FJ-09 flash is ready! *Updated*

Would love to have this done, but I can't have my bike out of commission for as long as it would take to send my ECU from Japan to the US and wait for it to be returned. I'll have to source a new ECU (yikes that price) and send it instead.
lucky for you FT has a few vendors in Japan (and elsewhere, for those outside of the US): 

https://ftecu.com/flash-tune-dealers/

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
For someone looking more for throttle smoothness and performance vs. just being louder, would you recommend doing the Flash first and testing the results before doing the exhaust upgrade? Benefit of doing both at once would be saving a round trip on the reflash later.

Also is it possible to buy the map directly and flash myself using the FlashTune kit? Seems easier to ship a file across the internet than an ECU across the country.

Took me a while to find the actual shop in Japan, but I was successful with that hint. Thanks!
not all flashes are the same, keep that in mind. however i hope it works out for you! give us some feedback about your experience and how the bike performs afterwards! 

For someone looking more for throttle smoothness and performance vs. just being louder, would you recommend doing the Flash first and testing the results before doing the exhaust upgrade? Benefit of doing both at once would be saving a round trip on the reflash later.  
Also is it possible to buy the map directly and flash myself using the FlashTune kit? Seems easier to ship a file across the internet than an ECU across the country.
Doing a stock flash first would be a great way to start off. As always, all reflashes are free in the future so if you upgrade your exhaust down the road, we just reflash it for the new exhaust. USPS 2 day priority flat rate box is only $6.95 so shipping isn't gonna set you back much if you're in the states. 
Also no it is not possible, we do not send flash files to anyone, there are many issues behind why we don't do that. While it may seem easier, it's not doable. People steal the file, sell it as their own, etc etc and we've already caught multiple ecu flashing shops including big name ones that have stolen our flashes for other bikes as well. 

• 1 month later...
Dear 2wheeldynoworks! Is there any other way to get your flash not in US? Any European representatives?
at this time, we have no vendors outside of the USA, or at all for that matter. we've tried with a few shops before and has unfortunately ended up being shut down due to unfortunate circumstances of people stealing our flashes/software and or changing the flash and still putting our name on it, or selling it under their own name etc etc...

@2wheeldynoworks I am going to modify my stock exhaust as seen in this thread. ( fj-09.org/thread/556/inside-fj-muffler )

Do you think I should do a stock flash, should it be flashed more like a slip-on, or do I need to take it to a dyno to know?

http://i65.tinypic.com/6ozec5.jpg

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

@2wheeldynoworks I am going to modify my stock exhaust as seen in this thread. ( fj-09.org/thread/556/inside-fj-muffler ) 
Do you think I should do a stock flash, should it be flashed more like a slip-on, or do I need to take it to a dyno to know?

http://i65.tinypic.com/6ozec5.jpg
I would probably flash it with a mid pipe flash and have you put it on the dyno and see how it does. Since it's not exactly a straight through midpipe, it'd be something i'd want to put on the dyno to get the best results with but it's something we can probably get pretty close for ya.   

• 2 weeks later...
http://i.imgur.com/zfYFtA7.jpg 
During the tuning, Nels noticed the power was a little low at first. And the AF ratio was a little rich. Since we had the tank loose, it was sitting on top of the airbox intake. There is a piece of foam glued under the tank that was restricting the air inlet when the tank was sitting lower. We put a few bolts back in the tank, which raised it up, but decided to remove the foam just in case. That little piece of foam netted 3-4 hp and the air fuel ratio was perfect after taking it out. Just something to think about if you are pulling your ECU out for tuning anyway

Should this foam be removed even if I'm not gonna have my ECU tuned (yet)?

http://i.imgur.com/zfYFtA7.jpg 
During the tuning, Nels noticed the power was a little low at first. And the AF ratio was a little rich. Since we had the tank loose, it was sitting on top of the airbox intake. There is a piece of foam glued under the tank that was restricting the air inlet when the tank was sitting lower. We put a few bolts back in the tank, which raised it up, but decided to remove the foam just in case. That little piece of foam netted 3-4 hp and the air fuel ratio was perfect after taking it out. Just something to think about if you are pulling your ECU out for tuning anyway
Should this foam be removed even if I'm not gonna have my ECU tuned (yet)?
Without the changes the ECU flash makes, your bike won't be able to accommodate for the changes to get a gain from it. 

• Premium Member
?? What was the piece of foam for? Could it just be modified so as not to block the air intake and put back on?

Most confusing to me...

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
?? What was the piece of foam for? Could it just be modified so as not to block the air intake and put back on?  
Most confusing to me...

It's on the bottom side of the tank,  between that and the airbox.  Removed mine 18 months ago. Certainly no ill effects and HP gains to boot! At one time it was speculated to be for noise reduction.
Detailed instructions here: http://fj-09.org/post/12638/thread
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Most confusing to me...

Brick,

Have you had your FJ flashed yet?  Thinking about having mine done & removing the foam, too. No mods to the exhaust, for now.

• Premium Member
Most confusing to me...

Brick, 
Have you had your FJ flashed yet?  Thinking about having mine done & removing the foam, too. No mods to the exhaust, for now.

No I have not had the ECU flashed. So far didn't think I needed it.
However I had it done on my Super Tenere and it was an amazing change.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Archived