Lifting the fuel tank

Stumpyone

Hey guys.  I need to lift the fuel tank on my 2019 900GT to get at a fuse holder for my auxiliary lights (why its there i will never know). Is there a step by step guide to remove all the fairing and covers to allow that anywhere?

cheers

Mark

I am not aware of any step by step guide, but the factory shop manual will be helpful for just about any job you will do yourself.

I also have a 2019.  This bike is a bit easier to disassemble than the other bikes I have owned.  For starters it does not have a lot of fairings and fasteners.  Take your time and go step by step.  Use your cell phone to take photos along the way so reassembly will be easier.  If you need to work below the fuel tank, it is easier if you just remove it completely.  Better to do this when the fuel level is low.

Best of luck.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On my 2015 model I just lift the rear of the tank and put a small plank of wood across the frame rails to keep it lifted. That way I don’t have to undo the fuel pipes.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, BBB said:

On my 2015 model I just lift the rear of the tank and put a small plank of wood across the frame rails to keep it lifted. That way I don’t have to undo the fuel pipes.

I have a 2019 GT.  Ditto.  And you can turn the tank 180° with fuel lines/hoses still connected to give you all the room you need with it now sitting where seat is normally.

• Thumbsup 3

Plenty of good advice so far, ie, factory service manual, taking pics along the way, 2x4 wood to prop tank, etc. Also search on YouTube, lots of videos online. On the latest Tracer generation like mine, there wasn't anything but luckily the MT-09 was similar and found many videos to help minus a few plastic pieces and fairing. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Stumpyone said:

Hey guys.  I need to lift the fuel tank on my 2019 900GT to get at a fuse holder for my auxiliary lights (why its there i will never know). Is there a step by step guide to remove all the fairing and covers to allow that anywhere?

I would research some Tracer maintenance videos on youtube if looking for the step-by-step proceedure.  There are fuses under the seat and behind the right hand fairing panel.

There was a recent post where I mentioned the merits of any new bike owner familiarizing themself with basic maintenance procedures including removing the fairing panels.  Knowing how to get access to the battery, fuse blocks and airbox will save you a lot of frustration in the future. 

The first time removing the fairing panels takes some patience until you know the drill as some parts fit into or under another piece like a puzzle.  After you have done it a few times (or a few dozen times) it can be done in minutes. 

As @mikerbiker mentioned, if you need to get under the tank, remove the seat and put a folded towel in its place, remove all of the mount bolts for the tank and lift it straight up a few inches and turn it 180 degrees backward and place it on the towel, so you don't need to remove the electrical plug or fuel line.  When I rotate the tank, I stand on the left side of the bike and rotate the tank clock-wise, when I replace the tank I turn it back around counter clock-wise so the lines don't get twisted or kinked.

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 12/28/2023 at 4:04 PM, betoney said:

I would research some Tracer maintenance videos on youtube if looking for the step-by-step proceedure.  There are fuses under the seat and behind the right hand fairing panel.

There was a recent post where I mentioned the merits of any new bike owner familiarizing themself with basic maintenance procedures including removing the fairing panels.  Knowing how to get access to the battery, fuse blocks and airbox will save you a lot of frustration in the future. 

The first time removing the fairing panels takes some patience until you know the drill as some parts fit into or under another piece like a puzzle.  After you have done it a few times (or a few dozen times) it can be done in minutes. 

As @mikerbiker mentioned, if you need to get under the tank, remove the seat and put a folded towel in its place, remove all of the mount bolts for the tank and lift it straight up a few inches and turn it 180 degrees backward and place it on the towel, so you don't need to remove the electrical plug or fuel line.  When I rotate the tank, I stand on the left side of the bike and rotate the tank clock-wise, when I replace the tank I turn it back around counter clock-wise so the lines don't get twisted or kinked.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:45 PM, Torbeach said:

This might help. It has the steps for removing panels. 

many thanks guys, great advice and thanks for the link to the throttle balancing. that will give me all i need. 

happy new year.

cheers

Mark

21 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

As betoney said, I know of no fuses under the tank...

OP mentioned these are for auxiliary lights, so I read it as something aftermarket or added by a PO. 

• Thumbsup 3

Not too hard to lift the tank.  I always take a plastic parts box and but the fasteners and screws from each step or panel in one spot and in order.  That way assemble is reverse and helps me not get confused.  Some of the screws are different lengths and it's easy enough to miss steps.  One of the fairing pieces slips down over a pin and about half the time I miss that step and have to go back and re-do it.  

Whenever you lift the tank, after re-seating it make sure all the vent hoses are properly connected.  ON my CBR600RR I had a tank vent line slip off and I was lowering it.  I took the bike out for a test ride and stalled it and dropped it!  Act first I thought it was steaming but after I quickly picked it up realized it was gas running down onto the engine!  Still don't know how it didn't catch on fire!  the was a 4" circle of gasoline on the pavement after I picked it up.  Waited a few minutes to start it and then rode it home.