FJ-09 flash is ready! *Updated*

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I don't think I can really add much, but I just want to agree with everyone's experience. Nels and Pat were great to work with! This is my first bike and they were patient with my questions and more than happy to talk with me.

I got my ECU back yesterday and put in a short ride. Also rode to the motorcycle accessory store today. I haven't done any longer, out in the country rides yet to really see how things feel, but based on the couple rides I've done, the bike feels MUCH better. The biggest reason I wanted this flash was for the abruptness of the throttle and how the bike felt under light throttle on rough roads. The throttle is MUCH more predictable and the bike is so much more of a joy to ride!

I was in to see Nels yesterday with my FJ and full Arrow Thunder exhaust.

Took a while to get to me, because he's a popular guy (for obvious reasons), but once my bike was up it was a great session and Nels refused to quit until he nailed the tune. I was torn about whether or not to run baffle in or out. Baffle out is the best performance but has this loud low end drone that gives you a headache in your helmet. Baffle in runs basically like stock, but has a sound that's much easier to tolerate (not too aggressive though).

He hasn't had someone tell him he could mod an Arrow baffle before, but since I made the trek from Canada and couldn't drive back and forth, I let him do whatever he wanted so we could get it right in one trip. He cut it once and saw a 10% loss in power from baffle out. He cut it again, and the only part left was just the ring that narrows the end of the exhaust. The whole rest of the baffle pipe was gone. He put it on the dyno and saw a 5% loss of power, but let out a determined "I can fix it!" Two more tweaks to the ECU later and he did a fist pump because he actually managed to beat the baffle out performance!

The new modded baffle cuts out that low end painful noise but makes the exhaust sound angry. It's like it passes other vehicles with a vengeance now. It's now just resting on the the threshold of too loud and perfect. Final total was 112hp and 62tq. It was a super hot day, and he thinks that might be why it didn't hit the 115hp of most of the other exhausts he's tested. Because of the experimenting, he's now got a tune for a cut down Arrow baffle that will give you baffle out performance (in case anyone's interested). Here's the before and after baffle: http://imgur.com/og24eHh

As for the tune, I wouldn't say that on/off throttle feel is completely eliminated, so don't expect that, but it's way better and easier to control with minor skill on the throttle hand. 'A' mode throttle now feels more like standard mode throttle, but with the power of A+ mode. The bike flew before and now it soars. This is the FJ to its full potential indeed. Unfortunately, due to a major accident on the I-5, my attention was on frantically trying to find back road ways to my ferry in time to make the boat. Because of that, I couldn't focus on the bike and how the changes really feel. First impression is good though, but it doesn't make it a 'different bike' like some people say. It makes it an FJ-09.5 ;) which is good, because I love the FJ. I don't want a different bike.

The only downside from the experience is that my brother came to meet me at the shop on his Daytona and we swapped bikes for a bit. Now I want the quick shifter and a suspension upgrade too! Dammit. Have to spread the costs out though... In time. In time. But it was pretty fun to hear my super sport riding brother say "uh, yeah. Your bikes got a lot more power than mine".

Thanks for taking all that extra time Nels ( @2wheeldynoworks ) !! Maybe see you again if I'm back that way in the future.

Here's an Instagram link to my bike on the Dyno. First run, not the final one:

https://instagram.com/p/5SyZYai56_/

Guest fzrcraig
I love the technology and the kit looks like excellent quality, but what does a quick shift do for a sport touring bike? I'm not slagging it, I'm just curious.

I love the technology and the kit looks like excellent quality, but what does a quick shift do for a sport touring bike? I'm not slagging it, I'm just curious.
What does a fart machine do to a 7 year old? He can live without it, but every time he uses it he giggles and smiles. 

What does a fart machine do to a 7 year old? He can live without it, but every time he uses it he giggles and smiles. 
The perfect analogy. Love it!

Archived