FJ-09 flash is ready! *Updated*

• Premium Member
Nels -

I'm definitely planning on getting the reflash!  I should be sending you my ECU by the end of this week!  Right now my bike is totally stock, but I am open to changing the exhaust system in the future (and appreciate the free re-reflash option you offer).  I have a question regarding the available exhaust systems for the FJ-09.

In the testing you have done with various brands of exhaust systems for the FJ-09, do you have any comments regarding which systems gave the best results? 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As of right now Akro carbon 114hp is best for the money, akro ti 114hp is the best with a baffle in, have not tried graves but a customer just bought and installed one this week so we should have a custom tune for the full graves within the next week. Yosh was highest so far hp 116

Hello Nels,

Well the testimonials are endless and it looks as if you will go down as a tuning legend.

I went out and bought some tools in order to take my bike apart so I have made the commitment to flash my ECU. I just have a couple questions though. I do sincerely appreciate your time by the way.

What advantage does removing fuel cut on deceleration have? Don't you need back pressure to slow down? I am new to this stuff please forgive me.

If I plan to get an aftermarket exhaust like the Akro or Two Bros full do I have to reflash since it's already been flashed as to not to need block off plates?

I love this bike and have a hard time waiting to ride it. I ride everyday. Do you have other options such as I pay UPS ND to and from your shop? Just a thought.

Nels thank you again for your time and I look forward to doing business with you. Chris

What advantage does removing fuel cut on deceleration have? Don't you need back pressure to slow down? I am new to this stuff please forgive me. 

Coming from 2-strokes, the worst thing about 4-strokes is excessive engine braking. The flash makes the engine braking more like what you would expect in a car. The lack of slipper clutch makes it particularly noticeable on this bike. At first, due to my inexperience with a non-slipper on the street, with every downshift, the rear wheel would lose traction, make noise and smoke, and leave nice black marks on the pavement. I learned to raise engine rpm with the throttle during each downshift. With the flash, it is much less critical and my rear tire (and dampers in the drivetrain) should last a lot longer.

Nels can correct my impression, but it seems like there is a time component now, when you close the throttle, the engine slows very gradually at first, then the longer the throttle is closed, the more engine braking you get. It's like magic now.

Some folks love engine braking, just not me. The flash makes it behave in a way I can predict and still don't need to use the brakes to slow given enough clear road.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

Hello Nels, 
Well the testimonials are endless and it looks as if you will go down as a tuning legend.

I went out and bought some tools in order to take my bike apart so I have made the commitment to flash my ECU. I just have a couple questions though. I do sincerely appreciate your time by the way.

If I plan to get an aftermarket exhaust like the Akro or Two Bros full do I have to reflash since it's already been flashed as to not to need block off plates?

I love this bike and have a hard time waiting to ride it. I ride everyday. Do you have other options such as I pay UPS ND to and from your shop? Just a thought.

Nels thank you again for your time and I look forward to doing business with you. Chris

You don't need tools. Everything you need to get to the ECU (an Allen key) is under the seat :)

Thanks mjsracing! I appreciate the explanation. I can see how the suspension predictability among other things would improve if your not being forced around by engine braking. The way it is now you really learn how to be delicate with the wrist. I got myself into a whiskey throttle situation at an intersection with a lot of bumps that I didn't see. I felt like such an idiot!!!

Thanks FigJam-OhNine - I just like to buy new stuff....tools particularly :-)

Thanks mjsracing! I appreciate the explanation. I can see how the suspension predictability among other things would improve if your not being forced around by engine braking. The way it is now you really learn how to be delicate with the wrist. I got myself into a whiskey throttle situation at an intersection with a lot of bumps that I didn't see. I felt like such an idiot!!! 
Hey, no judgements here ;)

Hello Nels, 

Reducing the engine braking creates smoother off throttle transitions, when shifting, decelerating, or just cruising on the freeway. Next day shipping is absolutely an option, it will cost a little more though. When changing exhausts, a reflash is required, just like a fuel tune, to adjust to the new hardware, as it changes enough to merit performance loss if not. It will not be as bad as without a flash, but it will not be optimized to the setup.  

there's nothing wrong with that! who doesn't like buying new tools? i do! and while throttle control is always a skill that can be improved upon, having the bike cooperate with the rear tire directly linked to your wrist helps quite a bit, instead of having it hindered by an untuned bike

I looked over the list of things done on a flash and had a question. The speed limiter is obvious and I have run into it at the Weds night drags, but looking at the bike on the dyno with a Power Commander 5( got it before the flash was available) I see the bike dial back the throttle position from 100% as it approaches redline. Is this done away with as well, as I am sure this will be slowing me down at the drags if I cannot get 100% throttle to redline. IIRC I have seen some R-6s do this too. Thanks, Jim.

I looked over the list of things done on a flash and had a question. The speed limiter is obvious and I have run into it at the Weds night drags, but looking at the bike on the dyno with a Power Commander 5( got it before the flash was available) I see the bike dial back the throttle position from 100% as it approaches redline. Is this done away with as well, as I am sure this will be slowing me down at the drags if I cannot get 100% throttle to redline. IIRC I have seen some R-6s do this too. Thanks, Jim.

I've seen that on the dyno as well, on fz09. R1 and R6. I'm guessing that access to the fly-by-wire programming would be required.

Will it really make a difference in the bike's performance at WOT to have WOT only be 80-85% as far as the actual position of the butterflies goes?
Curious.....

-Skip

Hello Nels, 

Reducing the engine braking creates smoother off throttle transitions, when shifting, decelerating, or just cruising on the freeway. Next day shipping is absolutely an option, it will cost a little more though. When changing exhausts, a reflash is required, just like a fuel tune, to adjust to the new hardware, as it changes enough to merit performance loss if not. It will not be as bad as without a flash, but it will not be optimized to the setup.  

there's nothing wrong with that! who doesn't like buying new tools? i do! and while throttle control is always a skill that can be improved upon, having the bike cooperate with the rear tire directly linked to your wrist helps quite a bit, instead of having it hindered by an untuned bike 

Thanks Nels,

Your customer service and loyalty are bar none!

• Premium Member
I'd like to know how many of you are getting the flash done because of an aftermarket pipe installed versus others leaving the stock exhaust on and just getting the flash done

I'm getting the flash done for my totally stock bike (just sent my ECU off yesterday) . I feel the benefits are worth it for me. It's possible that I might get an aftermarket exhaust sometime in the future (perhaps in a year or so - remember free re-reflash), but even if I don't I'm ok with it.

Archived