FJ-09 flash is ready! *Updated*

• Premium Member
I had the first year, a 2002 press bike my magazine bought from Suzuki cheap.
What magazine are you with? I wrote for a regional mag out of San Francisco called Street Bike/Independent Biker in 1995-2002. I never made much money but it was great professional experience and press intros were a blast. 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I'm curious about the reduction in operating temperature. What is the justification for that? Does the high OEM temperature somehow aid emissions compliance?

No, but it's a consequence of the lean fueling required to be compliant. It's not so much a justification as an undesirable side-effect.

The harsh low-speed throttle response of the FJ-09 in some ways reminds me of the TT600. But I'm not holding my breath for free factory updates  ::)

The 2014 FZ-09 folk are eligible for ECU updates under warranty, so it's not impossible. Of course, the fueling on the FJ is not nearly so bad. I lived with similar (if not worse) on the Daytona 675.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I'm curious about the reduction in operating temperature. What is the justification for that? Does the high OEM temperature somehow aid emissions compliance?
No, but it's a consequence of the lean fueling required to be compliant. It's not so much a justification as an undesirable side-effect. 

The harsh low-speed throttle response of the FJ-09 in some ways reminds me of the TT600. But I'm not holding my breath for free factory updates  ::)
The 2014 FZ-09 folk are eligible for ECU updates under warranty, so it's not impossible. Of course, the fueling on the FJ is not nearly so bad. I lived with similar (if not worse) on the Daytona 675.
The updated factory settings are unfortunately still not very optimized, but they can't be by law anyway so while it's better than before, it's still lacking. The EPA regulations that factories are forced to meet really hurt performance on bikes.

Also just to clarify:
The update for the FZ09 folks is actually a YCC-T update.
It changes the fly by wire response, it doesn't touch the fueling.

That's one reason why the service 2wheeldynoworks performs is so conclusive and worth the money.

Skip

Also just to clarify: The update for the FZ09 folks is actually a YCC-T update.
It changes the fly by wire response, it doesn't touch the fueling.

That's one reason why the service 2wheeldynoworks performs is so conclusive and worth the money.

Skip
i can only imagine the throttle mapping is so horrid on bikes because of this, there are a variety of others who suffer from it as well and it makes no sense that the factory would design a bike to run the way they do here. 

I was wonder can this flash adjust for the type of fuel required? More succinctly, can Nel's make my bike run just as smooth on 87 octane?
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

I was wonder can this flash adjust for the type of fuel required? More succinctly, can Nel's make my bike run just as smooth on 87 octane?
I have run 87 and have not noticed any difference.  I already filled the tank, before realizing it wasn't 91.  Great question, though!

Guest dmizer
If you ride it like a police car is behind you all the time, you'll be ok with regular, but don't do it ... regularly. The bike requires high octane because of the engine design, not because of the fuel mapping. This is a high compression engine which is prone to higher combustion temperatures, which make lower grade gasoline pre-detonate. That means that the fuel is exploding before the correct time, and causes an audible ping or knocking sound. Very bad for the engine.

Fuel mapping can't eliminate this.

Some bikes (like the BMW GS) have high compression engines but can run on regular because they have an anti-knock sensor that corrects the engine timing to eliminate the ping. The FJ-09 does not have one, so you should always run high octane.

• Premium Member
When describing fuel, can you quote the units as there are different standards - in Europe regular is 95 RON, which is what Yamaha say to use. Our super unleaded is 97 RON or more in some cases. A few countries, Austria and E.Europe, sell 91 RON if they have Trabants on the road...

I'm guessing the 87 regular and 91 super are PON units as given in the table http://thoms1.net/Ford/Reference/RONMONPON.html and super in the USA is regular 95 RON unleaded in Europe. Do you not get posh 97/100 RON petrol like Shell VPower Nitro+ or BP Ultimate?

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

When describing fuel, can you quote the units as there are different standards - in Europe regular is 95 RON, which is what Yamaha say to use. Our super unleaded is 97 RON or more in some cases. A few countries, Austria and E.Europe, sell 91 RON if they have Trabants on the road... 
I'm guessing the 87 regular and 91 super are PON units as given in the table http://thoms1.net/Ford/Reference/RONMONPON.html and super in the USA is regular 95 RON unleaded in Europe. Do you not get posh 97/100 RON petrol like Shell VPower Nitro+ or BP Ultimate?

BP ultimate over here is considered 93. We don't get fancy triple digits.

No idea how to do all the conversions. Owners manual says to use 91 octane. That's about as high as you can get where I live. There are a couple of gas stations that sell 93 octane, incase you have a Lamborghini.
Most stations in my area carry 93 but not 91. 93 is about 20 cents more than 91. I always put 93 in the bike. My base model Mini Cooper calls for 91. I see no point in spending the extra money for a car that goes 0-60 in about 9 seconds and drives no different between 91 and 93. I think it's mostly a money grab by the stations not to offer 91. On the other hand, I make it a point to go to the ones I know I can get 91 in my Mini, most of which offer 93 as well.

Archived