Dave Moss Tuning

Thanks for the photos.

I used to work at Evolution Motorcycles which was known for suspension work when Rob and Jane own it. He and Dave Moss were friend. Whenever those two talked suspension I was all ears. Learned alot.

We put a rear dunlop and a rear pirelli tirrs that are commonly used for the track side by side and pushed down on them. The difference in sidewall stiffness was incredible. You could push dowm on the pirelli and the sidewall would flex with ease. The dunlop sidewall would barely flex.

To mount bridgestone, we would put them out in the sun to get warm so they were easier to mount.

Fun times……

• Thumbsup 1

Great photos @maximo, thanks.  You are lighter than I so I guess your settings might not be right for me.

Also, street tuning is a lot different than track tuning.  You mentioned he set you up for comfort, which makes sense. Most of us do not brake and accelerate at 90% on the street.

Best $60 you ever spent.  I wish he would visit New England sometime!

• Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member

FYI, I have rebound and compression in both legs, with adjustable compression in the left utilizing modified OEM parts except for the compression damping.

The front in conjunction with a Razor R shock provide admirable performance, particularly for their comparative low cost, with all labor by me.  Front springs are .95 Sonics, with preload spacers and fluid blended to 16 CST @ 40C by me as well.  Before the pandemic I was 235 in full gear, and in my yute to my late 50s (after which physicalilities have crimped my abilities but I'm working hard on that of late) I could maintain a good clip in moderate twisties and better than that in fast, tight sweepers.  Not that the bikes and particularly the tires and I were all that good when I road raced 2 strokes in the early 70s, I did acquire good fundamentals that included mechanical training, that along with the survival skills and instincts I developed working part-time as a motorcycle courier on the streets of San Francisco, and my later formal technical training, have served me well to this day in knowing what works and how to achieve it cost effectively.

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/1/2022 at 9:51 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

FYI, I have rebound and compression in both legs, with adjustable compression in the left utilizing modified OEM parts except for the compression damping.

I have to admit this sentence makes no sense to me.

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, OZVFR said:

There used to be a forum vendor, "Forks by Matt" on this and several other bike forums that made his own 'home-brew' valving as a side job.  He would use the oem FJ cartridges, modify them so that both legs had adjustable rebound damping and adjustable fork caps.  He would also fit modified compression valves on both legs with the left leg having an adjustable base screw. 

The cartridges work wonderfully, unfortunately work and health issues got in the way and he is no longer a forum vendor.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 4/2/2022 at 8:02 AM, OZVFR said:

Your avatar still makes me laugh, and I would have stolen it a long time to use as my avatar on another MC forum but they use circular graphics for avatars so it was a no-go

8 hours ago, Skidood said:

Your avatar still makes me laugh, and I would have stolen it a long time to use as my avatar on another MC forum but they use circular graphics for avatars so it was a no-go

The moment I saw that picture 10 years ago I had to use it. 

This is the third forum now. 

• Thumbsup 1