What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Question; What's the consensus on replacing just the chain or replacing sprockets as well? Rear sprocket looks fine to me.
I left my rear sprocket too because it didn't show any wear. The drive sprocket was slightly worn at 13K miles. I could barely see the wear when compared side-by-side to a new drive sprocket. I replaced it because the drive sprocket is cheap and easy to replace. [a href=http://sprocketcenter.com/street-sprocket-applications/yamaha/fj-09-2015-2016/525-sprockets-stock-pitch/jt-1591-525-pitch-chromoly-steel-front-sprocket-yamaha.html]www.sprocketcenter.com[/a] 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

After that is complete. I would then loosen the axle pinch bolts and "bounce" the front end to ensure there is no binding in the forks.

That is the part that I am confused about.  When I do this procedure, I don't remove or even loosen the axle, therefore it would be impossible to alter the wheel/ABS sensor alignment.  All I am doing is effectively extending or compressing each fork leg by a few millimeters. Now, if I remove the wheel for any reason, I always use the procedure that Bruce described.

But... (and it's a big but) loosening the axle, pinch bolt, etc has NO effect on fork alignment on a fork of this design. There, I said it. This whole 'bouncing thing' is from the days of 'conventional' forks with twin pinch bolts on each fork bottom, (such as an FJR or Honda ST1300) not upside-down forks with the type of axle that the FJ has. Look at the axle closely; it's a shouldered bolt with an integral nut that has no option of position -it's either tight or it's not. It's so idiot proof, even I can do it. You can leave it loose, bounce the front end, but as soon as you tighten the axle, the fork tubes are going to move (or not) to their 'installed' position -there's nothing you can do to change that. The single pinch bolt on the right leg is merely a safety-pin to keep the axle from turning out "just in case".
If it makes you feel better to bounce the front end with all the bolts and the axle loose, by all means, enjoy. But your efforts will be for naught as soon as you tighten the axle.
Keep Asheville weird!

Guess I will be ordering some new tires today...  
http://i.imgur.com/OmKwaKz.jpg

Picked this up on the way home from work. I will plug it until the new tires come in.
What's the general concensus on riding tubeless tires with a plug? I've personally picked up screws/nails on 2 fresh-ish tires, plugged them and then rode 3-4k miles until replacement.

Be sensible about it.
A plug where this particular screw head is will wear, one in the tread won't suffer as much. If the tyre stays up after the 'get you home' period it should be ok, but I'd also want to do a ride that kept the tyre at temperature for while. Don't forget you have a plug in it. I've personally run tyres for 4k using the sticky string plugs. Regular pressure checks for sure.

• Supporting Member
Last summer I put on a new set of Angel GT's and went out for a ride to scrub them in.  I stopped to get gas and noticed a large nail in the new rear tire, after only 30 miles.  >:D I used my Dynaplug to plug the hole and continued on with my 300 mile ride.  I usually ride fairly aggressively, but took it easy on the plugged tire.  When I'm leaned over ripping through some flowing sweepers at 80-90+ mph, I have to have 100% confidence in my tires.
Some will say they have a few thousand miles on a plugged tire, I personally don't want to chance it.
I ordered a new tire when I got home that afternoon.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Be sensible about it.

I personally don't want to chance it.  

So the general consensus seems to be "err on the side of caution", ok, cool but that eats up play money vs. the alternative of just riding it out.

Observed evidence for me is a plugged tire works just fine, anyone have first-hand experience of a plugged tire failing?

Be sensible about it.
 I personally don't want to chance it.

So the general consensus seems to be "err on the side of caution", ok, cool but that eats up play money vs. the alternative of just riding it out.

Observed evidence for me is a plugged tire works just fine, anyone have first-hand experience of a plugged tire failing?
I've ridden with plugged tires for thousands of miles without any problems when I was a broke college student... I certainly understand replacing the tire immediately to be safe though.

I will be replacing mine because the center of the tire is to the wear bar already so I wouldn't get too much more out of the tires before having to replace anyway.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

i remember the first time I had a $200 tire that picked up a nail 10 miles in.... sigh, good times :)

for years I followed the rule of no plugged tires. Then I got tired of buying new tires. Never had a failure of a plug other than to continue a slow leak.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Guess I will be ordering some new tires today...  
http://i.imgur.com/OmKwaKz.jpg

Picked this up on the way home from work. I will plug it until the new tires come in.
What's the general concensus on riding tubeless tires with a plug? I've personally picked up screws/nails on 2 fresh-ish tires, plugged them and then rode 3-4k miles until replacement.
I'd lob in a can of Wynn's tyrefix and ride until the tyre is worn out. I have done this at least 3 times since using tubeless tyres. on one of these occasions the tyre was only 500 miles old. I have yet to die. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Ordered spark plugs, new drive chain,( mine has a slight kink in it @16k), and a new clutch cable. Replacing cable because I want to be ahead of the curve. Question; What's the consensus on replacing just the chain or replacing sprockets as well? Rear sprocket looks fine to me.
I didn't replace the sprockets until the second chain. Fist chain went 14,500 miles, second went 17,550 miles and I streached that for 2K. I changed to EK chains with the second one meant for 150 hp bikes. We will see how long it lasts. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Last summer I put on a new set of Angel GT's and went out for a ride to scrub them in.  I stopped to get gas and noticed a large nail in the new rear tire, after only 30 miles.  >:D I used my Dynaplug to plug the hole and continued on with my 300 mile ride.  I usually ride fairly aggressively, but took it easy on the plugged tire.  When I'm leaned over ripping through some flowing sweepers at 80-90+ mph, I have to have 100% confidence in my tires.
Some will say they have a few thousand miles on a plugged tire, I personally don't want to chance it.

betoney:  Please inform me, what is going to go wrong on that plugged tire at full throttle in the corner?  Meaning riding at the pace you  ride at.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member

betoney:  Please inform me, what is going to go wrong on that plugged tire at full throttle in the corner?  Meaning riding at the pace you  ride at.
Red, Other than peace of mind, I have no idea what could happen to a plugged tire, and at 80+ mph, I don't want to find out.  Call it paranoia or call it erring on the side of safety, when it happened, I was getting ready to leave for a week long road trip into N. Cali so I chose to replace it.  I still have it in my garage, who knows, maybe I'm worrying about nothing and may still use it someday. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
If a proper internal patch is used, I have no problem going full tilt on a patched tire. I am referring to the witches hat type internal patch. A plug patch, not so much, but it would probably be fine for normal day to day riding.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)