FJ-09 flash is ready! *Updated*

Lots of good feedback in this thread, but not many recent updates.. 
Any major (or minor) changes to this tune?

I'm thinking of getting the tune BEFORE adding an Akro exhaust. (Because I've been spending money like crazy upgrading so many aspects of the bike!)

Also, I've heard about factory ECU upgrades; I have a new 2015 model that sat for nearly 2 years in the crate. I don't it's had anything factory done to it (reflashed-recalls wise) except that recent recall about the handlebar riser things.

Anyways, just​ to confirm, this tune won't void the warranty? I read somewhere that if something goes bad wrong with the engine under warranty even the dealer won't see it's been reflashed-...?

Does this flash disable the AIS/PAIR system, and doesn't require blanking plates? Can I get blanking plates anyways just to make it all nice and neat (is there any benefit to disable AIS and adding blank offs)?

Any benefit of syncing the throttle bodies when getting this tune?

Thanks!

Call 2 wheel dyno works for answers to your particular questions. (425) 269-5332 We are just forum members, don't take our word for it.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
I've been in email correspondence with Nels. He was very professional and quick to reply. I plan on having him reflash my ecu.  

Does having the fuel cut on decel turned off have any effect on engine braking??
Just got the ECU back and went for a short ride. It is a much smoother bike. The throttle is butter now, and the power feels much more predictable. Having the AIS and fuel cut disabled smooths out the decel.  It took a little getting used to because it doesn't engine brake as hard as it did, but it's a smoother brake.  Before I felt like there where little surges with hard braking, but now no more.  Besides Keith Code says brake pads are cheap, engines are expensive.  If you're looking to engine brake down a long mountain pass you won't notice a huge difference.  If you're engine braking up to a stop light .... eeeehhhh, maybe use the brakes.

Slow speed is much easier with the new throttle map, and hard acceleration has a new life.

Just got the ECU back and went for a short ride. It is a much smoother bike. The throttle is butter now, and the power feels much more predictable. Having the AIS and fuel cut disabled smooths out the decel.  It took a little getting used to because it doesn't engine brake as hard as it did, but it's a smoother brake.  Before I felt like there where little surges with hard braking, but now no more.  Besides Keith Code says brake pads are cheap, engines are expensive.  If you're looking to engine brake down a long mountain pass you won't notice a huge difference.  If you're engine braking up to a stop light .... eeeehhhh, maybe use the brakes. 
Slow speed is much easier with the new throttle map, and hard acceleration has a new life.

Huh, I didn't consider that pulsing under hard braking was fueling. I kind of figured it was the ABS being weird. Since I've never had another bike with ABS, I wouldn't know the difference. Yet another reason I need to save some pennies and get my ECU reflashed. 

'15 FJ09

• 4 weeks later...
I've now spoken with Nels, Jared, and Derek. All are awesome guys. My ECU should be there today. So excited to get this thing flashed.

Pro tip if you're impatient like me and want it there fast... - wrap up the ecu and put it in a small flat rate box. Then put the entire box in a priority mail express padded flat rate envelope. Flat rate to overnight it. I'm in KY right now, it wasn't all that much more to just overnight it.

...wrap up the ecu and put it in a small flat rate box. Then put the entire box in a priority mail express padded flat rate envelope. Flat rate to overnight it...

I did the same exact thing when I sent my ECU off.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I heard that with the 2017 ECU you can no longer change all the same settings as the older models. For example you can no longer disable the AIS via flash. Anyone have any insight into this?
Call 2 Wheel Dyno Works.  (425) 269-5332.  Great bunch of guys and a wealth of knowledge, they will surely be able to answer all of your questions.      

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Referencing this video -
That's interesting, it seems like a lot of little changes were made inside the ECU for 2017. I dont think you can get into the DIAG mode on the dash on the 2017 models either.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I guess that's good and bad for '17 owners... sucks if you bought this bike to take to track days since you won't be able to disable the emissions controls with a flash, but good because you are getting a good fuel map and power output from the stock setup.

Also kinda cool to see the guy who flashed my ECU in action.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Well dang I was all hype to get my bike flashed but it seems like it's pointless.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

Actually I realized that I have a california model so it probably is worth?
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

Archived