okey dokey let's talk tires...

Larz

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Bill H said:

wow cant believe how bad that front looks after 5k miles mmi usually get tow to one on the front and they have never looked as bad even after 10K miles 

I just got a set that are going on next and I hope they last ten thousand miles!

• Supporting Member
On 5/29/2023 at 11:59 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

I just got a set that are going on next and I hope they last ten thousand miles!

Best of luck to you, personally I have never made it to 10k on a rear tire of any brand on any bike.  I made it to 12k on a front tire once but it was well out of round and the handling was terrible.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

Best of luck to you, personally I have never made it to 10k on a rear tire of any brand on any bike.  I made it to 12k on a front tire once but it was well out of round and the handling was terrible.

Heheh ... I have ... more than once on the RS. Front tire just over 11k miles. Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I passed on the Road5s or 6s or whatever they are up to I understand they are like the best rain tires but for sport riding I have read they can let go all at once if ridden to extremes ....that scared me away from em because I DO ride hard I try to anyway ...so I went with Dunolp Road Smart 4 they are very confidence inspiring though I think the OE Bridgestones were also...but the OE lasted only 2500miles to the wear bar as opposed to the Dunlops lasting 3200 miles (the rears to the wear bars but the fronts were not far behind honestly)  Note others get 10k i knoe but they likely dont have 30 miles of righteous canyon in their backyard like I DO   In fact I love riding the twisties so much I think I am going to add an MT09SP to the stable and use the Tracer for my all day touring rides I like to do with pals (typically maybe 250 miles etc)....then I can justify putting trackday type tires on the MT! (either S22 or Q5 likely) and finally perhaps expect much better longevity from roadsmarts on tracer!  At this point if I ever get 5k miles I will be overjoyed!  But tire longevity is not the real reason I want the MT09SP ...its the fact it is SEVENTY POUNDS lighter a motorcycle!  I expect it will be a total hoot compared to porky big red 2022 Tracer 9gt ...which I do dearly love but have a hard time staying with sport bikes in the tight twisties...I dont care about beating anyone I would just like to stay with em better!  Not that I'll ever bother trying with the total phycho knee draggers  lol....just saying

Edited by dougiequick

• Premium Member

I just put another set of T32 on my not so fastest but well set up red 15 with this pilot aboard.

I got just under eight k on the prior set of T32

I have fresh S22 on the VTR and they're nice.

So besides the PR4. I have a fresh set of RS3.

So next set on the FJ certainly not Bridgestone, which have done a yoemans job over 3 sets.

When they're done, And I certainly won't let them get as bad as they were when I just changed them because I have 2  freshly baked buns as mentioned above to choose from and my NoMar is finely a semi-snap to set up again. 

20230517_202158.jpg

• Premium Member
On 3/14/2023 at 12:50 PM, pgeldz said:

I just put a set of Dunlop Road smart 4's and LOVE them!!! Plenty of stick...

I liked my Roadsmart 4s, but I do a lot of commuting. I get almost 9k miles put of Roadsmart 3s compared to just over 6k miles out of the rear 4 I rode. Thinking about Mutants for the maybe 5%-10% gravel my fun rides always seem to include but they probably won't get the mileage of the 3s. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, 1moreroad said:

Thinking about Mutants for the maybe 5%-10% gravel my fun rides always seem to include but they probably won't get the mileage of the 3s. 

They did not on a friend's RS. He was not overly impressed by them either ... they were OK but not as good for him as the RoadSmart 3 or RoadSmart 4.

• Thanks 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

larolco put a set of Mutants last fall.  I'd bet he's got some input to offer.

Edited by Heavy

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Supporting Member

Ordered a pair of Michelin road 6's today. £314.👍 Cheapest I could find.  Got 7500 miles out of the OEM T32's

• Thumbsup 1

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

3 hours ago, Kenny A. said:

Ordered a pair of Michelin road 6's today. £314.👍 Cheapest I could find.  Got 7500 miles out of the OEM T32's

Dang I can't get under 400 usd for road 6. Best I've found is 320 for road 5's with the rebate.

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Dang I can't get under 400 usd for road 6. Best I've found is 320 for road 5's with the rebate.

Prices of road 6's in the U.K. vary from £314 to over £450. 🤔🤔

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

32 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Rear you can go either way, but I'd STRONGLY recommend the Road 6 front over the Road 5 front.  

Bahhh don't tell me these things, ignorance is bliss. Still sticking with 5's because I'm mildly cheap.

• Thumbsup 1

A couple of things to think about when shopping for tires. Reviews on tires on similar bikes and similar riding styles.

Where you live. If you are never going to see wet weather, lots of siping on your tires won't make much difference.

Compounds - 2CT is better than one for most users.

Flat repair. This one can be overlooked easily.

Michelin allows you to patch a tire from the inside as long as it is within the first 3 inches of the center line using their recommended patch type.

Many other manufacturers won't allow you to patch a tire and a replacement is mandatory

• Thumbsup 1