Preparing '20 900GT for longer tour. What do I need?

16 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

At what age should my tires be replaced?  It's a 2020 with the OEM tires, so really, those tires are four years old with 5100km.  If I'm covering 400km per day over two weeks, that's 5600km.  Perhaps I should change them before I go...would you say the OEM tires are good for 7500km?  

Sure, the OEM tires should go 7,500 kms.  As was mentioned though, the OEM tires aren't anything great and, depending on the riding you've been doing, they've likely started to square off anyway.  Like I said initially, it's all up to you ... how you ride, what you expect from the tires and your level of security.  It's true that there's nothing like a fresh set of hoops to make your bike feel transformed.  Why not put on a fresh set and optimize your trip.

I always keep an old set of tires so I have back-up if I get an irreparable puncture.  Does you no good during your trip but gives you options when at home.  You know that (more so in Canada) you rarely find a dealer with "your tire" in stock.  Means you aren't forced into parking the bike while waiting for tires to come in, or buying something you really don't want.  The OEM tires, with 5,000 kms would be a nice pair for back-up.

• Thumbsup 2

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Premium Member

+ 1 on the heated jacket liner.  It's one of the most versatile items I carry.  Even in summer the mountains can be cool.  I have started many mornings with electric jacket liner under a mesh jacket.  Add a rain suit and you're ready for anything.

Did anyone mention hydration?  I wear a CamelBak pack when the weather gets warm.  It makes a big difference in my energy and alertness on long days.

• Thumbsup 3

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Supporting Member

Lots of good suggestions on here, and I'd also point at ride reports both in this forum and the Adventure Rider forum. You may find some lessons learnt in the reports that may be of value.

Cruise control and highway pegs may come handy to relieve fatigue on longer days. Plan the ride in manageable chunks of distance. A tight schedule will make it less enjoyable. Don't make it an endurance ride... enjoy the stop-overs and take time to smell the roses.

Safe travels.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I did not see mirror extensions on your list.  I find mine very useful on long rides, especially on multi lane roads.

I also find a mechanical throttle lock really helps with right hand fatigue and cramping when blasting highways.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I've done several long trips on my 2020 900 GT.  It's a great bike and will eat up the miles.  It will be an adventure you will never forget.  Expect the unexpected.  2 1/2 years ago I set out on my bike for Red Lodge MT.  Got 1,100 miles down the road and the bike broke in Nebraska.  As my wife said "it's an adventure"!  Had been wanting a Tracer 900 GT before I left.  Found on on Cycle trader in Sioux Falls SD.  Fixed my bike and rode up there and traded.  The day I would have ridden into Red Lodge they got 6 to 8 inches of snow!  I made it there the next year.  Relax and enjoy the sights.  I never ride early in the morning at at dusk.  Occasionally I'll ride out at night for dinner but always carefully because of deer and other wildlife.

Tires: start with new tires, two weeks at 500KM/day makes for 7,000KM.  Even if they would last tires that are worn are thinner and more prone to punctures.  At some point you will encounter rain and I value wet traction a lot.  I'm running Michelin Road 6s and they are currently at 8,000 miles with lots of tread left - really amazing to me.  Front wears better than Road 5s.

Tools, I always carry enough tools to be able to remove the front and rear tires and the fasteners.  Not that many different tools.  I can get a long handled 3/8" craftsman ratchet under the seat in the right side area on the outside of the tube.  I put sockets and tools in baggies on they go in the areas on either side.  There is also space under the seat as well - I have my Neutrino Element there so to much space for tools.  I have a tire plug kit, a CO2 inflater and a small electric tire pump - note on the air pump.  Start the bike when using so you don't run the battery down.  I have a chain oiler but have used chain lube in the past.  Hard to lube every night but a few times during the trip should be good.  My OEM chain was replaced at 11,000 miles as I was heading out on a 6,000 mile trip.  

Cases:  I use compression sacks for my clothes and pack the heavy stuff in the side cases.  I have a top case but don't like how far back it is.  I carry a 58liter waterproof duffle on the rear seat.  The top case is reserved for rain gear and I store my helmet in it when stopping.  Will also put groceries in there if I happen to stop.  My bike has been very stable with the top case and side cases and has seen some descent speeds.

Tank bag:  I've had a couple of Givi TankLock bags but have been disappointed in the quality of the zippers.  They are easy on and off.  I'm going to buy a SW Moto tank bag before my next trip.  I keep essentials in my tank bag as well as my iPad.  Spare batteries for the GoPro - need to have video of your trip.  Also carry a small voltmeter - seems like I've had more trouble with electrical and electronic stuff on my trips.  to bike problems but trying to figure out why stuff doesn't work.  Also carry zip ties and a few wire crimp connectors.  I put a USB outlet in the hole on the right side of my dash.  It's the same as the 12 outlet on the right.  Took a bit or grinding with a Dremel to enlarge so the outlet would fit.  I also carry a USB outlet that will fit into the 12V outlet.  I never mount a USB converter on the handlebars.  My previous bike had a lot of vibrations on the bars and would kill a USB converter in less than a day.  Take USB cords for everything you have with you.  I also carry a Mophie in the tank bag.  Typically I charge all my devices at night but can also charge during the day from the bike if needed.  

Navigation:  I use a Garmin Zumo XT.  It has been a great asset, it isn't the easiest to plan or enter a route but I love it for the "cities ahead" feature.  That lets me see what cities/town are ahead and if they have gas, food and lodging.  This is very valuable in the western US where distance between gas stations may be significant.  Every time I get gas I always reset a trip odometer, gas used and gas mileage.  When riding I'll use all three to estimate how much range I have left.  I have come close to running out a few times but have gotten better on planning.  In remote areas I look at the route planned for the next day and see where gas stations are.  Most of the time I have a closer and then a further station picked out.  If the closer is open then I'll stop there but know I can make it to the next one if I have to.  Do not trust what the bike says in terms of gas mileage and gas used.  After a few tanks you can get a good idea of how accurate it is.  Typically my bike will hold 0.2 gallons more than it says I've used.  I keep a close eye on when the fuel gauge goes from full to half.  That gives me an idea of how much range I'll get out of the tank.  Gas mileage varies a lot depending on the gas you get - always try and get ethanol free.  Elevation, headwind and speed all can have significant impacts on mileage.  I've gone as few as 145 miles before the gas light went on to as many as 240 miles!  If you get thin on gas slow down.  Going slower has a significant impact on mileage.  On trips, unless I'm on a fun road, I'll shift up earlier and try and ride as much as possible in the highest gear.  Always run premium, in a pinch it will run on regular and somethimes that is all that is available.  If running regular I try to ride the bike more gently and avoid full throttle at high RPM and also lugging the bike.  The bike does not have a knock sensor.  I have Rever, the Zumo, paper maps and my phone.  I'll also take a small notebook computer in addition to my iPad so I can plan routes on it (my goad but I never do LOL)

Be prepared for all kinds of weather!  A couple of years ago rode into Moab and it was 100F, next day it was 99F.  When I left it was 65F but getting warmer and some rain was forecast.  Riding up to Rock Springs, WY I made it about 50 miles before encountered rain.  Temperature dropped to 55F and then as I gained elevation it steadily dropped.  I had my light Frog Tongs rain jacket on over my riding jacket and was wearing two T-Shirts!  Stopped and got out heavy gloves and a fleece jacket.  Going thru a mountain pass the temperature dropped to 34F with rain but no snow or sleet!  Grip heaters on high but I was COLD!  Made it to Rock Springs and eventually got warmed up a bit.  Rode from Rock Springs to Fort Collins CO mostly on I80.  Three days later that stretch of I 80 had 6" of snow!  I have since bought a good rain jacket that goes over my riding jacket.  For rain pants I have a pair of the cheap Frog Togg pants (Amazon or Walmart).  I also carry a the Frog Togg jacket but they only last a day or less if riding at interstate speeds.  I take a couple of long sleeved t-shirts and a fleece jacket as well as my warm and safe heated jacket.  I have used it one time but it was good, I'd rather pack it along and not need it than riding all day being cold.

Bike prep:  Start out the trip with fresh oil and filter.  Check everything carefully on the bike particularly the chain.  Look at steering head bearings, fork seals, coolant and brake fluid.  

Windscreen:  I run a MRA touring screen and added a "wing" on top of it.  The "wing" came from Amazon and does a good job of getting the turbulence off of the top of my helmet.  

Seat: I have an aftermarket seat that works nicely but not a huge improvement over stock.  I also run an AirHawk air cushion.  It has so little air in it is looks deflated but helps.  I ride up to 600 miles a day with it and routinely go from gas fillip to the next without stopping.

I tent camp a lot and so have a tent, sleeping bag, air mattress and inflatable pillows.  Clothes in a lightweight backpack make a usable pillow.  

• Thumbsup 3

I always lay out what I think I'll need to pack. Then try to cut that by half. Then cull the pile again. Laundry, WalMart, thrift stores cover omissions. Tool wise don't bring what you don't know how to use. Cell phones and credit cards are your friend. For riding gear think hot/cold/wet/dry. Try to figure multiple uses for any 1 piece of gear. I like having a rough idea of an end point and winging it as to how I get there. I try to avoid Interstates with a passion. Set daily plans aren't for me. I carry paper maps to see poi's ahead and use my Zumo only when needed. Start out by 7-8 am, and pay attention to how tired I am and when to start thinking about stopping for the day and where. 

All this suits me, may not others. 

Oh, and don't foget that roadside emergency roll of toilet paper!!

Edited by TomTracer
Added item.
  • Thumbsup 4

Lots of good points, so will just add a PDF list from the AMA I found awhile back which has many of the same items mentioned.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1X4VyUsdniienNhaEw0cm00ZFk/view?usp=share_link&resourcekey=0-DTzO2nAR2U0fa34aZPKc7A

If you can't open the link or want to see the list, let me know and I'll just copy/paste it in this thread.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, robzilla said:

Lots of good points, so will just add a PDF list from the AMA I found awhile back which has many of the same items mentioned.

Nice one, I just ordered some dog tags with contact info.

• Thumbsup 1

Good call on the dog tags, need to order a bracelet since I'm on a blood thinner.

On my iPhone I have a list of my meds that can be accessed from the locked screen by first responders.  Also has pertinent medical history.

I try and minimize what I take.  Last trip out left my really nice lightweight tent stake hammer at home.  Kept looking at found one at a hardware store in Canada - aluminum meat tenderizer hammer that works perfectly.

14 hours ago, nhchris said:

I did not see mirror extensions on your list.  I find mine very useful on long rides, especially on multi lane roads.

I also find a mechanical throttle lock really helps with right hand fatigue and cramping when blasting highways.

Mirror extensions?  Do you mean having a small convex mirror attached to the original mirror for a longer look back?

Get a throttle lock (cruise control) to relieve your throttle grip and allow the occasional use of you right hand while driving. 

A sheepskin seat pad is really nice on the butt.  Especially so for long rides. 

Your tires should be fine.  When you get back they'll be squared off.  New ones at that point will feel fantastic. 

I use a RAM X-Grip cell phone mount and Google Maps for directions.   A wireless charger,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FM8R7J1?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

siliconed to the mount to keeps the phone charged while riding.  I also have a waterproof phone case handy for when it rains. 

I also carry a small electric tire pump (check Revzilla) with a tire plug (bacon strips) kit.  Test the pump on your tires first to make sure the pump doesn't blow a fuse while under load.

A 12v heated jacket liner is really nice to have when you get chilled and allows you to ride with less layers to stay warm. 

Screenshot_20230426_053931_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Ride On
Pic added
  • Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

Mirror extensions?  Do you mean having a small convex mirror attached to the original mirror for a longer look back?

No. I use these to lengthen the mirror stalks.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/yamaha-mirror-extenders.html

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

2 hours ago, Ride On said:

Get a throttle lock (cruise control) to relieve your throttle grip and allow the occasional use of you right hand while driving. 

A sheepskin seat pad is really nice on the butt.  Especially so for long rides. 

Your tires should be fine.  When you get back they'll be squared off.  New ones at that point will feel fantastic. 

I use a RAM X-Grip cell phone mount and Google Maps for directions.   A wireless charger,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FM8R7J1?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

siliconed to the mount to keeps the phone charged while riding.  I also have a waterproof phone case handy for when it rains. 

I also carry a small electric tire pump (check Revzilla) with a tire plug (bacon strips) kit.  Test the pump on your tires first to make sure the pump doesn't blow a fuse while under load.

A 12v heated jacket liner is really nice to have when you get chilled and allows you to ride with less layers to stay warm. 

Screenshot_20230426_053931_Gallery.jpg

About the tire pump, if you use the existing DC socket you will blow the 2A fuse.  Best to get one that is wireless, one charge will last a long time topping off the PSI in the tires.  Amazon has them from $40 on up.

• Thumbsup 1

Maybe keep in mind the dusk and dawn for animal activity.  It would suck pretty hard to hit some woodland creature.

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

22 minutes ago, OldBikers said:

About the tire pump, if you use the existing DC socket you will blow the 2A fuse.  Best to get one that is wireless, one charge will last a long time topping off the PSI in the tires.  Amazon has them from $40 on up.

Alright.