FJ-09 flash is ready! *Updated*

Two things, tuning my bike with a PC-V because the flash was not available when I got it, running on the dyno at 100% throttle I watch the throttle position dial back at about 10,000 rpm to about 80%. Is this one of the limiters that a flash will change? 
And asked FT ECU about  quickshifter and they say it is available for the FJ.

If you do get the ECU done just "ZERO" out the map on the PCV. That's what I did :)..... I may just take the PCV off or add a auto-tune to it later. 
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My FJ-09 Has saddle bags & it does become unstable over 100.. Just a little speed wobble,, not too bad... mine is limited to 115 mph;; ok except im taking it to a track day friday with a 3,200 ft front straight...... $ 350 to get rid of the speed limiter;; not for me...i rather put a 4th set of tires on it after friday at the track... it has 3,400 miles

Mike, I just did a quick ride after having my ecu flashed. If your local your welcome to try mine out. This is a great improvement for track days. Much smoother throttle response, much less engine braking, less suspension movement. Nels did a great job. This flash is better than the flash I had done from another company on my tenere. I also plan to make my bike a track day bike. I recommend this flash. I have Andreani fork cartridge kit coming and waiting on Ohlins shock.

I'm no expert but since it's rather unusual to have such a relatively low top speed limited by the manufacturer, has anybody considered that the bike might not be very stable at speeds higher than that?  Or that the speed might be limited for some other very good reason?  I did see a video somewhere on this site where an FJ-09 developed a little wobble at speed (wound out in second if I remember the video correctly, but I could be wrong and that wouldn't put it anywhere near the 118 or 119 limit).  Anyway, I'm just thinkin' out loud.... 
There is no limiter on UK bikes. Go figure whether Yamaha made this decision based on safety or the litigious nature of the US consumer. 
Go read a few of the posts made in other threads by UK riders
I actually watched a video on youtube of a guy who emailed back yamaha about this limiter and they simply had no answer for the guy on why they put this limiter on this bike, seems as though wessie has the right idea with yamaha simply trying to make us a little more calm in the states with this bike! I have a feeling in years to come it will be removed simply due to the complaints of this years. Easy fix and should be cheaper for yamaha. 

My FJ-09 Has saddle bags & it does become unstable over 100.. Just a little speed wobble,, not too bad... mine is limited to 115 mph;; ok except im taking it to a track day friday with a 3,200 ft front straight...... $ 350 to get rid of the speed limiter;; not for me...i rather put a 4th set of tires on it after friday at the track... it has 3,400 miles
 It's $350 for that and 20 other things, getting your bike to run properly in a way that you'll never get from any other avenue. Getting your bike running smoothly is just one of the basics any and all bikes need upgraded, especially at the track. Suspension, tune, tires and time are your biggest 4 assets when riding at the track.

• Premium Member
Mike, I just did a quick ride after having my ecu flashed. If your local your welcome to try mine out. This is a great improvement for track days. Much smoother throttle response, much less engine braking, less suspension movement. Nels did a great job. This flash is better than the flash I had done from another company on my tenere. I also plan to make my bike a track day bike. I recommend this flash. I have Andreani fork cartridge kit coming and waiting on Ohlins shock.
What a coincidence that you mention that: 
The following shipment is being sent by Annalisa Scognamiglio from Omnia Racing srl via DHL Express on 28.05.2015 (WB# @@@@@@).
If you wish to track this shipment, please visit the DHL website at http://www.dhl.it/ or contact your local DHL Customer Service office.
clap_zpsdyza0r53.gif

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Hi Guys, 

Last week I traded in an FJR for an FJ-09. While overall I like the FJ much much better, the fueling is no where near as sweet as the FJR. My question for Nels or those folks that have had the flash, why does it appear that is was so easy for a small shop to fix the FJs choppy throttle but yet Yamaha's whole team of engineers couldn't get it right two years in a row?  
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• Premium Member
the answer is already in this and other threads in the forum: Nels does not have to meet emissions and noise standards set by bureaucrats on several government committees around the globe
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks, sorry I missed that part. I've been reading threads for hours. So far I'm smitten with my new choice. 
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

the answer is already in this and other threads in the forum: Nels does not have to meet emissions and noise standards set by bureaucrats on several government committees around the globe
Unfortunately this affect cars and trucks as well, however people don't notice it nearly as much. I spent many years dyno tuning high horsepower cars that will even pass emissions, luckily motorcycles don't get emissions tests! 

Thanks, sorry I missed that part. I've been reading threads for hours. So far I'm smitten with my new choice. 
That happens with forums, so much stuff to read!

Alright! Paid 2 wheel dynoworks and shipped my ECU. Checked the weather and they forecast rain all week. Taking the ECU out is not bad as I thought. I would've done the throttle body adjustment myself if I knew it was this easy to disassemble the bike. I just hope the ECU flash will help me with low speed movement. So jerky!

Guest bmidd
Alright! Paid 2 wheel dynoworks and shipped my ECU. Checked the weather and they forecast rain all week. Taking the ECU out is not bad as I thought. I would've done the throttle body adjustment myself if I knew it was this easy to disassemble the bike. I just hope the ECU flash will help me with low speed movement. So jerky!
Sounds like me! I'm waiting for my next busy work period in July and I will send mine off.

Who knows the details about the air injection? It looks like this can be turned off with a flash. What are the pros and cons of having the air injection disabled?

I'm planning on keeping the stock exhaust for the life of the bike, but do plan to have the reflash done, if that makes a difference.

Will disabling air injection improve my ride in some way, or or am I just polluting more (with stock exhaust), with no gain, if I disable the air injection?

Guest dmizer
Who knows the details about the air injection? It looks like this can be turned off with a flash. What are the pros and cons of having the air injection disabled?
Air injection helps to burn off unburnt fuel in the exhaust system. There's no harm in having it enabled as it doesn't rob you of any horsepower, while helping to keep the air cleaner. Most people end up disabling it when they get a retune because a retune usually enriches the deceleration and that's where the popping comes from.

See here:

Air injection helps to burn off unburnt fuel in the exhaust system. There's no harm in having it enabled as it doesn't rob you of any horsepower, while helping to keep the air cleaner. Most people end up disabling it when they get a retune because a retune usually enriches the deceleration and that's where the popping comes from. 
See here:
So, does that mean my bike, with a stock exhaust, is going to pop MORE after the flash, because the mixture will be richer due to the flash?

Archived