Fuel Tank Capacity

Ran out of gas for the second time yesterday, and for the second time filled up with 4.2 gallons.  The specs say the tank should hold 4.8 gallons.  Anyone else run into this, or did I get the only FJ with the economy tank?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
I ran 40 miles on reserve and got 17.99 litres in the supposed 18 litre tank.

18 litres is 3.95 imperial gallons or 4.755 US gallons
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Not sure about reserve.  I've been calculating down from the typical 40 miles per gallon I get, gauged by past performance.  At the listed 4.8 gals. I should be able to get at least 180 miles per full tank.  But this time I ran out at 157.  40mpg at 4.2 gals. comes out to about 160 miles, so the mileage figure seems to be correct.  I had this problem with a car once and finally got Subaru to admit they had misstated the fuel capacity spec. in the manual.  Not a big deal since most of my riding is commuting, but I am curious if others have run into this.

I'm not sure what my tank holds but I am absolutely certain the fuel gauge isn't very accurate. So I use the my #1 trip counter and reset it every fuel fill-up. I will say I can get to around 180 miles when the gauge starts to flash. When that happens, I REALLY NEED TO GET FUEL. 

• Premium Member
I'm not sure what my tank holds but I am absolutely certain the fuel gauge isn't very accurate. So I use the my #1 trip counter and reset it every fuel fill-up. I will say I can get to around 180 miles when the gauge starts to flash. When that happens, I REALLY NEED TO GET FUEL. 
Fuel gauge is consistent when you get used to it. I don't like the asymmetric LCD blocks though. 
Psychologically, you may need to get fuel but unless you bike is different to all others, you have an easy 20 miles on reserve and maybe 40 miles if you push your luck like me (well, not really, I was under test conditions with 4 litres of petrol in a can in my topbox)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Hwy speeds in B mode gets me OVER 50mpg ;  210m B4 resv.    In standard mode 160-170 resv 45mpg ;Good wear on my Angel GT tires
That's quite interesting. In another thread, many people were complaining they got worse gas mileage in B mode, which I know is counter intuitive. I've personally not stuck with a single mode through a full tank yet so I can't say one way or another.

I average 58.3 mpg on the computer. I have checked it manually a couple times its fairly accurate. When i bought the bike it had no fuel in it. The dealer forgot to fill it. Im driving down the road wondering what the flashing E is on the dash. I drove a good 10 miles before filling it I think it took 4.2 gallons. One should probably fill it with fuel when the E is flashing.

Dang, how are you guys getting over 50mpg? The best I've seen is 48mpg going to visit my parents, but I was going 80.

As far as capacity, the light comes on at 4 gallons. To fill the tank up as much as possible the bike needs to be upright. I fuel up sitting on the bike, I let the pump click and then slowly fill it until I see gas sloshing around the bottom of the metal baffle (if that's what it's called). If you don't top it up the way the manual tells you to, then you'll be down at least half a gallon.

• Premium Member
I got 52mpg on one leg of my road trip last weekend, and 31mpg on another. In normal commuting I get 44-46mpg.

As others said, fill the bike on the sidestand. I think 4.3 gallons is the most I've put in during a fill up.