Headlight Assembly problem! Help!!

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, skipperT said:

ilanr1’s offer above may be a way out, conditional on it working in your bike and being able to learn his supplied red key to your bike. then maybe you could program your keys and be good to go. However, I think you’ll need the main switch to be plugged in from The Bike that the his ECM and keys came from, to complete the programming procedure. So that may muddy the waters more as well… need some more research on this option  

This has me concerned too.

To get a 2nd hand device - I'm wondering do you actually need ALL of the parts to make it work. i.e. the ECU, the immobilizer (main switch assembly) and the keys - not just the ecu and keys that came with it??  As I say, I'm wondering, but it's looking more and more like that from the anecdotal information at hand.

If you get a brand new 'virgin' ECU then that appears to bypass all of that nonesense as you can bend it to your will according to the service manual procedure.  On that subject it would have been nice for the service manual to state that you must use a 'fresh' ECU for the red key process to work.

This is like a never-ending roller coaster ride.  One problem resolved and another one pops up to cloud the next step.

• Like 1

@cantin there you go. Replace all and it should work. Use old key for your fuel tank and seat lock. 

@dazzler24the service manual assumes NEW components, I think that is where the trouble lies.  Even if we had the red key (which is what the purchased used ECM “knows” or has been taught previously) we still have a main switch that recognizes cantin’s original red key. So for re-training purposes it still might require that matching main switch to be plugged in temporarily for relearn. 

this is what makes immobilizer systems such a pain in the ass. 

there are hacks out there in the sport bike world, I don’t know which ones work and research would be required. People run into this all the time when converting wrecked/stolen bikes into track bikes. 

if you follow Yamahas chart and assume new components, then the repair process should go smoothly. 

-S

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, ilanr1 said:

This is the ECU + main switch for sell.

20220224_090338.jpg

20220224_090343.jpg

Perfect! All included.

9 hours ago, skipperT said:

@dazzler24the service manual assumes NEW components, I think that is where the trouble lies.  Even if we had the red key (which is what the purchased used ECM “knows” or has been taught previously) we still have a main switch that recognizes cantin’s original red key. So for re-training purposes it still might require that matching main switch to be plugged in temporarily for relearn. 

there are hacks out there in the sport bike world, I don’t know which ones work and research would be required. People run into this all the time when converting wrecked/stolen bikes into track bikes. 

if you follow Yamahas chart and assume new components, then the repair process should go smoothly. 

-S

Thanks skip.  That all makes sense.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 3:53 PM, skipperT said:

@cantin there you go. Replace all and it should work. Use old key for your fuel tank and seat lock. 

-S

It is finally concluded, ecu, main switch, tank lock, seat lock all installed. Took it for a night ride and it was singing.

Encountered some fun things along the way for instance, taking out some bolts that didn't have any attachment, therefor having to drill them out and use some stud removers and some elbow grease. but in the end I feel like I know the majority of the front of this bike now. So it was a learning experience and fun to tinker, but hopefully it stays together and I can enjoy some serious miles this season.  

• Thumbsup 2

Glad it’s fixed!

As an aside, we should bookmark this thread to point out to anyone who asks in this forum:

“does anyone know how I can get my (*insert accessory here*) to turn on or off with the headlights?”

🙄

-S

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 2