What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Just about finished the 4K maintenance today. Just need to inspect cables and lube point, then put everything back together. Throttle bodies were slightly off, but 1/8-1/4 turn of the screw and they lined right up. Too lazy to post pics. Maybe Saturday. :)

• Premium Member
Just about finished the 4K maintenance today. Just need to inspect cables and lube point, then put everything back together. Throttle bodies were slightly off, but 1/8-1/4 turn of the screw and they lined right up. Too lazy to post pics. Maybe Saturday. :)
...just curious... did you look into tweaking the APS? Was it in spec?
I didn't bother.  The readings for two and three were off by less than 1cm Hg and my bike idles smoothly.  I figure I'll dig a bit into the APS if I see a change between 4K and 8K.  I have some video of the gauges after sync, and can post a link if you want.  If you do, I'll throw it up on YouTube.   

2017_03_09_15_03_39_133.jpg

• Premium Member
Waxed the tank, greased all the pivot points, and put my baby back together... well, mostly together.  Still have to do tires, coolant checks, and put all the fairings back on.

2017_03_11_15_02_27_334.jpg

2017_03_11_15_07_23_673.jpg

40,000 km service done (24,855 miles).

Valve clearance required adjusting on the exhaust - cyl 2 lobe 1 & cyl 3 lobe 1 were both out heaps.
The local bike shop in North Sydney was open and I was lucky he had a couple of shims in the right size......phew!

Brake pads are still good but were very grubby, took me ages to clean them (and those baby bobby pin clip on the front is a PITA to remove and replace), replace the air filter, replaced spark plugs with Iridiums (so should be good for 100,000km  :) ) oil & filter, loobed all the pivot points and levers, adjusted the new DID VM chain (only went on 4000km ago) gave everything the once over.

Have to thank my hubby for doing the valve clearances for me!!!! (although I did record all the clearances and hunted down the shims), the rest I did myself!

Oh, and for the first time since I've owned the Tracer-FJ09 I was able to get it in the centre stand all on my own.

Busy weekend bu very satifying and just a little chuffed with myself  :)

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
Waxed the tank, greased all the pivot points, and put my baby back together... well, mostly together.  Still have to do tires, coolant checks, and put all the fairings back on. 

2017_03_11_15_02_27_334.jpg

2017_03_11_15_07_23_673.jpg

That is a lovely shade of red
BLB

Put on an Akrapovic ti exhaust, Ohlins shock, and the Yamaha heated grips. Now just waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can take her out and do a shake-down run.

To anyone doing the shock, I definitely recommend removing the rear tank bolts, allowing the tank to pivot forward - it makes getting to the upper shock mount *much* easier.

• Premium Member
Finished the 4K topping off the coolant and then putting all the bits back on. Perfect day for a test ride, 60F with no rain to be seen. Took a nice 30 mile twisty route. Engine is running smooth with just a bit of a grab when in A mode. STD and B are super smooth. Heck it's so nice out, I even wore my new summer gloves.

2017_03_12_14_39_57_557.jpg

2017_03_12_14_41_32_442.jpg

Nice! How do you like the Givi panniers? I have, well, had, the OEM panniers but since I need to get new ones, I'm looking at options. May I ask what made you go with those instead of SW-Motech, Touratech, etc.?
Your question was directed to another member, but I will give you my opinion on Givi panniers. I bought my first Givi's back in the 90's, including the hard to get wing rack for my FJ1200. These were the E360 monokey bags.  I still use them today.  They are rainproof and pretty durable.  I had one of my E360's mounted as a top case on my son's Kawi 250 when he crashed.  The top case acted like a frame slider and prevented a lot of body damage.  I had to replace the reflective plastic "ring" and smoothed out a few scrapes on the bag, but it still works fine.   Since then, I have picked up a set of  E21 side bags and a 55 liter top case.   I have all 5 bags keyed alike.  I typically use the E21's for commuting and the 360's for trips.  The 55 liter top box  gets swapped between several bikes. I can fit my laptop, in padded case, and my soft sided briefcase in the E21 bags.
The wing rack was good, but broken mounting brackets was a reported by several FJ1200 owner.  Because of this I bought SW Motech racks for my next four bikes.  The SW Motech racks are robust, but expensive.  I've never had a problem, and when not mounted, the mounting brackets are not very noticeable.
IMO, the Yamaha racks with color matched FJR bags have the best styling, but the racks look noticeable when bags aren't mounted.  Since I already had Givi bags, my only options for the FJ09 were SWMotech quick lock racks or the new Givi rapid release racks. 
I bought the Givi rapid release racks because they looked slightly less noticeable when not mounted compared to SW Motech, and they were $100 cheaper.  I still have the SW Motech racks from my 1050 Tiger, and briefly thought about altering them to fit my FJ 09, but then I realized don't have a welder and can't weld :D

• Premium Member
Nice! How do you like the Givi panniers? I have, well, had, the OEM panniers but since I need to get new ones, I'm looking at options. May I ask what made you go with those instead of SW-Motech, Touratech, etc.?
Love, love, LOVE them.  I choose them initially because they had the "look" I was going for, was no wider than the handlebars, and could haul all my gear for my daily commute.

I can carry 8 plastic bags worth of groceries in these things.  Beer?  Yeah, several cases.  Waterproof, 100%.  Trust me on this, I live in Vancouver WA and commute to Oregon daily.  Yesterday I was so wet from the ride home, my gear wasn't even dry by morning.

Solid mounting system!  Reversible, so you can have them open forward or backward depending on preference.

All in an aluminum package, which I prefer over a HDPE (plastic) solution.

• Premium Member
At 18,500 miles had a new drive chain install. My original one had a couple of kinks in it. New Spark plugs ( dealer didn't have them in stock at 16,000), fresh oil, and oil filter. Throttle bodies synced. My clutch cable is still fine so I'm holding off on replacement. Life is good...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I received my new seat.  It's a Sargent Sport Plus and I ordered the front only, with heat.  Can't wait to get it installed and try it out.  The high temp today (in Georgia!) stayed in the 30s.  Looks like I'll get my chance this weekend.  

Ride Safe! 

Another day in the garage :)

1. Tank traction grip by R&G. The best grip I ever felt. Trackdays are waiting :)

img3076.jpgimg3076_1.jpg

2. Denali Mini Soundbomb by R&G. Sounds great! City is waiting!

denali_soundbomb_mini_electromagnetic_low_tone_horn_zoom.jpg

3. Fender Extender by R&G. Ordered Black. Received Black Gloss. Spent 3 minutes to make it matte :)

4. $10 ebay chinese radiator guard. Pure black. Fits perfect. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Aluminum-Radiator-Guard-Grill-For-YAMAHA-MT09-FZ09-13-14-15-/182487660473

Installed lights, Used the reflector mounts as one of our forum members had done. I was going to just wire them direct, but changed my mind and redid the little dash panel. Moved it to the bottom of the handlebar clamp as per another member.
IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg