Crush washer for oil plug bolt.

When I did my 600 mile oil change I bought a new crush washer for the oil plug but I could not get the old washer off of the bolt. Any one else experience this? I don't usually worry about replacing crush washers but the salesman offered me one when I asked fort a filter and figured why not. Anyway I boughta magnetic plug on Ebay and plan to install that next change.

I think I had that same issue when doing the first oil change at 600mi. I used a flat tip screw driver to pry off the old crush washer. Now that I've gone through 2 oil changes, so far no issues removing the old used crush washer.

Why reuse a used crush washer,  They're to be replaced for every oil change, cheap insurance for a leak or stripped oil pan, about $0.10 each.

How would a magnetic drain plug not use a crush washer?

Thanks for the replies. I tried prying the old washer off witha small flat blade but could not get it off. I was afraid of damaging the threads if I tried any harder.

The magnetic plug does use a crush washer. I just prefer the magnetic plug as it traps any metal particles.

I've had to hold the plug in a vise and gently tap a knife blade (obviously don't use a knife you care about) in between the crush washer and the plug to create a little space, then pry with a screwdriver to finish the job.

The crush washer is much softer steel, so there's no need to worry about damaging the threads on the plug unless you're really ham-fisted with the screwdriver.

If you change them every time, they're usually not this hard to remove. Not sure why this one was such a pain, but that's just how it is sometimes.

I don't re-use the washers (except when I ran out one time) and buy them by the dozen. My 1st time it was stuck, Putty knife took it off easy. What seems to work well for me is I started dipping my finger in oil and giving a thin coat on both sides before putting it on and just cleaning it up with a rag after the plug is torqued down.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Don't re-use crush washers, they are disposable items and WILL start to leak over time.....

AND, they are only about 50 cents each. Buy in bulk so you always have a bunch ready for your oil change.

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

Nope definitely not.

I had a 75 and 76 firebird, 79 trans am and 67 Camaro. None of em used crush washers 😁.

All of those cars had a stamped steel oil pans. Our bikes have a cast aluminum  pans. Definitely not the same beast. 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

On 5/29/2023 at 8:13 AM, OldBikers said:

Why reuse a used crush washer,  They're to be replaced for every oil change, cheap insurance for a leak or stripped oil pan, about $0.10 each.

How would a magnetic drain plug not use a crush washer?

I have NEVER replaced the original crushwasher on any motorcycle drain plug I have owned over the decades, and have yet to have so much as a drip occur.

• Thumbsup 4