• Supporting Member

I just got back from an overnight trip and wanted to monitor fuel economy related to temperature. 

The mornings were cold, between 42-46F and there was moderate fog.  I set the cruise control at 70mph and reset the fuel average and rode on open highway for a solid 90 minutes with no traffic or throttle fluctuations and was getting 37-39mpg.

The afternoon was warm, 75-77F and I repeated the same ultra-scientific test.  With the higher temperature and less dense air, 70mph was reading between 48-51mpg on the open highway.

I have checked the readings at elevation as well, I get significantly better fuel economy in the mountains at higher elevations vs. near sea level.  On a hot afternoon at elevation I have seen a tank average in the mid 50's mpg under mixed riding conditions, not just cruising at a steady 70mph.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

I just got back from an overnight trip and wanted to monitor fuel economy related to temperature. 

The mornings were cold, between 42-46F and there was moderate fog.  I set the cruise control at 70mph and reset the fuel average and rode on open highway for a solid 90 minutes with no traffic or throttle fluctuations and was getting 37-39mpg.

The afternoon was warm, 75-77F and I repeated the same ultra-scientific test.  With the higher temperature and less dense air, 70mph was reading between 48-51mpg on the open highway.

I have checked the readings at elevation as well, I get significantly better fuel economy in the mountains at higher elevations vs. near sea level.  On a hot afternoon at elevation I have seen a tank average in the mid 50's mpg under mixed riding conditions, not just cruising at a steady 70mph.

Wow, that's a huge range.

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, The Cheese said:

I've only had 3 tanks that I kept up with the milage on so far. Each was 40MPG. Doesn't seem to matter how I ride it, I get the same. 

Ivan's tune. 20" Madstad shield. 30L Givi Dolomiti box. Stock exhaust. Various riding styles and types of roads. 

It seems pretty low. I’m averaging around 50MPG and it seems pretty constant  (2 FJ09 previously, Tracer 900 standard and now on GT).

• Premium Member

Again, if I manage 40 taking it relatively easy, I'm happy.  That's with a stock size screen with a small spoiler, Givi case guards with twin 3 inch driving, my small Shad 29 top case, and of course my mass.

If I get on it at all, 38 or less is easy.

And the mileage readout lies big time!

20230923_190149.jpg

20230923_190156.jpg

20230923_161841.jpg

On 9/18/2023 at 5:29 PM, The Pilot said:

I have noticed a pretty hefty MPG drop since getting the flash done… most likely rider induced because I can’t get enough of how much harder this thing pulls now!

IMG_7143.jpeg

That's unfortunate. The flash having that big of an effect, that is.

I've been thinking hard about having that done. It's not that I care about mileage per se, but I'd hate to take the range hit.

The computer on my bike is about 10% too high when calculation MPG. It's also about 10% low the gallons used.

I wouldn't let the lower mpg keep you from getting a tune. I've never ridden this bike with out a tune so I can't compare. But I know with a tune it's awesome. If I have to pay 15-20% more at fill up, so be it. Totally worth it.

I'll try to be more conservative with the next two tanks and see what I get.

• Thumbsup 2

16 hours ago, The Cheese said:

The computer on my bike is about 10% too high when calculation MPG. It's also about 10% low the gallons used.

I wouldn't let the lower mpg keep you from getting a tune. I've never ridden this bike with out a tune so I can't compare. But I know with a tune it's awesome. If I have to pay 15-20% more at fill up, so be it. Totally worth it.

I'll try to be more conservative with the next two tanks and see what I get.

To be honest, I can't imagine turning down a flash due to decreased fuel economy.  Mostly just that in the extreme case that you *need* that bit of range (where?) you can carry a spare fuel bag/can anyways, but aside from that these bikes are super cheap to ride regardless. 

I mean, sure, it's fun to work out the fuel economy but.. eh.  It's really not very important.

That's just me though.

10 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

To be honest, I can't imagine turning down a flash due to decreased fuel economy.  Mostly just that in the extreme case that you *need* that bit of range (where?) you can carry a spare fuel bag/can anyways, but aside from that these bikes are super cheap to ride regardless. 

I mean, sure, it's fun to work out the fuel economy but.. eh.  It's really not very important.

That's just me though.

Running premium in this bike is certainly painful at the pump with these intentional gas prices, never dreamed I'd spend $40 worth of fuel on a good day ride. 😔

Ive been able to find non ethanol locally. I've used that for the majority of my fill ups. I should have said that in the above post. E0 should be good for a slight MPG increase. I use it almost exclusively in my car. Which returns 36 mpg on my commute regularly btw. If I drive conservative I can get 40mpg. Just about the same as the Tracer.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:22 AM, Ride365 said:

Running premium in this bike is certainly painful at the pump with these intentional gas prices, never dreamed I'd spend $40 worth of fuel on a good day ride. 😔

Sure, it sucks, but if you look at the difference in cost between a slightly less fuel efficient flashed bike and a more fuel efficient but less fun unflashed bike...  I'd pay the extra dollar, personally :)

• Supporting Member

45-46mpg... on any 91 octane (w/ethanol or otherwise, I don't really care). Measly ~40mpg when I am in the sticks and in cold temps, running "regular"... or "gas". Consumption did suffer after the bike was flashed... from ~50mpg running 91 octane.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif