One thing I hate about my 19 GT….

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Warchild said:

foamwash.thumb.jpg.b3b9de97d9f6337af4d433a3fa14b804.jpg

I wash the thing by hand... and it's not that bad IMO, but I wandered about doing this for a while now. What product do you use?

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

On 8/13/2023 at 12:42 PM, piotrek said:

I wash the thing by hand... and it's not that bad IMO, but I wandered about doing this for a while now. What product do you use?

Enquiring minds want to know! 😎

Edited by Ivan C

• Supporting Member
On 8/14/2023 at 5:42 AM, piotrek said:

56 minutes ago, Ivan C said:

Enquiring minds want to know! 😎

Not wishing to hijack what @Warchild might reply, but this is what I use and it's probably a similar product anyway.

And just as a heads up, you still need to do some hand washing if your ride's got some grime embedded.

HTH.

20201208_154635.jpg

20201208_161201.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I don't wash my bike after every ride, I know, I know........

But when it is time, I take it down to the self service car wash and put in a few quarters and spray it clean. I make sure I get everything soaking wet, and the bugs are soft and come off easily and stand back a ways to reduce the pressure on the bike.

I have been doing this for a long time, and it seems to work great for me.

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, DavidS said:

But when it is time, I take it down to the self service car wash and put in a few quarters and spray it clean. I make sure I get everything soaking wet, and the bugs are soft and come off easily and stand back a ways to reduce the pressure on the bike.

12 hours ago, TomTracer said:

I do the same. No forceful direct spray on chain or wheel bearings or electronics. Backing away with the wand to fan spray distance is enough. It ain't rocket science.

I should have clarified that the 'snow job' that I linked above requires the use of a pressure washer to apply the foam in the first place which it does at low pressure.  I let that soak for a while on all the bugs etc. and then as you guys do, I attach the wide pressure lance/nozzle and carefully get in there to remove 90% of the crap.

There is sometimes some hand washing follow up in some areas but probably because I'm also guilty of not washing that regularly either. 😏

13 hours ago, DavidS said:

Should you wash it after every ride?

• Premium Member
On 8/20/2023 at 7:49 AM, whisperquiet said:

Absolutely not……that cuts into riding time.

Well, if you live in IL, that might be a problem given the extended winters and weather 

But in Sunny California, you can ride year round, and that puts a lot of road grime and crud on the bike. I typically clean mine after about 3 or 4 rides, or when the bike ends up coated with grime.

1 hour ago, DavidS said:

Well, if you live in IL, that might be a problem given the extended winters and weather 

But in Sunny California, you can ride year round, and that puts a lot of road grime and crud on the bike. I typically clean mine after about 3 or 4 rides, or when the bike ends up coated with grime.

Same here…..our weather has moderated to milder winters with very little snow (southern Illinois).  I ride more in the winter than summer due to the heat and high summer humidity.  I do keep my bikes pretty clean…..just don’t clean after every ride as I have been riding 25000 to 30000 miles a year for the last 6-7 years.  

• Supporting Member

You guys wash your bikes?  I don't think I've washed mine once yet haha.  Been too danged busy :(

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount