What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
i remember the first time I had a $200 tire that picked up a nail 10 miles in.... sigh, good times :) 
for years I followed the rule of no plugged tires. Then I got tired of buying new tires. Never had a failure of a plug other than to continue a slow leak.
yeahthat.gif

I've ridden on a lot of plugged tires and never one failure.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

This tells me that there is merit to trying to get the fork legs to self-align prior to tightening the pinch bolt

Correct. I've been known to ride a mile and "hit things" with the pinch (and fender) loose to make sure things get worked out. Then when you come into the shop try to keep the bike as upright as possible when dismounting, put it on the centerstand and then tighten the pinch. Admittedly the above is a little over the top, normally I just push the bike into the side of the sidewalk curb to impart the desired force.

The FJ abs bracket is just a glorified spacer; we don't get a choice on its position. It's either correctly seated or its not.  Yes, we might be getting stiction, be we can't adjust it away with this axle design.
...this was bugging me, so I checked... The right fork leg will float on the axle head with the pinch bolt loosened (photos below show gently forced range...fork forced outward, and then inward... I'd say delta of ~3mm). The ABS bracket, not the fork leg, is the fastening point of contact for the axle head. 
This tells me that there is merit to trying to get the fork legs to self-align prior to tightening the pinch bolt...to reduce stiction. The fender assembly must be fastened to the forks last... otherwise it will act as a brace. Only realized that last part now while checking this.... another Homer moment.

I stand corrected. You are right in that the right fork leg *can* be moved laterally. But why would it 'want' to? If the axle head moves smoothly thru the right fork bottom as it should, it ought to find it's natural, centered position, especially if nothing else was done other than the removal of the front wheel. (Outer fork tubes not disturbed)   
I like Matt's idea of riding a short distance then tightening the pinch bolt, but that's probably not a good choice for most of us. A couple of stoppies ought to do it. ;)

I've done the 'bounce & tighten', and I've done just the 'tighten' on several bikes and have never noticed a difference either way. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Re: the ABS sensor, I don't understand why or how there would be an issue with it binding or getting pinched. It either is seated in place or it's not.

There's certainly no harm in the 'bounce & tighten' method, I guess I should have kept my keyboard/mouth shut. Sigh.
Keep Asheville weird!

yeahthat.gif 
...I haven't experienced a tire puncture... the true test of my chickenness is yet to come.  ???I've experienced a few flat tires from punctures, and none were catastrophic. The tire lost air gradually. The few occasions I used plugs, for a few hundred or a few thousand miles, I couldn't tell the difference. Having said that, what is the price of peace of mind?  I can't argue with somebody that chooses to replace a tire immediately.

Guess I will be ordering some new tires today...  
Picked this up on the way home from work. I will plug it until the new tires come in.
What's the general concensus on riding tubeless tires with a plug? I've personally picked up screws/nails on 2 fresh-ish tires, plugged them and then rode 3-4k miles until replacement.
I've done it, but was never comfortable with it. It was a stress-inducer that I didn't need. Many are perfectly fine with it.
Keep Asheville weird!

i remember the first time I had a $200 tire that picked up a nail 10 miles in.... sigh, good times :) 
for years I followed the rule of no plugged tires. Then I got tired of buying new tires. Never had a failure of a plug other than to continue a slow leak.
yeahthat.gif 
Me too, but the last one I had was large with a lot of carcass damage, so I plugged, rode the 10 miles home at reduced tyre stresses, and bought a new set.  (The front was already plugged from 3000 miles earlier). 

What I wouldn't do is rely on tyre sealant type stuff - and once you spray that in then you will need to replace.  But a proper mushroom plug will ensure the air pressure pushes it home, so there is no chane of failure from deflation, and I would only replace if the carcass is damaged
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

http://i.imgur.com/tXVZBbZ.jpg

Fyi.. I plugged it with a regular tar stick and rubber cement plug kit. I am getting upgraded fork cartridges and rebuilt shock in the next few weeks so I will ride it as is and do the suspension and tires all at once. Not really worried about it. No track days in my future. I will just keep an eye on the tire pressure and ride it like normal.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

http://i.imgur.com/tXVZBbZ.jpg 
Fyi.. I plugged it with a regular tar stick and rubber cement plug kit. I am getting upgraded fork cartridges and rebuilt shock in the next few weeks so I will ride it as is and do the suspension and tires all at once. Not really worried about it. No track days in my future. I will just keep an eye on the tire pressure and ride it like normal.
What suspension you going to?  Someone local?

@fzkenm I'm going with Forks by Matt's (@pattonme) intermediate fork package, and Norwest's shock rebuild. Forks by Matt can include both in his invoice to you if your interested in that.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Pulled the ECU and QS for round 2 with 2WDW... The 1st round i had 2WDW flash my ECU with Woolich race systems presets for the QS, downshift auto blipper and Launch Control to see how it works with the FJ/FZ-09 bikes and had the stock exhaust FJ-09 flash tune installed...Now its being reflashed for Graves Exhaust and the actual dyno tuning will be done on the 2WDW FZ-09 test bike which also has the Graves Exhaust on it, also round 2 will further refine the preset settings to work with the FZ/FJ-09 motors...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
Bike is in shop...ECU is on its way to Washington...front end will be lowered 5mm in triple fork for less woolies, rear preload will be reduced accordingly...should feel kinda different by the time I get it back!

Existing mods include Madstad 24" windscreen, KTM handguards, Shad 36L sides and 48L top, and T-Rex slider assortment.

Bike is in shop...ECU is on its way to Washington...front end will be lowered 5mm in triple fork for less woolies, rear preload will be reduced accordingly...should feel kinda different by the time I get it back! 
Existing mods include Madstad 24" windscreen, KTM handguards, Shad 36L sides and 48L top, and T-Rex slider assortment.
I will be doing something similar in a little over 2 weeks! I hope you are happy with the results.

Fayetteville, GA, USA