The average mileage of my 2018 Tracer 900 GT during 15600 Km is 5.14 L/ 100 Km, which is about 45.8 US MPG.

The calculation is not done by the onboard computer but tracking fuelings at spritmonitor.de

• Thumbsup 2

23 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I run very consistently 5.2l/100km, so around 45mph reported.  Probably a little less; I'd assume 42-43mpg which aligns with a lot of other posts here.  I ride like an utter asshole most of the time, but admittedly I tend to do predominately highway miles - there's no stop and go traffic for me, so despite always accelerating very hard, the majority of my riding is done at constant speed. 

With that said, I'm able to ride and keep it in the 4.5l/100km range if I just accelerate like a car and do the speed limit, I just don't want to. I've had it as low as 4.2l/100km reported when experimenting with hypermiling for lols.  I don't doubt @Rick123, with the right habits and riding environment that's entirely obtainable. 

But that said, gas is (even at current prices) very cheap relative to everything else I spend on my bike and I'm not willing to compromise the fun I have to save a dollar at the pump.  I'll pay the extra couple dollars and keep being a hooligan :)

Good for you. I think my riding is pretty normal. But generally in my opinion your bike is like the horse- if you treat it gently it will cooperate and work for you.

14 hours ago, Rick123 said:

Good for you. I think my riding is pretty normal. But generally in my opinion your bike is like the horse- if you treat it gently it will cooperate and work for you.

Just in case - written text struggles with tone - I in no way meant my comment as an insult. 

I was just saying the fuel mileage you got is definitely achievable.  I'd argue at least amongst people posting their milage however, it's not normal riding though.  Probably more responsible, however!

As to treating it gently, well, I suppose that depends on how you define gently :) I'd argue the CP3 was designed from the ground up to be ridden pretty hard and seems happiest above 5k RPM, and I endeavour to keep her happy at all times.

To each their own though!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 3

There seems to be two types of riders, those who track their bikes use of fuel, and those that have no effing idea. 
Im in the later camp. 
And agree that the Tracer needs to be kept above 5000rpm. 
Between 6000 and 9000 is where the magic happens. 

• Thumbsup 1

During all my years of riding only once have been fumes away from dead in the water, and once out on I-80 xit ramp W of Omaha. I dont dwell on mpg, riding like I stole it mixed with "normal". But if $1.00 worth of gas changes how I ride-time for me to get a job or hang it up.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, OZVFR said:

There seems to be two types of riders, those who track their bikes use of fuel, and those that have no effing idea. 
Im in the later camp. 
And agree that the Tracer needs to be kept above 5000rpm. 
Between 6000 and 9000 is where the magic happens. 

My 15 reminds me of my RD 400 with 1 extra cylinder.

And the torque don't start until 5k on my twin also Above that

Only problem is even with my rev limiter and electronic Ignition. It signs off by 9 grand and then you're looking for detonation.

But up until then it holds hands with the FJ. In terms of being raw and real not a sewing machine with lots of fun noises too

• Premium Member

And if you want bad gas mileage get a Honda VTR 1000 F superhawk or firestorm.

Amazingly I've only in 111k+ miles I've only run out of gas once (knock on plastic). But  with a 4 gallon tank that you can't get all of and the largest carburetor's Honda ever Put on anything ever it'stough to get 33 mpg!

But it's the opposite of the f j

it's smooth and calming in the way it goes fast.

If you can call a 90゚ V twin smooth.

9 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Just in case - written text struggles with tone - I in no way meant my comment as an insult. 

I was just saying the fuel mileage you got is definitely achievable.  I'd argue at least amongst people posting their milage however, it's not normal riding though.  Probably more responsible, however!

As to treating it gently, well, I suppose that depends on how you define gently :) I'd argue the CP3 was designed from the ground up to be ridden pretty hard and seems happiest above 5k RPM, and I endeavour to keep her happy at all times.

To each their own though!

I didn’t take it as an insult at all. Just healthy discussion. All good.

5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

My 15 reminds me of my RD 400 with 1 extra cylinder.

And the torque don't start until 5k on my twin also Above that

Only problem is even with my rev limiter and electronic Ignition. It signs off by 9 grand and then you're looking for detonation.

But up until then it holds hands with the FJ. In terms of being raw and real not a sewing machine with lots of fun noises too

I had an RD400 back in the 80's, it was all or nothing.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, OZVFR said:

I had an RD400 back in the 80's, it was all or nothing.

Stock my 77 was NOT gutless above 3k and was pretty even tempered even when it came on the pipe without too much drama.

But goose the carbs, change to Banshe reed cages, port the cylinders, slip on a Y-rubber intake boot to one big K&N, and after ditching the goofy rubber mounted footpeg bracket that looped under and up on each side so expansion chambers can tuck in under the motor, then fit rearsets and clubmans, and WATCH OUT when the tach needle swings past 6 grand!

Of course reworked forks off a TZ, bronze swingarm bushings, some frame gussets here and there, a steering stabilizer and some sweat emulsion shocks and you were competitive into the early 80s.

The original Giant Killer.

I love the odor of burning 2smoke oil in the morning. 

It smells like VICTORY!

• Supporting Member

Not that this is scientific, but a decent guide for what one can expect (for FJ's at least)

And here are my stats, for whatever it's worth - sometimes I ride conservatively, sometimes spirited.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 4 months later...

50+ mpg every tank so far!!  According to my "Fully app" keeps track of maintaince too.  I have gotten an average of 52.8 for 1800 miles since I bought the bike mid summer.  Now before you bash me for not riding correctly.  It is more of where I ride, you won't get better milage riding anywhere.  I do virtually zero city driving and stay away from traffic.  Mostly back roads and small hwys.  They tend to have posted speed limits of around 35 and less around here because of amount of corners which most of them are blind corners.  Parts of the roads have no sun so they stay damp most of the time I wonder about some mold on these, and gravel washed out from driveways is common.  So in reality I rarely see above 60mph which is fine cause I love to do do all the twists and hills and keep it at a pace I can enjoy the scenery.  Love the foothills of the Smokies.  I run b mode on these back roads much smoother in and out of corners and use regular grade fuel.  The computer was flashed by a previous owner so I don't know if std mode is really std.

Edited by Robber
added fuel and flashed computer info
  • Thumbsup 1