First ride of the year

betoney

• Supporting Member

42F and sunny, perfect for getting out for a New Years Day ride.  I was hoping to stop at a favorite burger place about an hour away but as I pulled into the parking lot I saw that they were closed for the holiday (I should have known), I still had a very nice morning ride.

IMG_3172.thumb.jpg.b682890d247547cf461b469b0433a381.jpg

IMG_3174.thumb.jpg.bf1a9edd01c002abcbf92c3ba659405f.jpg

Anyone else have a tradition of riding on New Years Day, rain or shine?

• Thumbsup 7
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I was actually thinking about it till we got 1/2" of snow Saturday night and out came the salt parade. Was really liking this no snow winter.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

I usually try to get out as late as possible in December.  But for a  NYD ride the weather here is too iffy to enable a tradition.  If you watch the Bear's game highlights from yesterday you'll see the snow we got.

So attached is my annual NYD ode to riding for the year pic...

PMS Parked MC Syndrome.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, OZVFR said:

Bloody hell, I complain here if a winters day gets below 15*C. 

I hear you.  I have a son-in-law from the cold climes that says it's warm at around 20C when I say it's cool to getting cold.  All depends on your perspective from where in the world you live I guess. 😏

17 hours ago, betoney said:

Missed it this year, riding buddies having a turn of luck on their bikes either being serviced or needing tires or parts. We usually either go to Westport, or do a loop up to Elma around Satsop silo looking site.

Glad you got out there! We saw a few riders although not as much probably due to the dense fog which didn't seem to lift or clear out.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, OZVFR said:

I celebrate if a winter day ever gets that warm, that would be considered a heat wave around here. 🤣

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, robzilla said:

Missed it this year, riding buddies having a turn of luck on their bikes either being serviced or needing tires or parts. We usually either go to Westport, or do a loop up to Elma around Satsop silo looking site.

Glad you got out there! We saw a few riders although not as much probably due to the dense fog which didn't seem to lift or clear out.

Next time you are in that area, try heading up to the Wynoochee dam instead. https://maps.app.goo.gl/qiEBTDHKVpft8yuK9

The first 12 miles heading North out of Montesano is farmland road with very light to moderate traffic, the next 22 miles up to the dam is endless sweeping curves on perfect pavement with ZERO TRAFFIC, there is nothing out there, very easy to keep it at 75-80mph (or more 👍🏻) and then turn around and ride it again back to the highway!!!  Round trip from the highway to the dam and back to the highway is almost 70 miles of glorious curves.

Highly recommend doing it on a nice sunny summer day, you can add in Satsop on the way back as well.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

The first 12 miles heading North out of Montesano is farmland road with very light to moderate traffic, the next 22 miles up to the dam is endless sweeping curves on perfect pavement with ZERO TRAFFIC, there is nothing out there, very easy to keep it at 75-80mph (or more 👍🏻) and then turn around and ride it again back to the highway!!!  Round trip from the highway to the dam and back to the highway is almost 70 miles of glorious curves.

You're painting a wonderful image in my mind there betony. 😏👍

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 12:39 AM, OZVFR said:

We've had a crazy mild winter so far ... think -10ºC is about the coldest.  A few days were up to +6ºC.  I would have ridden but the roads are a mess of salt and sand.  It can get cold here, and I'm not even that far north. 

20240103_043726.jpg.4f6201d5f10ede4692b4f61ad758ceba.jpg

20240103_043657.jpg.668ebf7d2b6b6351e152953bcc794144.jpg

Edited by Heavy
  • Confused 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Supporting Member
On 1/3/2024 at 7:43 PM, Heavy said:

20240103_043726.jpg.4f6201d5f10ede4692b4f61ad758ceba.jpg

-36 C !!!!!  🥶  I took a look at the temperature of my freezer and it's 'only' -18 C.

How does anything outside even survive in those kind of temperatures?!  Wow!

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

-36 C !!!!!  🥶  I took a look at the temperature of my freezer and it's 'only' -18 C.

How does anything outside even survive in those kind of temperatures?!  Wow!

When we lifted the first Sears Tower antenna tower sections with an original model Sikorsky Skycrane S-64E, we were VERY worried if it could lift the bottom 18,000 pound (8165 kg) 22 foot (6.7 m) high 8 foot on-side triangular bases because the helo had a max 20k # capacity at 32F and the high was going to be -24F and the wind was a steady 15 mph; max lift wind speed.  Felt temp was -51F.  Twin 450p hp kero gas turbofan jet engines give max power at 32F but geometrically loose goose below that.

I was out in an empty, open full City square block for 4 days  inspecting the bolted bracket arm connections and attaching the oak reinforced fiberglass eye mullions.  I was tasked with epoxy bonding the viscoelastic damping pads but it was WAY too cold to even get the 50/50 part A & B out of the can let alone mix it.  They built a plywood shed for me with a Kerosene heater but I imagined getting blown up in it by the epoxy fumes.  We ended up packing taping the pads on.

The main roof is 1,464' AGL and the antenna spires top out at 1,721 feet AGL (525 mtrs).

If you spit it bounced when it hit the ground.

I could hardly walk in triple base layers and double insulated cover-alls. I slipped from on wet steel and fell back onto a corner bracket and it ripped through all the layers and cut one of my ass cheeks.  It didn't hurt too bad as it froze quickly, blood and all.  Finished out my shift though.

I still hang from towers and spires after starting in 1970.

It's not the fall that kills you.

It's the sudden stop.

If you piss off the Sears antenna tower from the 1685 AGL hatches, it ends up in Gary Indiana.   We only work at night when they go to their offsite stand-by antennas. The 5mil watt FM antennas will cook you like a baked potato. 

• Sad 1

On 1/1/2024 at 9:39 PM, betoney said:

42F and sunny, perfect for getting out for a New Years Day ride.  I was hoping to stop at a favorite burger place about an hour away but as I pulled into the parking lot I saw that they were closed for the holiday (I should have known), I still had a very nice morning ride.

IMG_3172.thumb.jpg.b682890d247547cf461b469b0433a381.jpg

IMG_3174.thumb.jpg.bf1a9edd01c002abcbf92c3ba659405f.jpg

That truly is a good looking bike you have there mate.

I'd love to get another belly pan for my '15 like I had on my Tracer back home in England , but I have other things above it on the ' to do list ' 

29-06-17_044.jpg

• Thumbsup 1