Battery Problem - Maybe? 2015 FJ-09

Magnum099

Hi All, 

I bought a brand new, fastest color red, leftover 2015 FJ-09 in May of this year at a nice discount (yes, it is hard to believe there were any new ones left from 2015). I have put ~3500 miles on the bike so far, including a 470 mile trip this weekend.

When I bought the bike, the dealer put in a new battery (seeing as how the original one was ~6 years old and had never been used). The one he installed was a Parts Unlimited Battery (#2113-0089 Non-Spillable), and from everything I can tell it is identical specification wise to Yuasa YTZ10S (which is OEM from my understanding). I am having a strange issue with starting the bike and was hoping for a little insight, so here is the story.

Wednesday night I washed my motorcycle and prepared it for our weekend trip (clean/lube chain, tire pressure, tool kit, etc.). I always use S100 motorcycle wash followed by Motul wash and wax, and then dry it with a cordless leaf blower and microfiber rags. I wash it carefully and do not use a pressure washer, just a standard spray attachment for a water hose. 

Thursday morning I had to go into work, and I commute on my bike also (I work from home but go into the office as needed). I went to try to start it and it turned over slowly but never actually started. After a couple of tries, I realized the battery was dead. I hooked up my charger to it and jumped it off, and it started right up. I rode to work and home later that day with no issue. At this point, I chalked it up to not being kept on a battery tender, as I ride at least 2-3 times per week, so I saw no need to use the maintainer until winter time. I put it on the battery tender overnight and prepared to leave on Friday. 

Friday comes, the bike started fine when we left on our trip and didn't exhibit any noticeable issues that day. 

Saturday morning, however, when I started the bike for the first time it seemed to struggle a bit. And throughout the day Saturday when we would stop, it would struggle to start back up. The longer we stopped, the worse it would struggle (at least that is how it seemed). Luckily, it did not leave me stranded, but I need to figure out this issue before it does. 

I find it strange that a battery only ~5 months old is having issues like this already. I have 3 theories:

1) Maybe the dealer installed an old/bad battery (although it does look new)

2) The battery is just bad (even if it was new)

3) Washing the bike caused this issue (seems like a long shot though)

Does anyone have any insight or advice on this issue? 

At this point I am considering installing a Lithium-Ion Battery and seeing how that goes. I was planning to do that in the future once the battery needed replacement, but I did not expect to do it this soon. 

Another note, I do not particularly trust the dealer I bought it from regarding mechanical work. I can elaborate on that in another post, but I have a couple of reasons to not really want to bring it back to them. I bought the factory service manual online and did my own service at 600 miles (however I did skip the throttle body sync) and plan to continue doing that in the future. I have had no issues with the bike up until now and so far absolutely love it. 

Photo added also just for fun :)

fj-09.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

The issue started only after you washed the bike? Sounds like maybe a case of parasitic load somewhere or a short. If you have a meter you could do a quick test to see if that's the case. One would think that if water ingress were the issue it would be temporary. Check also that running voltage is there to charge the battery.

Best of luck... and congrats on your brand new vintage motorcycle... 🙂

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

If it gets worse as the day goes on, it might not be charged (or not well enough) during the ride.

You need to check the charging circuit. I don’t have experience with that on this bike, so someone else needs to chime in to help you with this.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

First of all, congrats on scoring a new non-current red FJ… I thought those were all long gone by now.   

I have that same Parts Unlimited battery in my 2015 FJ, and it’s worked flawlessly for 2+ years.   It usually stays on the Battery Tender, but even when it hasn't been, the bike always fires right up after sitting for a couple of weeks.    I realize that doesn’t mean you don’t have a bad one, but my experience with the Parts Unlimited battery has been positive.    I’m pretty sure the battery has a manufacture date sticker on it somewhere, if you want to verify that it’s reasonably new.  

I would follow @piotrek advice and see if you have some phantom parasitic load causing the problem, and make sure the charging system is working as it should.   Do you have any accessories hardwired to the battery that might have been left on?  (GPS, radar detector, etc?) 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I have little to add except to compliment that photo - great stuff!  Congrats on the new-to-you bike.  I'm sure the charging issue is something silly / easy to remedy.

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

1 hour ago, piotrek said:

The issue started only after you washed the bike? Sounds like maybe a case of parasitic load somewhere or a short. If you have a meter you could do a quick test to see if that's the case. One would think that if water ingress were the issue it would be temporary. Check also that running voltage is there to charge the battery.

Best of luck... and congrats on your brand new vintage motorcycle... 🙂

Thanks! Yes, it did seem to start after I washed the bike. I thought if water were the issue it would be temporary as you mentioned. 

16 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

First of all, congrats on scoring a new non-current red FJ… I thought those were all long gone by now.   

I have that same Parts Unlimited battery in my 2015 FJ, and it’s worked flawlessly for 2+ years.   It usually stays on the Battery Tender, but even when it hasn't been, the bike always fires right up after sitting for a couple of weeks.    I realize that doesn’t mean you don’t have a bad one, but my experience with the Parts Unlimited battery has been positive.    I’m pretty sure the battery has a manufacture date sticker on it somewhere, if you want to verify that it’s reasonably new.  

I would follow @piotrek advice and see if you have some phantom parasitic load causing the problem, and make sure the charging system is working as it should.   Do you have any accessories hardwired to the battery that might have been left on?  (GPS, radar detector, etc?) 

It is good to hear of a positive experience with the battery. I will check the manufactured date on mine.  

I do not have any accessories hardwired, except for the harness that goes to the battery tender. I will do some troubleshooting with the multimeter and report what I find out. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Magnum099 said:

It is good to hear of a positive experience with the battery. I will check the manufactured date on mine.  

I do not have any accessories hardwired, except for the harness that goes to the battery tender. I will do some troubleshooting with the multimeter and report what I find out. 

Also, make sure that both cables to the battery are bolted tightly to the terminals. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

Also, make sure that both cables to the battery are bolted tightly to the terminals. 

+1 on that, my first thought. Semi-great minds think alike.  Or maybe I should speak for only myself.

• Haha 1

You've got the manual, do you have a multi-meter?  Cheap one is just fine.

Go through the section in the manual on checking the battery and charging system.

Also...When starting.  Do in this order:  Kill switch on.  Key on.  Wait till fuel pump stops.  Then hit starter button.

Sounds too familiar to my experience on my FZ6 9 years ago (wow just talked about it on the Kawasaki forum a couple of days ago).   Had done a FI sync and then it wouldn't start - turned over slowly.  Charged battery then ordered a new one - battery was a few years old.  Got new battery and installed after charging.  Rode to work and it did fine for a couple of days then on the way home it died as I rolled up to a stop sign!  Would not restart even thought I tried rolling it off as I came to a stop.  AAA coverage didn't cover motorcycles so pushed and coasted 2 miles home.  Long story short I replaced regulator but not fixed finally checked stator and it had a burned coil and another one going bad.  Replaced stator and everything was good.

Do a systematic careful check of the electrical charging system!  Usually cheaper that way, I know from experience.  Get a voltmeter and check the charging voltage.  Most motorcycles do not charge well at lower RPM but do well above say 4,000 RPM.  If the system voltage is not 13.8 pr a bit higher then there is a problem.  Could be voltage regulator ( shunt type) but seems more likely to be the stator.  If the bike is charging then it is more than likely a battery problem.  My system was putting out just under 12V which doesn't seem that bad until compared with a healthy system producing 13.8 to 14 volts.  I would up replacing the battery, regulator and stator when the stator may have been the only part needed.  

The interesting part to the story is pushing/coasting 2 miles home involved on moderately steep but not too long of a hill.  I could only push the bike 10 to 15 feet before having to stop to catch my breath and rest.  My wife who was following me in her Smart Car was worried.  4 days later I went for my annual physical which she had set up a couple of weeks prior.  I was going to skip since my doc had retired but she insisted as we would save one months insurance premiums.  Flunked the EKG which lead to more tests which lead to a cardiologist which lead to a heart cath.  Next was the surgeon who replaced a valve robotically.  Almost 9 years later I'm in great health with no major problems.  I did have some chest pain but chose to think it was not an issue.  Folks pay attention to your body and take care of yourself.  I have a bad valve and an enlarged heart which was causing me to have chest pain.  I was right on the cusp of having congestive heart failure but fortunately found and fixed the valve just in time.  My surgeon tells me my heart remodeled and has become a more normal size and everything is good - for someone as old as I am LOL.  

A few day after flunking the EKG I got permission to get a new bike so took quick advantage and bought a new 2012 CBR600RR. 

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

Dont rely on voltage test only. The stator wiring needs to be check using continunity testing.

You can have a system that charges  but the stator can have issues that will drain the battery.

FWIW…..I never use a hose to wash my bike. I use a spray bottle only and lots micro fiber towels and or paper depending on how dirty. Less mess, less wasted water, better control of where water goes. 

In the past once, I used  the lock function on the switch……the only thing was I went past lock to P ….park …which turned on my tail light. 

Just a bit of advice if ya ever use the lock feature of the switch.

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks for everyone's comments - I do have a multimeter and will be checking more of the items mentioned once I get time, plus going through the service manual. 

I checked the battery, and it has a manufactured date of 200328, which I assume to be 3/28/2020, so not too old. However, the "lid" of it seems to be swelled/lifted up in one corner a bit, so perhaps that is of concern. It read 12.72 volts on the meter when it wasn't hooked up to the bike. 

My genius self didn't realize the battery sat in the battery tray sideways, so when I put it back in this morning to check the voltage when the bike was running, I installed it the wrong way and hooked it up backwards... 🙄 

It blew the 50A main fuse and 7.5A fuse - I have already ordered replacements. I won't make that mistake again, it seems I am not the first to learn that the hard way. 

• Supporting Member

A 6 month battery (since installed) gone kaput... I think the dealer should be replacing it for free or a good discount. Returning electronics/battery never an easy sell... but they put in a dud.

In either case, hope the replacement works well for you. Kinda makes me think of replacing mine before it finally quits... still original. 🤔

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif