Any motorcycle habits you participate in to ward off bad luck.

I'll start. As long as I can remember, on my first spring ride I go find some left over snow and ride through it. Front wheel is good, both is best. Protects me from crashing all season. It's been working, haven't even fell over at no speed.  On the ST1300 forum they count how often they've done it. I never did. Owned that bike 13 years.

Just today, found some plow line remnants in a parking lot and ran over them repeatedly.  Fun to play with the ABS/TCS too!

Well, I've been riding for 59 years, and I used to crack up pretty regularly.  Finally, in 1998 I had my last crash, a biggie that messed up my bike and broke a collarbone.  After that, I stopped crashing.  I never adopted any particular "good luck" routine.  For sure, I've been very, very lucky a time or two, or three, but not so much as a tip-over since 1998.  I'm not sure what I've been doing so right since then, but whatever it is, not only have I not crashed, I haven't gotten any tickets, either!

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

I must have my little white vinyl coin purse in my left jacket pocket and little leather key pouch I made in a plastic cover with the house and shop keys on a "chain" with a mini Swiss army knife copy and a pair of ear plugs in my right jacket pocket.

I've been carrying these items I think for about the last 25+ years (been riding double that).

Since I bought my Hit-Air safety air vest I can't bring myself NOT to wear it.

Use to religiously wear a Super SeeMe safety vest then an electroluminescent lit neon yellow vest but in the last few years since getting the FJ and installing auxiliary lighting only wore it in traffic and bad weather.  The Hit-Air vest now supplants the other vest.

• Supporting Member

got a low hanging bell to ward off the gremlins!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, duckie said:

Only thing I do is hug my wife, kiss her, and tell her I love her…..before every ride……ya just never know.

I say goodbye as I head out the door but she's usually sleeping.  She does care deeply though, as she has my life insurance premium payment on auto pay.  So when she does hear my fond farewell, she may say "Have a great ride but please make me a rich widow!".

This year makes it 41 years of such marital bliss and tender caring.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

I always hug my wife before leaving for the ride.  

Then my ritual is to check tire pressures and the function of all lights just before getting on the bike.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

My bike must know that I don't get crazy out there because it tells me,

"See You Next Time" when the ride is over so I take comfort in that, lol. Other than that I check chain, tires, lights, oil level and wipe bugs off.

Edited by Instinct28

I talk to myself before starting off:

"Ride smart, stay aware, don't get angry, keep ego in check, you're not in a hurry, they'll kill you and not mean too."

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09