Guess who won Rider Magazine's "2021 Motorcycle of the Year"?

Warchild

Good choice, thanks for sharing.

Some interesting bikes in the field but IMO the Tracer 9 GT is a sophisticated middle weight sport touring bike that is not expensive.  Sure it's not a $7,999 but do not have to spend anything to make it good, well maybe a seat and windscreen but the essential stuff is all there.  No need to do an Ohlins suspension.

After my recent 6,200 mile trip with long flat and straight stretches combine with some great mountain roads the Tracer (my ancient 2020 GT) is good on the long straight level stretches but exciting in the mountains and had good power.  Could have I used more?  Certainly, I missed the ability to do wheelies in 2nd gear going thru Beartooth Pass ....

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member

Awesome!   Further validation that we're onto something good with these bikes...   It's been quite the journey from the somewhat crude first-year FJ to the refinement of the new Tracer 9 GT.  

• Thumbsup 3

It's a great bike. IMHO its shortcomings far under weigh (joke there) all of the other options. Although a larger fuel tank to allow 250 miles between fills would be nice. 

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

We all grouse over something with eveything we buy. The Tracer 9gt seat, the windscreen, the handlebars, some of technology - "why didn't Yam fix this with the new model" etc. Well, I am an aging/aged long time rider, long time ago back injuries now are big for me so the seat and ride ht are important hence why is the oem seat so terrible! I've changed seat on my last 4 bikes, installed lowering links, adjusted suspensions, footpeg lowering kits, bar risers/set backs, windscreens, ad nauseum. What works for me many here would hate and vice versa. So, who among us would Yamaha make changes for at the expense of others? As I actually expected my issues with the '20 thumbwheel adjuster was me, not the adjuster. I bought the 2020 Tracer 900GT because of it's fairly light weight, all that comes standard on the bike, its power and technology.

I haven't ridden the other bikes deemed eligible of BOT, except KLR (loved my KLR) but based on what the article states about improvements Yamaha has made the award seems well deserved IMO. Did Yamaha buy the award? I doubt it, I'm not a skeptic though generally. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Wonder how much yamaha had to pay for that?

Apparently more than Harley Davidson was willing to pay to have the Pan America win.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 3

He who dies with the most toys wins.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:56 PM, 2linby said:

It's a great bike. IMHO its shortcomings far under weigh (joke there) all of the other options. Although a larger fuel tank to allow 250 miles between fills would be nice. 

and a bigger bladder for me 🙂  

A bigger tank would be nice as I have to keep an eye on gas consumption.  I've been a few places where the next gas is 70 to 100 miles which means have to always monitor fuel level and consumption.

• Thumbsup 1

It beat the KLR650, Royal Enfield Meteor 350, Honda Rebel, BMW R18, Indian Super Chief (or whatever it’s called).

I like my bike but that would have to be the most pointless comparison ever.

Its a million times better than a toaster  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, OZVFR said:

It beat the KLR650, Royal Enfield Meteor 350, Honda Rebel, BMW R18, Indian Super Chief (or whatever it’s called).

I like my bike but that would have to be the most pointless comparison ever.

Its a million times better than a toaster  

I don't know ... I have a 4-slice GE toaster that has been on the same setting (7 on its dials) for maybe 20 years that I had it and it is still giving the exact same shade of toast, even on both sides and the same on all 4 slices. And it is still going strong. No issues at all. If it were to fail today I would still be as pleased as punch. It is one of the rare wins that I have had so far in my life. Can we say the same about the Tracer ... or any morotcycle ...?  😁

But I get your drift ....

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I got rid of our trusty old toaster that never missed a beat because it looked dated. 

Bought a new one with LCD panel and multi program. It does everything great except produce toast as I like it. 

Theres a lesson there for everyone I think. 

Don’ get me started on the electric kettle. 

• Haha 4