Who has taken the %$@!?(& thumb wheel apart?

26 minutes ago, flyfifer said:

But it's still impossible to alter the heated grips whilst riding  --- you might if it's a 20mile straight with no traffic ,!

I don't need another distraction while moving. That switch was on the bike when I bought it. There is plenty of opprlortunity to stop for a minute to turn them on/off/adjust. My opinion of course. 

• Thumbsup 2

49 minutes ago, flyfifer said:

But it's still impossible to alter the heated grips whilst riding  --- you might if it's a 20mile straight with no traffic ,!

Yeah these last few trips I've missed the ability to turn on or off the heated grips... essentially unless you have cruise going on, it seems touch and go.   Its a terrible setup. 

Tried @petshark method when I filled up Saturday.  Found if pushed almost but not quite vertically it worked perfectly for me.  Will have to keep using it that was as the heated grips are the most important item to control when riding.  IMO heated grips should have a button, every push turn them up then they go to off.

• Thumbsup 3

For me the wheel works fine but the push to select or change a setting is the fiddly part.  If it's simply a momentary contact closure that's needed, couldn't we just add a separate button?  Has anyone disassembled the switch enough to determine if there's a way to solder in an external momentary switch in place of the wheel press? i.e. leaving the roller part of the switch functional but adding a momentary button that is guaranteed to work as needed?

Since I got the wheel to work with the correct technique it has worked every time without fail. I do scroll thru the various displays but do not do more without stopping. I know some of us think we should be able to do everything while in motion, I don't think it safe. Lots of years riding and age lead me there.

• Thumbsup 1

9 minutes ago, st1100pilot said:

For me the wheel works fine but the push to select or change a setting is the fiddly part.  If it's simply a momentary contact closure that's needed, couldn't we just add a separate button?  Has anyone disassembled the switch enough to determine if there's a way to solder in an external momentary switch in place of the wheel press? i.e. leaving the roller part of the switch functional but adding a momentary button that is guaranteed to work as needed?

Nice idea…..if I was to do it, I would make by connection in the harness and not mess with the swich. A good wiring diagram will show you where.

I actually like the idea because it would make use of heated grips easier for me.

• Thumbsup 1

1 minute ago, duckie said:

Nice idea…..if I was to do it, I would make by connection in the harness and not mess with the swich. A good wiring diagram will show you where.

I assumed that the wheel press switch may be integrated into a PCB vs. having separate wires coming off it.  If it's the latter, then it's a piece of cake to resolve this properly with a separate momentary button.  Anyone know the details of the wiring coming off the wheel switch?

I just received an email from Garmin talking about the new Garmin PowerSwitch.  Best I can tell it is a s6 circuit power switch that can modulate those circuits and also has two inputs which can be used to turn it on with ignition and say turn on extra brake lights from the brake circuit or spot lights with high beam.  Can control from Garmin XT which I've had good success controlling with gloves on while riding - not programming but simple stuff like turning on "what's ahead".  My first thought was that would be a nice way to control heated gear and heated grips.

I'm currently running a Neutrino Element which is similar but uses a smartphone interface and does not interface with the Zumo XT.  I control my heated jacket with it and has worked well but not used much.  When setting out for a long trip out west and the temperature is in the 90s typically don't think about winter gear and heated gear but have learned the hard way - take a heated jacket.  I have a Warm and Safe jacket that is also nice enough to wear in the evenings as just a light jacket.  

EDIT:  Cost - $499 that's a lot so will have to think about it long and hard.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

So, pulled out my Haynes for my tracer and been looking at the wiring diagram.

For the wheel, it shows a N/O switch with one wire that goes to a dash connetor, the other looks like going to a ground. It looks like it provides a ground to the dash when  pressed. 

It appears the rotation of the wheel controls 12vdc to the dash for menu selection using    other wires.

Ive been thinking where to mount the external switch. 

Edited by duckie
  • Thumbsup 2

18 hours ago, duckie said:

I've been thinking where to mount the external switch. 

Something like this would make it easy to return to stock if desired.  I'd likely try to fit this on the left side somewhere so I can scroll with my right and press the button with my left hand.

https://smile.amazon.com/Handlebar-Weatherproof-Motorcycle-Headlight-Automatic/dp/B07GPG41F4/ref=sr_1_37?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+momentary&qid=1633105592&sr=8-37

or

https://smile.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Adjustable-Waterproof-Cycling-retail/dp/B082F75Q2W/ref=pd_bxgy_img_1/132-8077947-1354517?pd_rd_w=XjmRX&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=A1F2X0DAM4KTNKA3YMPV&pd_rd_r=de271e8a-5254-4ac7-8527-333c4c1c57ee&pd_rd_wg=it5lI&pd_rd_i=B082F75Q2W&psc=1

Edited by st1100pilot

So, Ive decided to try mount a switch such that I dont have to take my left hand off to use it.

Gonna make a bracket, unless I find one suitable, to mount under the mirror nut and puts the switch not to far from my left index finger.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, duckie said:

So, Ive decided to try mount a switch such that I dont have to take my left hand off to use it.

Gonna make a bracket, unless I find one suitable, to mount under the mirror nut and puts the switch not to far from my left index finger.

Keep everyone here posted on how it works out.  If its a success, this could be a popular mod.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 9/30/2021 at 5:24 PM, duckie said:

So, pulled out my Haynes for my tracer and been looking at the wiring diagram.

For the wheel, it shows a N/O switch with one wire that goes to a dash connetor, the other looks like going to a ground. It looks like it provides a ground to the dash when  pressed. 

It appears the rotation of the wheel controls 12vdc to the dash for menu selection using    other wires.

So I also dove into the schematic and I think I concur with your assessment i.e. 80 on the following schematic screen shot appears to be the wheel switch (81 being the roller wheel forwards/backwards) and a momentary short of White/Blue wire to Black wire should mimic the wheel press.

1573651040_Tracer900GTrollerwheelwiringdiagram.JPG.c5bbb9a510c4864fc966632532746e24.JPG

Man, if this works, I'll ABSOLUTELY do it.  A momentary switch by the left grip and the wheel on the right as normal for forwards/back would be brilliant for me.  It's really just pushing the wheel that's so problematic, and this wouldn't interfere with the stock switchgear at all, just tapping into the blue/white and a ground.