Preparing '20 900GT for longer tour. What do I need?

Going to be going on a two-week tour through the US States in early summer on the '20 Tracer.  I think I'm ready but thought I would check to see what else I might need:

1) I've bought an MRA Vario X screen and am waiting for it to arrive.  Need to minimize some buffeting if I'm going to be riding daily for 500km a day.  At 5'11.5" I find the stock screen alright in the low position but would appreciate some higher wind coverage, depending on the weather.  Haven't tested the new screen but the reviews are excellent.

2) OEM top box and OEM panniers.  I know I'm not supposed to use the three together, but I won't be carrying a passenger, so I should be well under the gross vehicle weight limit (and any undue stress on the subframe).

3)Yamaha FJR liners - I have these, but they are a tad too big for the panniers, as they were designed for the FJR.  There are no Tracer 900GT specific liners from Yamaha.  Wondering if there might be an aftermarket company that makes some that fit well?

4) Have the OEM comfort seat but haven't tried it.  Anyone use it?

5) Tires.  I'm running the stock tires with 5000km on them.  I guess they're three years old at this point.  Should be adequate?  I'd like to have a sporty tire on the bike at some point.  What works well? 

6) What else do I need?  I have a spare tire kit, but do I need any other tools?  I don't have a phone mount but something easy would be good.   

• Supporting Member
58 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

Going to be going on a two-week tour through the US States in early summer on the '20 Tracer.  I think I'm ready but thought I would check to see what else I might need:

1) I've bought an MRA Vario X screen and am waiting for it to arrive.  Need to minimize some buffeting if I'm going to be riding daily for 500km a day.  At 5'11.5" I find the stock screen alright in the low position but would appreciate some higher wind coverage, depending on the weather.  Haven't tested the new screen but the reviews are excellent.

2) OEM top box and OEM panniers.  I know I'm not supposed to use the three together, but I won't be carrying a passenger, so I should be well under the gross vehicle weight limit (and any undue stress on the subframe).

3)Yamaha FJR liners - I have these, but they are a tad too big for the panniers, as they were designed for the FJR.  There are no Tracer 900GT specific liners from Yamaha.  Wondering if there might be an aftermarket company that makes some that fit well?

5) Tires.  I'm running the stock tires with 5000km on them.  I guess they're three years old at this point.  Should be adequate?  I'd like to have a sporty tire on the bike at some point.  What works well? 

6) What else do I need?  I have a spare tire kit, but do I need any other tools?  I don't have a phone mount but something easy would be good.   

If you are planning on a 2 week trip a few thousand miles from home I would get fresh tires before you leave.  Leave NOTHING to chance.  I have tried to push my luck on a road trip before, thinking I could make it the entire trip on used tires (I had a fresh set of tires in the garage waiting for me) and ended  up running it to the cords in the center a day before making it back home and needing to find a bike shop for a new tire.

Make sure your chain is in very good condition, air filter is clean, fresh oil change, battery is charged and everything is in perfect working order.  I normally go out for a day ride prior to leaving on a trip and make sure everything on the bike operates normally.

For tools, at a minimum bring everything required to remove the rear wheel (I bring tools for the front as well) and the body panels should you need to get under the tank. 

I prefer a dedicated GPS and never travel without one, there is nothing nicer when out in the middle of nowhere, than pressing a button "Nearest Gas".  One other word of advise on fuel stops, get fuel before you need it.  I have filled up and then topped off again 50-60 miles later just because I knew I was going to a very remote location (central Nevada or Death Valley) where anything can go wrong or a gas station no longer exists, again, leave nothing to chance.

Even though you are going in the summer BRING RAIN GEAR, I have encountered many unexpected rain storms.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

I have done several long distance trips on my Tracer, including a trip from Fresno CA to Jacksonville, FL and back. Here are my suggestions, feel free to ignore if they don't apply to you, but think about each of them, they have saved me a lot during my long distance rides.

1) Don't install a new screen right before you take your trip (or any other modification for that matter) f. Make sure all your equipment, (windscreen, seats, and any new items you purchased for your bike, etc.) have been used by you for a while before you take them on a long trip. 

2) OEM top box and OEM Panniers should not be a problem on your Tracer. Just be careful about how much weight you carry in each bag. I found that If I carried 4 sets of clothes, I could always do my laundry at a friends house, or if necessary there are plenty of places to do your laundry in almost every town in America. Store heavy items in your side bags, not high in the top box. Makes the bike much more stable and less likely to shift when riding.

3) I used the Shad liners with the Yamaha hard side cases and they worked great. As a bonus, they have handles to make it easier to take them off the bike and carry into a hotel. Also, just opening the side cases and putting the shad case with my clothes in and locking it was super easy when I arrived at hotels.

4) ***Do Not use a NEW seat before a long trip*** please break it in first, and make sure it is comfortable for you, especially  make sure you take a few long rides with the new seat. (or keep using your old seat if you don't have time to properly break in the new seat.)

5) Tires wear out, and I had to purchase new tires on my trip. You can do the same, but it can be a bit of a hassle to find a shop on the road which has the tires you want and the time to service your bike. If you can make the trip without changing tires, no issue. If you will have to change tires, you should call ahead and have the shop where you plan on getting the tires changed order the tires you want and reserve a spot in the schedule to have them swap out your tires. But beware, you now have a date that you HAVE to be in a specific city at a specific time, while you are riding across country. (you could also replace the tires before your trip and not have to worry about them :)

6) Bring all the tools you currently use when doing basic maintenance on your bike. Get used to performing the maintenance tasks on your bike with only the tools from your tool roll. If you need something you don't have in the roll, you might want to add that in the roll, so you will have all the tools you might need on the road.

7) AMA Membership - Great for breakdowns on the road, they will tow you and your bike to a shop, so you can get it fixed and get back on the road quickly.

I'm sure I've missed something, but this is a good list. You might search for posts by me, as I did a more comprehensive post on my Cross Country trip from Fresno CA to Jacksonville FL and back again. I'm sure there are things in there I forgot to include here.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.

• Thumbsup 4

A comment about tires is that there is nothing certain about tire availability in small towns, or a shop that can get them, or that you can find a shop open on a Sunday or Monday! As for fuel, a loaded bike naturally gets less mpg than unloaded and I find whe heading into a strong wind the mpg drops even more. I also fill top off my tank well before needed just because whats ahead may be unknown. I usually don't plan a route, just a general direction, and don't make reservations. I do have a Zumo that of course provides gas, food, and motel/camping info. 

Good luck on your trip, and ride safely!

• Thumbsup 3

How many kms do you plan to ride?  Are you going to do your 500 km/day for the full 2 weeks or having the odd day off?  I just changed the tires on my 2020 @ 14,000 kms.  The front was well used but the rear was certainly finished.  I'd say that new tires before your trip all depends on your plans. 

With only 5,000 kms on the odometer of your bike, I wouldn't expect any serious repairs needed ... of course, the unexpected can always occur.  In 2008, I took off for a month trip on my V-Strom (about 35,000 kms on it, when leaving home).  I took tools to adjust my chain, a tire plug kit and a compact air pump.  Over my 14,000 km trip, I got an oil change and adjusted the chain, at a friend's, in Victoria, BC and a new rear tire in Kelowna.

Fuel stops early is great advice and don't always believe GPS about open locations.  I had a scare when a planned fuel stop in the middle of nowhere Nevada ended up being a vacant building.  😵

20230423_085435.jpg

• Thumbsup 5

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

There are lots of good suggestions made above. I’ll add a few from my experience. I toured on my ‘19 900 GT also before my current Tracer 9 GT.

The oem comfort seat was quite a bit better for me than the stock one. I had a Corbin also, and actually preferred the Yamaha comfort seat, but all backsides are different..

i found that using dry roll end bags of different sizes works well for me to pack in the side cases. I have a larger one in one case for clothes, and an equal size one in the other pannier for all the miscellaneous items that are needed each night in the motel, such as phone charger, meds, hygiene items, etc. Then some smaller bags to pack around the bigger ones if needed. Each night, just carry the two bigger bags into your room. I have had no problems with a top box in addition to the panniers.

Take riding gear for all potential weather conditions. I have a dry bag on the rear seat in front of the top box for my extra heavier/lighter gloves, heated jacket, rain gear, etc. My trips usually include the Rocky Mtn. areas; if you are not including areas of altitude, than obviously the heated gear may not be needed. I’ve had trips in June with temps of 115 degrees, to near freezing with snow at 12,000 feet.

Do NOT make any mods or perform any significant maintenance to your bike immediately prior to your trip. Yamahas are very reliable. Generally, if you have a problem with them, it often can be traced to the last thing you messed with. Do your mods/maintenance a month or so ahead of time, and ride the bike for a while to make sure all is well.

Ditto the emphasis above on staring out on newer tires. I usually put them on 2 to 3 weeks ahead of time and put a few miles on them prior to a long trip. Sweating the ever decreasing tread depth on worn tires as you progress in your journey definitely detracts from your enjoyment. 

As for tools, on a newer Yamaha, I take enough to do basic things like tighten mirror nuts, remove a battery, adjust a chain, etc. As an aside, make sure your chain has plenty of life left beforehand as stated above. The most important item is a flat tire repair kit. I like the Nealey tire repair kit; the strings are live rubber coated and do not require the rubber cement that other sticky string kits do, that invariably either leaks or dries out before you need it. A tire gauge and small air pump completes the package. 

A tank bag is great to have for items that you need to have at hand like sunglasses, maps, etc. One of my most used items kept there is a packet of Pledge all purpose wipes; great for using at a brief stop to remove bug guts from your faceshield. 

Enjoy your trip greatly. Long motorcycle trips are one of my favorite things in life. I hope it will be for you too.

• Thumbsup 5

3 hours ago, Heavy said:

How many kms do you plan to ride?  Are you going to do your 500 km/day for the full 2 weeks or having the odd day off?  I just changed the tires on my 2020 @ 14,000 kms.  The front was well used but the rear was certainly finished.  I'd say that new tires before your trip all depends on your plans. 

With only 5,000 kms on the odometer of your bike, I wouldn't expect any serious repairs needed ... of course, the unexpected can always occur.  In 2008, I took off for a month trip on my V-Strom (about 35,000 kms on it, when leaving home).  I took tools to adjust my chain, a tire plug kit and a compact air pump.  Over my 14,000 km trip, I got an oil change and adjusted the chain, at a friend's, in Victoria, BC and a new rear tire in Kelowna.

Fuel stops early is great advice and don't always believe GPS about open locations.  I had a scare when a planned fuel stop in the middle of nowhere Nevada ended up being a vacant building.  😵

20230423_085435.jpg

At what age should my tires be replaced?  It's a 2020 with the OEM tires, so really, those tires are four years old with 5100km.  If I'm covering 400km per day over two weeks, that's 5600km.  Perhaps I should change them before I go...would you say the OEM tires are good for 7500km?  

FWIW… if you don’t currently have this, look into some form of helicopter and medical transport insurance. If something happens to you far away from home, this will cover the cost of getting you back home. 

Plus, use something like life 360 so others can monitor your trip. 

• Thumbsup 2

4 hours ago, kingfisher said:

There are lots of good suggestions made above. I’ll add a few from my experience. I toured on my ‘19 900 GT also before my current Tracer 9 GT.

The oem comfort seat was quite a bit better for me than the stock one. I had a Corbin also, and actually preferred the Yamaha comfort seat, but all backsides are different..

i found that using dry roll end bags of different sizes works well for me to pack in the side cases. I have a larger one in one case for clothes, and an equal size one in the other pannier for all the miscellaneous items that are needed each night in the motel, such as phone charger, meds, hygiene items, etc. Then some smaller bags to pack around the bigger ones if needed. Each night, just carry the two bigger bags into your room. I have had no problems with a top box in addition to the panniers.

Take riding gear for all potential weather conditions. I have a dry bag on the rear seat in front of the top box for my extra heavier/lighter gloves, heated jacket, rain gear, etc. My trips usually include the Rocky Mtn. areas; if you are not including areas of altitude, than obviously the heated gear may not be needed. I’ve had trips in June with temps of 115 degrees, to near freezing with snow at 12,000 feet.

Do NOT make any mods or perform any significant maintenance to your bike immediately prior to your trip. Yamahas are very reliable. Generally, if you have a problem with them, it often can be traced to the last thing you messed with. Do your mods/maintenance a month or so ahead of time, and ride the bike for a while to make sure all is well.

Ditto the emphasis above on staring out on newer tires. I usually put them on 2 to 3 weeks ahead of time and put a few miles on them prior to a long trip. Sweating the ever decreasing tread depth on worn tires as you progress in your journey definitely detracts from your enjoyment. 

As for tools, on a newer Yamaha, I take enough to do basic things like tighten mirror nuts, remove a battery, adjust a chain, etc. As an aside, make sure your chain has plenty of life left beforehand as stated above. The most important item is a flat tire repair kit. I like the Nealey tire repair kit; the strings are live rubber coated and do not require the rubber cement that other sticky string kits do, that invariably either leaks or dries out before you need it. A tire gauge and small air pump completes the package. 

A tank bag is great to have for items that you need to have at hand like sunglasses, maps, etc. One of my most used items kept there is a packet of Pledge all purpose wipes; great for using at a brief stop to remove bug guts from your faceshield. 

Enjoy your trip greatly. Long motorcycle trips are one of my favorite things in life. I hope it will be for you too.

Thanks.  I like the idea of a tank bag but am unsure as to which ones won't scratch the tank...you'd need one that has the fitment ring for the gas cap.  Who makes one?

OEM tires are awful, totally transformed my bike with new Michelin's in every way possible. Some good advice given to ya, most important thing is to not overthink things. ;) 

• Thumbsup 3

6 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

Thanks.  I like the idea of a tank bag but am unsure as to which ones won't scratch the tank...you'd need one that has the fitment ring for the gas cap.  Who makes one?

I've always used magnetic bags on previous bikes/trips like this simple one. Never had any tank scratches as long as I clean the tank and the bottom of the bag each morning. 

Screenshot_20230423_202501_Photos.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

I like the idea of a tank bag but am unsure as to which ones won't scratch the tank...you'd need one that has the fitment ring for the gas cap.  Who makes one?

SW Motech makes an excellent one. Pro ring and Evo ring including the associated Pro bag and Evo bags. Take note on what you're bringing for your trip plus future rides.

https://sw-motech.us/products/luggage/tank+bags/PRO+tank+ring/

Lots of YouTube video reviews on most of 'em. Personally on my '22 T9GT went with a Pro ring and Engage tank bag as it conforms to the shape of the tank nicely.

11 hours ago, duckie said:

FWIW… if you don’t currently have this, look into some form of helicopter and medical transport insurance. If something happens to you far away from home, this will cover the cost of getting you back home. 

Plus, use something like life 360 so others can monitor your trip. 

Good idea.  It would also be a good idea to know where the motorcycle tow truck guys might be so I can access them.  

16 minutes ago, robzilla said:

SW Motech makes an excellent one. Pro ring and Evo ring including the associated Pro bag and Evo bags. Take note on what you're bringing for your trip plus future rides.

https://sw-motech.us/products/luggage/tank+bags/PRO+tank+ring/

Lots of YouTube video reviews on most of 'em. Personally on my '22 T9GT went with a Pro ring and Engage tank bag as it conforms to the shape of the tank nicely.

I have a Givi tank bag from 2013 that I used on my old Speed Triple.  Perhaps I can find an adaptor that will fit my tank.  

Been using mag tank bags for years, nary a scratch.  Clean and wax the tank and check to see if you have any metal objects on the bag before placing it on the tank.

The fring lock ones seem nice at first but they hold less for the same external size like an 8L is about the same size as a 12L mag bag.  You still have to take either off to gas up but the mag bag tether strap lets you hang it down. 

• Thumbsup 1