FJ-09 flash is ready! *Updated*

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would be nice to control the CC using the same controls as OEM heated grips without the need to install Super Tenere left control cluster.
That would be nice! We'll have to wait and see :) It's definitely a ways out though. The nice thing is, if you get your ecu flashed now, once more options are released, we reflash the upgrades for free into your ecu for life! 

Hey Nel, can you tell me more about the Quick Shifter and the sensor and harness that is involved? 
https://ftecu.com/shop/ftecu-replacement-quickshifter-kit/  It doesn't look like they have the FJ-09 added just yet but i'm sending them an email to get more information. The FZ-09 harness may work but i don't want to recommend that without hearing from them first. 

I am new to Motorcycle riding in general (I am close to 50 and finally got that bike!). Only been riding for a year and started with a Verseys 650. Verseys is a great bike but I immediately craved more torque and horsepower (I am sure that is a natural reaction when people buy a first bike). I bought the FJ-09 this spring and absolutely love it! I am totally interested in the ECU Flash and will eventually do this. I will certainly go with Nel as he is very accommodating and you can tell he has a high skill and passion for what he does.

Sorry for babbling but my question though is during disassembly of the bike you find this foam piece under the tank. Some people recommend not replacing the foam to gain horsepower. If it is OK to leave it out why was it there in the first place and what purpose does/did it serve? Just want to know before I toss it in the trash can :-)

I am new to Motorcycle riding in general (I am close to 50 and finally got that bike!). Only been riding for a year and started with a Verseys 650. Verseys is a great bike but I immediately craved more torque and horsepower (I am sure that is a natural reaction when people buy a first bike). I bought the FJ-09 this spring and absolutely love it! I am totally interested in the ECU Flash and will eventually do this. I will certainly go with Nel as he is very accommodating and you can tell he has a high skill and passion for what he does.  
Sorry for babbling but my question though is during disassembly of the bike you find this foam piece under the tank. Some people recommend not replacing the foam to gain horsepower. If it is OK to leave it out why was it there in the first place and what purpose does/did it serve? Just want to know before I toss it in the trash can :-)
always safe to just put it in a parts box somewhere too! vibration reduction, noise reduction, i'm sure the engineers had something specific in mind but we haven't had any problems with it removed yet.  

Hey Nel, re: follow-up to quick shifter, thank you.
you're welcome

I am glad to hear about this ECU Flash. I am searching for my next motorcycle and the FJ-09 is the front runner so far. If I do buy it, I won't flash it until after the warranty expires. Definitely on my agenda.

I've gotten about 450 miles on the flashed ECU. Best upgrade I've done to the bike, by far.

[ul type=disc][*]Much reduced engine braking[*]Riding in 86F weather and the coolant temperature is in the 160-170F range while moving.[*]Can smoothly use 6th gear in A mode at 30 mph. Not necessarily a great idea, but the engine pulls strong and hard from that low a level.[*]Once the rpm is up, the bike is a total beast. Accelerating from a traffic light on a 70 mph divided highway, power wheelies (power hoppies really) in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th. I love the TC to keep my safe as I get more experience with the power.[*]Fuel economy seems unchanged to ever so slightly better.[*]B mode is awesome for town and traffic. The bike has so much power, B is fine for most "civilized" riding with traffic.[*]I have not tried STD mode. A and B seem to cover it for me so far.[/ul]
Removing the ECU is not nearly as hard as it may seem. Basic idea is to take off all the plastic connected to the tank, then take out the tank bolts and access the ECU.

A big thanks to 2WheelDynoWorks for an excellent upgrade. The ability to use a quick shifter add-on seems intriguing. I'm looking forward to the possibility of cruise control next winter.

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

I've gotten about 450 miles on the flashed ECU. Best upgrade I've done to the bike, by far.
[ul type=disc][*]Much reduced engine braking[*]Riding in 86F weather and the coolant temperature is in the 160-170F range while moving.[*]Can smoothly use 6th gear in A mode at 30 mph. Not necessarily a great idea, but the engine pulls strong and hard from that low a level.[*]Once the rpm is up, the bike is a total beast. Accelerating from a traffic light on a 70 mph divided highway, power wheelies (power hoppies really) in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th. I love the TC to keep my safe as I get more experience with the power.[*]Fuel economy seems unchanged to ever so slightly better.[*]B mode is awesome for town and traffic. The bike has so much power, B is fine for most "civilized" riding with traffic.[*]I have not tried STD mode. A and B seem to cover it for me so far.[/ul]
Removing the ECU is not nearly as hard as it may seem. Basic idea is to take off all the plastic connected to the tank, then take out the tank bolts and access the ECU.

A big thanks to 2WheelDynoWorks for an excellent upgrade. The ability to use a quick shifter add-on seems intriguing. I'm looking forward to the possibility of cruise control next winter.

So, best bang for the buck?

All truth. It is hard to describe how much better the bike behaves and performs, but we will keep trying. I follow (stalk) Nels on FB too, and he does drag bikes, track bikes, dirtbikes, sports, big cruisers, cafe hipsters, enduro etc. Making every bike you can think of run properly all day long

I am glad to hear about this ECU Flash. I am searching for my next motorcycle and the FJ-09 is the front runner so far. If I do buy it, I won't flash it until after the warranty expires. Definitely on my agenda.
:) The warranty isn't affected as an ecu flash cannot be detected by the factory without breaking your ecu into pieces, which they will not.  

Thank you for your feedback we love to hear from customers about their bikes and it's even better when it's all positive!  

All truth. It is hard to describe how much better the bike behaves and performs, but we will keep trying. I follow (stalk) Nels on FB too, and he does drag bikes, track bikes, dirtbikes, sports, big cruisers, cafe hipsters, enduro etc. Making every bike you can think of run properly all day long
:)   

Guest spunrdneck
Nel's tune won't affect the operation of the TCS but he may be able to set the default to off if anyone wanted this.
Interesting. The default TCS setting on my bike is off. I assumed it was the same for everyone.
I assume you mean the light is off by default.... "light off, TCS on- light on, TCS off " :) 

Would be nice to control the CC using the same controls as OEM heated grips without the need to install Super Tenere left control cluster.
That would be nice! We'll have to wait and see :) It's definitely a ways out though. The nice thing is, if you get your ecu flashed now, once more options are released, we reflash the upgrades for free into your ecu for life! 

Hey Nel, can you tell me more about the Quick Shifter and the sensor and harness that is involved? 
https://ftecu.com/shop/ftecu-replacement-quickshifter-kit/  It doesn't look like they have the FJ-09 added just yet but i'm sending them an email to get more information. The FZ-09 harness may work but i don't want to recommend that without hearing from them first. 
E-mailed them directly, here is the response:

"Yes It absolutely can. Thanks!

Chris Gardell
FT ECU Inc.
1010 N Batavia St STE J
Orange, CA 92867
http://www.ftecu.com
chris@ftecu.com
Phone: (888) 543-6302

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2015 8:45 PM
To: sales@ftecu.com
Subject: FJ-09

Hello,

Can the quick shifter for Yamaha FZ-09 be used with FJ-09?

Thanks,

Greg"

Has anyone installed it on an FJ-09? I will remain a bit hesitant until I hear real-life experiences from folks on this forum.

Two things, tuning my bike with a PC-V because the flash was not available when I got it, running on the dyno at 100% throttle I watch the throttle position dial back at about 10,000 rpm to about 80%. Is this one of the limiters that a flash will change?

And asked FT ECU about  quickshifter and they say it is available for the FJ.

Archived