Who has taken the %$@!?(& thumb wheel apart?

15 hours ago, kilo3 said:

If one was inclined, you would put a toggle switch somewhere and use the traction control or drive mode button for the selection, whichever you use less.

Sounds to me as if that would complicate things.  You'd still be adding a switch (except now you'd need a DPDT?) and would be cutting into two circuits instead of one.

3 hours ago, st1100pilot said:

Sounds to me as if that would complicate things.  You'd still be adding a switch (except now you'd need a DPDT?) and would be cutting into two circuits instead of one.

You wanna get really complicated, swap the switching harness side-to-side. So the wheel/click does throttle mode & ABS mode and the toggle & switch do menu select and scroll-which is how the menus/switchgear work on an FJR.

I very seldom (never) change the throttle mode/ABS mode…

4 hours ago, st1100pilot said:

Just an option, I have no qualms with the current thumbwheel 🤷‍♂️

• Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Just an option, I have no qualms with the current thumbwheel 🤷‍♂️

The main issue I have with it is that the extremely similar “menu” functions (plus windshield height) were provided with the exact switchgear present on the LH grip on my ‘15 FJR-and was accomplished effortlessly.

I am not comfortable using my right thumb to manipulate a marginal (at best) interface. It did get a lot easier after I looked at the pic of the internals and saw exactly which direction to shove the wheel to “click” it-but is still too complicated to manipulate on the fly for me…

• Thumbsup 2

23 minutes ago, thewrenchbender said:

I am not comfortable using my right thumb to manipulate a marginal (at best) interface. It did get a lot easier after I looked at the pic of the internals and saw exactly which direction to shove the wheel to “click” it-but is still too complicated to manipulate on the fly for me…

I feel exactly the same way. RH controls should be simple and minimal. The thumbwheel on the RH side, IMO, is a poor design idea. Just as cruise control on the RH side is for some bikes. On my other bike I have the multifunction wheel on the LH side and it works perfectly.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

So I am trying to find the mfg of this, I installed this button setup on my Triumph (wired to the back of the gauge cluster to remap the 3 buttons from the dash to the handlebars easily)  ... it is meant for an aftermarket gauge/cluster setup, but I cant find where I bought it from. 

This would replace the entire wheel setup with some work.    I am going to keep looking. 

image.png.01687f4f43dced561495912389dd32ac.png

• Supporting Member

Went to look at a new 9GT yesterday. I did notice that is a lot more 'side play' on the thumb wheel of the 9GT,compared with the 900 GT. Whether that makes it easier to use when riding,I don't know ??

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90