Disable ABS

So after a shake down ride this weekend to prepare the FJ for a continental divide ride, I realized I need to disable the ABS.  I looked up the trick to disable the ABS on the Tenere online because we have similar ECUs (put on center stand, shift into second and let her spin the back tire).  Well that didn't work, I just got a check engine light that was reset by riding it around the block.  Anyone have any ideas that doesn't involve some crazy switch on the ABS fuse?

• 3 weeks later...
Stopped in neutral you press the avs button located on the left hand button labeled "abs". Be careful she likes floating the front end.
You're talking about the TCS button that disables traction control. The bike will wheelie easy with TCS off. You can't turn the ABS off on the FJ-09. It's on permanently.  
As as far as I know, no ones figured out a hack to disable it. 

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of ABS, I have not ridden any ABS equipped bike before the Tracer. I once had the back brake ABS activated and it was reacting so hard that it gave off a loud clink sound and sprung my foot off the brake pedal! To be honest, the feeling was worst then a rear tire skip and it doesn't feel normal for me.

Having said that, is that suppose to be the "pulsating" ABS feel people refer to?

Speaking of ABS, I have not ridden any ABS equipped bike before the Tracer. I once had the back brake ABS activated and it was reacting so hard that it gave off a loud clink sound and sprung my foot off the brake pedal! To be honest, the feeling was worst then a rear tire skip and it doesn't feel normal for me.  
Having said that, is that suppose to be the "pulsating" ABS feel people refer to?

Yes. Normal.
Just wait till you feel the front go off too.
-skip
  • Thumbsup 1

• 9 months later...
  • Premium Member
I removed the 2 abs fuses under the seat and problem solved! I hate abs, I think it's dangerous, and degrading to motorcyclists as a whole lol.
So true! And never use the front brake, it's a widow maker!!  (rofl)
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I removed the 2 abs fuses under the seat and problem solved! I hate abs, I think it's dangerous, and degrading to motorcyclists as a whole lol.
Would it be possible to wire in switches?
Anyone wishing to use a switch to quickly able or disable the fuse can use this and it's available at Amazon. Simply plug into the fuse location you wish to disable and use standard connectors to a switch. You can also install an in line fuse between the switch and the fuse location so you will have the fuse should it need to deal with a short. Used one to disable the vehicle dynamic control on my Subaru. Worked great, on and off at the flick of a switch! 

GTC CT6100 Fuse Socket Connector Kit

http://www.amazon.com/GTC-CT6100-Fuse-Socket-Connector/dp/B001TCXOTW

...I hate abs, I think it's dangerous, and degrading to motorcyclists as a whole lol.
I understand wanting to have a bike in its pure form without having as many of the electronics.. but how does ABS make a bike dangerous?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

...I hate abs, I think it's dangerous, and degrading to motorcyclists as a whole lol.
I understand wanting to have a bike in its pure form without having as many of the electronics.. but how does ABS make a bike dangerous?

I personally feel when the abs is triggered you're only getting maybe 70% braking power. I just don't feel like the technology is better than a human hand, not yet anyway.  But again just my opinion, to each there own.

I personally feel when the abs is triggered you're only getting maybe 70% braking power. I just don't feel like the technology is better than a human hand, not yet anyway.  But again just my opinion, to each there own.
With all due respect, your opinion on this matter is pretty far from the facts about ABS.  This is about as comprehensive a breakdown as you'll find of ABS functionality on modern motorcycles: <http://www.therideadvice.com/abs-motorcycles-vs-non-abs-motorcycles-need-motorcycle-abs/>

I'll admit that the pulsing feel at the rear lever (haven't locked up the front myself yet) is a little... disconcerting... and if you prefer the tactile sensation of fully locking your tires up when you exceed available grip, then go for it, but please be weary of spreading misinformation to other riders here... especially in matters of riding safety.