okey dokey let's talk tires...

Larz

• Supporting Member

Nothing sketchy about this method, right?  😀

IMG_7810.thumb.jpeg.c0624b7147f66c1e6e3b41e1ebc16876.jpeg

New Road 5s mounted, and enough of a shakedown ride to make sure the ABS light is out and everything feels good.   More ‘testing’ to follow… 

I got about 6,800 miles out of the Dunlop RS III, and honestly wasn’t really a fan.  Glad to have Michelins back on the FJ… 

IMG_7821.thumb.jpeg.c787757b8291d4aa6855143423bfd1b7.jpeg

(Yes, my ‘shop’ has become ‘overflow storage’ it seems.  That’s gotta get corrected…) 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member

@Ride365 - I’ll be interested in hearing your opinion of the RS3…. I never really bonded with the feedback from the front, and never quite found the setup that made it work FOR ME as well as the Michelins.   Finding a pair of Road 5s for $320 made it an easy decision for me to swap back.   I guess I’m just a Michelin guy… 🤷‍♂️

Here is some specific feedback on my comparison of the two:  

• Thumbsup 2

• 5 months later...

Put my first 600 miles on my GT+ and had to chime in on the stock Bridgestones. Not a Big Fan of em.

Not confidence inspiring when going into a long sweeper. Bike tends to want to fall into lean quickly and then you must correct to avoid crossing the double yellow. I'm used to Michelin or Pirelli and think I will change out tires when I get $$$ again.

In the meantime I dropped the pressure in the front 3lbs and its much more of joy to take on the twisties.

cheers,

Jen

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, motochick said:

Put my first 600 miles on my GT+ and had to chime in on the stock Bridgestones. Not a Big Fan of em.

Not confidence inspiring when going into a long sweeper. Bike tends to want to fall into lean quickly and then you must correct to avoid crossing the double yellow. I'm used to Michelin or Pirelli and think I will change out tires when I get $$$ again.

In the meantime I dropped the pressure in the front 3lbs and its much more of joy to take on the twisties.

cheers,

Jen

Congrats on your new Wheels

The bridgez you don't like are the 32s the t-32s?

Regardless they can be different from the two other brands you quoted

I'd suggest if you have room to drop the rear and lower the pressure in the rear if necessary before the front going below 32 if you want any mileage anyway

😁

Not sure on the later models, but my 15 turned out to be very sensitive to tyre choice more than pressure. 

I bought it with the original tyres (bike only had 7000km on it) and absolutely hated them. 

Replaced them with my favourite tyre which I had been using for a few years, the Rosso III’s. it was still crap even though I’ve loved these tyres on my past 2 bikes (VFR800 and 1050 Sprint).

Decided to replace all the suspension as stock was dreadful thinking that was the cause, but they still felt crap on the Tracer. 

After 2 sets of Rosso’s and 1 set of 01 SE’s (better but not great) I swapped to Road 6. What a difference. 

The feed back from the front is now good (not perfect as I think the Tracer doesn’t place enough weight on the front), turn in and corner hold is excellent, they’re heavier to direction change but in a good way. As a bonus they’re also not bad on dirt roads  

I will be sticking with these for a while I think. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, OZVFR said:

I swapped to Road 6. What a difference. 

Plus 1 on that score for me too.  Really feel comfortable with the Road 6s.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Plus 1 on that score for me too.  Really feel comfortable with the Road 6s.

Are the 5's near as good as the 6?  I have a fresh set of 5 waiting for the current T32 to evaporate.  Should of happened 3/4 way thru last season as usual but for my reduced mileage due to reasons covered during it.

I have a set of RS3 in attic stock too, so I'm set for the next two seasons.  A fresh pair of S22 black buns are also anxious to get on the VTR but the current set are wearing almost as well as the T32.  Now the new S23 that are making a big splash...

On 8/20/2023 at 1:18 PM, texscottyd said:

@Ride365 - I’ll be interested in hearing your opinion of the RS3…. I never really bonded with the feedback from the front, and never quite found the setup that made it work FOR ME as well as the Michelins.   Finding a pair of Road 5s for $320 made it an easy decision for me to swap back.   I guess I’m just a Michelin guy… 🤷‍♂️

Here is some specific feedback on my comparison of the two:  

I am very much happy with the RS3's, think they are gonna be my go to tire for the time being. :) 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Are the 5's near as good as the 6?  I have a fresh set of 5 waiting for the current T32 to evaporate.  Should of happened 3/4 way thru last season as usual but for my reduced mileage due to reasons covered during it.

I have a set of RS3 in attic stock too, so I'm set for the next two seasons.  A fresh pair of S22 black buns are also anxious to get on the VTR but the current set are wearing almost as well as the T32.  Now the new S23 that are making a big splash...

My previous set were 5s and I was very happy with them as well (except for front tyre wear) and in fact was going to get another set when they were due to be refreshed.  The 6s were brought to my attention at the time with a 'promise' that the front wear pattern was addressed and that was the only reason I changed 'up'.

The difference is that the 6s now have the 2CT+ construction on the front as well as the rear where the 5 fronts didn't.

My 5 front didn't wear all that well on the sides and so far the 6 front is looking a lot better so I'm hoping/assuming that the different construction is making the difference.

20230321_153053.thumb.jpg.accea4fea82f4f52dd5ae981d04aaac1.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.955d823d4061f4cbdba21f9c893b361f.jpeg

Here's a quote from motorcycle.com that summarises the difference: -

"Riders who are familiar with the Road 5s, will remember that the front tire used Michelin's 2CT carcass structure on the front and the 2CT+ on the rear. With the Road 6s, the front now receives the 2CT+ treatment, meaning that the firmer center tire compound now extends under the softer compound used on the sides."

• Premium Member

Wow D-Man!

Is it your blistering hot (literally + pun) tarmac and/or you pushing to the edge?

Are you an old speed demon?

I thought you said you were slowing down despite flirting more with the rev limiter?

I'm not too worried about duplicating your polymer wear.

I'm too timid due to my condition.

I often catch myself riding like it's raining!

I like to think I'm just super smooth. 😂

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Wow D-Man!

Is it your blistering hot (literally + pun) tarmac and/or you pushing to the edge?

Are you an old speed demon?

I thought you said you were slowing down despite flirting more with the rev limiter?

I'm not too worried about duplicating your polymer wear.

I'm too timid due to my condition.

I often catch myself riding like it's raining!

I like to think I'm just super smooth. 😂

Ha!  Am I an old speed demon?   👴🏍️ 😈 Well, I'm old! - don't know about the rest of the description though. 🤣

Nah, there's lots of hills and twisty bits around here and I seek them out on almost every occasion that I go for an outing and chase the edge (of my ability) without being too crazy.  I do like the stickiness of the Michys and the confidence they inspire in a lean though - if that 'counts' for anything. 😉

And yes I have, on occasions, been pushing the revs into the upper quadrant but that's only to ...ahem.. keep the innards clear of any carbon buildup.  It does, however, have the side effect of putting a silly grin on my face and sometimes causes me to laugh like a giddy teenager as I hang on to the grips while I feel my shoulder sockets trying to release my arms from their embrace, all while being serenaded by that beautiful induction roar!  Wooh-hoo! 😁 

.....for some reason I suddenly feel like going for a ride to clean out some more carbon!

Here's my Road 6s after ~4K kms. Love them.

image.png.c85d06a88bbdb6137f0f7bac3c69537b.png

image.png.63eb4efa4449e5b610f7fe3b9b75ddb5.png

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Ha!  Am I an old speed demon?   👴🏍️ 😈 Well, I'm old! - don't know about the rest of the description though. 🤣

And yes I have, on occasions, been pushing the revs into the upper quadrant but that's only to ...ahem.. keep the innards clear of any carbon buildup.  It does, however, have the side effect of putting a silly grin on my face and sometimes causes me to laugh like a giddy teenager as I hang on to the grips while I feel my shoulder sockets trying to release my arms from their embrace, all while being serenaded by that beautiful induction roar!  Wooh-hoo! 😁

I couldn't have said it any better myself.  I feel like that every time I am out on the FJ and pick up the pace in the twisties. 😎

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I changed from the T32s to Michelin Road 6 in the rear and Michelin Power 5 on the front due to an ordering error.  Rode from Chicago to the Blue Ridge and they seemed to work well in the Twisties of Tennessee and N Carolina. 

• Thumbsup 2