow. It's not a guage issue.

Never been a complaint for this bike in any generation. (Yes, I know all about heat management hacks on pre-2006 FJR’s.)

If you figure something out, feel free to keep the community informed. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, TomTracer said:

The water temp guage is not the issue! It is not a ride stopper but the hot air in the engine compartment area flows through the gap I mentioned right onto my inner thighs. Just looking for ideas to reduce that flow. It's not a guage issue.

I think he meant when you try your remedy, watch the temp gauge to make sure you didn’t create an engine overheat issue

• Thumbsup 3

Coolest running bike and engine heat management I have ever owned, rode 6 hours in 90 degrees today and honestly felt little to no engine heat anywhere on my body.

• Thumbsup 5

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

Coolest running bike and engine heat management I have ever owned, rode 6 hours in 90 degrees today and honestly felt little to no engine heat anywhere on my body.

Good for you. But for me if I can easily improve anythi g about rider comfort for me, I will. We see lots of posts about issues for others that I think-really!? Doesnt make them a non issue for that poster. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TomTracer said:

Good for you. But for me if I can easily improve anythi g about rider comfort for me, I will. We see lots of posts about issues for others that I think-really!? Doesnt make them a non issue for that poster. 

There is zero engine heat for me with this bike at over 13k miles.  I rode 300 miles with temps peaking at 100F.  The road surface was cooking but nothing from the bike.  Zero. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

25k miles on my '15 FJ-09 and I did a 570mi round trip in 95F weather last month; I've never noticed the engine heat on this bike, it's nonexistent. 

Like others have said already, this hasn't been an issue on any of generation of this bike. It leads me to think something may be defective on yours, maybe a distilled water flush of the cooling system would help.

Edited by jthayer09

15 hours ago, TomTracer said:

Yup never said it wasn't an issue for YOU, however since I've been here on the forum it doesn't appear to be an issue for the collective. I hope you find a solution that suits you, be sure to share if you figure it out.

• Thumbsup 1

First complaint I've heard about engine heat on this bike.  Go try an ST1300. without the normal fixes on that forum it was too hot for many. Some left the ST1300 over it.

Start with TB sync. it needs it anyway. Try your insulation there, won't be a problem. Get an ECU flash, besides running cooler, the fan comes on earlier.

Monitor the temp. gauge, what are you running at?

I can't even find any heat coming out of my bike, runs nice and cool even in this 95F at 90% humidity right now. Actual ambient heat is the only problem.

• Thumbsup 1

Couple of weeks ago rode from Missouri to Nebraska via central Kansas.  Temps were 105 for almost three hours!  No heat from bike though.  If I opened visor felt like a hair dryer on high blowing in my face but bike was cool.  My old bike (BMWF800GT) had a generic heat issue which was just as you describe.  My 2020 Tracer GT has no issues.  Makes me think there is something on your bike that is missing or miss aligned which is allowing hot air to flow out those spots.  I know on the F800GT it seemed to be affected somewhat by how carefully I aligned the inner fairing pieces.

Fact that is is a rare issue means you should be able to find the cause and fix it.  On my BMW I had to live with it!  Near Vernal Utah I rode in 100 degree temps and at slower speeds on a steep uphill road.  Bike did fine with water temps going up to 204 8 think but had not issues.  For those familiar with that area it was the road to Jones Hole Hatchery.  An amazing place and interesting ride.  Old suface not so good so not a fast ride. 

Thanks for your reply Al.

That F800 was a hot bike, and buzzy, my R1100 was fairly hot too. I've ridden the Vernal area many times over the years and it is an interesting area.

My 900 is new, and the only panels that have been off are the turn signal panels  and whatever the tech took off for the break-in first service. Panel gaps are even on both sides of the bike. I leave later this week for a ride until we are tired of it couple week trip. I've looked head on at the bike and see nothing that looks out of place or missing. Coolant temps are in the mid 170's range. My issue is not huge, just something I intend to see if I can improve it regardless of some of the earlier never ever been an issue on these bikes comments. I leave later this week with a buddy on what could end up a 2+ week trip so will see.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1